What to do????

QuakerMom

Jun 21, 2013
USA
Parrots
One Quaker- Piper
Hello all
As some of you know, I recently purchased a lovely female cockatiel. I was hoping for a male but obviously didn't know how to sex them while I was there in the store lol. She's a beautiful cinnamon split to pied. Not tame but I'm slowly working on it. She still hisses when I get close to the cage to feed or water her.

Previously I had seen an ad on Facebook for a blue Quaker. I looked, but there were a number of comments on him already (everyone wanted him for Christmas) so I just assumed he'd sell quickly and there were too many people in line. So I forgot about it and went on about my business. Yesterday I came across the ad again. He was still available! No one had the Christmas money available to purchase him even though he was reasonably priced. I had to ask about him; he's just beautiful.

Come to find out, this lady breeds blues, pallid blues, and greens! She also breeds Cockatiels. And is within reasonable driving distance. I now have the option to do a partial trade with my Cockatiel for the Quaker!

What would you do? I had originally wanted another Quaker but they aren't as widely available here as Cockatiels are and I couldn't find many. The ones I did find were snatched up before I had a chance at them since they were from private individuals rather than a breeder.

The blue Quaker is 2 years old, surgically sexed male, and does talk. And evidently cage aggressive because she has to use a towel to get him to step up so she can get him out of his cage. She says he will come out if you leave the door open but it takes a while. He's not a screamer or a plucker.

If I trade for the blue, will him and Piper eventually bond to each other and want nothing to do with me? Can two birds be pair bonded and still be friendly with their owner? I love Piper just how she is and I don't want to mess it up. If I got the blue, I'd more than likely keep them separated for fear they would pair bond and ruin my bond with them.

What do you all think? I don't know much about multiple bird households. Would having two Quakers be different than if I kept the Cockatiel and thus had one Quaker and one Tiel? Obviously if I wound up with both Quakers and they were opposite sexes then there's more to worry about. I don't want any babies. But I'm fairly certain Piper is a male even though I still call her "she".

Please advise :)

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
I would start by getting piper DNA tested so you know for sure. If you kept them in separate cages and maybe bought separate play stands, I don't think there would be much of a problem. However, the blue Quaker sounds a little shy, so if you took him home he will be very insecure for a while. He will probably seek comfort from his own kind, so make sure he bonds to you before he bonds to piper. You could bond with him while he is in quarantine. Also, how would your cockatiel handle a new home? Just some things to consider. If you think you can make it work, then maybe you should pay the little guy a visit to see if he's a good fit :)

OP
Q

QuakerMom

Jun 21, 2013
USA
Parrots
One Quaker- Piper
Thank you, Ann. I'm still up in the air on it. I enjoy the Tiels beautiful whistles. I think right now she'd be happier with other Tiels but that's because she isn't tame yet or settled in. I'm not sure if she'd be stressed about being rehomed again or if she'd be less stressed going to a home with other Tiels. Piper was my first bird (as an adult. We had Budgies growing up) and the Tiel is my first Cockatiel. I've seen other Cockatiels but never interacted with them. Piper settled in right away. She even chattered and talked the whole way home when I first got her. She's been a great first bird.

Right now I'm leaning towards keeping the Tiel. Even though I've only had her a short time, I'm already getting attached to her. And it breaks my heart to see any animal bounced from home to home. I've rescued and fostered enough dogs to see the detrimental effects on them when their "pack" abandons them. As much as II'd love a blue Quaker, maybe it's best if I wait at least until Piper is sexed. And then decide if I can keep up with 3 birds, 2 dogs, a horse, and a barn cat :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts