What type of cage is best for a senior lovebird?

Luffbox

Oct 17, 2013
Parrots
One Lutino Peach Face Lovebird - Female

One Dutch Blue Peach Face Lovebird - Male
I am planning on getting a new cage for my fids Bolt and Blaise. Bolt is getting on in years and does not seem to like heights. Should I get a flight cage for them? I want her to have more room to mozey around in but tall enough for Blaise to traipse around (he likes to pull a batbird when he wants out and part of his let-me-out dance is hanging upside down and bopping his head). I plan on putting a lot of perches in it so as to encourage Bolt to climb instead of nesting in the bottom. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I would recommend a small animal cage....

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Prevue-Products-Chinchilla-495-Earthtone/dp/B001W8MDKO/]Amazon.com: Prevue Pet Products Rat and Chinchilla Cage 495 Earthtone Dusted Rose, 31-Inch by 20-1/2-Inch by 40-Inch: Pet Supplies[/ame]

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Critter-Nation-Single-Unit-Stand/dp/B0085W9CL8/]Amazon.com: Critter Nation Single Unit with Stand: Pet Supplies[/ame]

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Wrought-Levels-Ferret-Chinchilla-Glider/dp/B004G87DXE/]Amazon.com: New Large Wrought Iron 3 Levels Ferret Chinchilla Sugar Glider Cage 30"Length x 18"Depth x 62"Height W/Stand on Wheels *Green*: Pet Supplies[/ame]

Or deck out a flight cage with platforms and ramps.

Jewelz

Oct 26, 2013
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Parrots
Black-cap Conure - 'Felix' -Hatched May. 12/2013
Peach-Face Love Bird - 'Sam' (1990-2013)
When my lovebird became a senior he was going blind and had a neurological problem which made him unstable. I had him in a huge aviary for 98% of his life but when that cage became too difficult for him to navigate I got him a small bow-fronted Superpet EZ Care cage. I arranged several ladders of different lengths all over the cage to help him move around easier and he learned how to use them quite quickly. I also padded the bottom of the cage with a very old, very very soft bath sheet to cushion him if he fell and also to make it easier on his feet when he walked around down there or ate as the food & water dishes were located on the bottom...just in case he lost his balance. I also had heat lamps on him that were placed on the top of his cage. My avian vet in Calgary thought it would help him keep his weight on because his body wasn't having to work so hard to keep warm. We moved him to a cozier place in the house so he never felt alone as well. I had numerous rope toysall over the cage (he didn't chew them anymore) he just loved to snuggle up in them..... In his od age he became very cuddly and affectionate ....small cozy cages are a good option because they offer security & comfort. I will probably do this for all my future senior birds because I saw the quality of Sam's life significantly improve since I made those changes....

Jewelz

Oct 26, 2013
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Parrots
This is the cage Sam was in during his senior years....i took off the play top because thats where the heat lamps went.... I also added in a few more perches to accomodate more ladders as Sam prefered to navigate the ladders to get around. He had so many rope toys in there it would take for ever to explain it :) i tried to keep it 'full' of soft things (which is what he enjoyed at that point) to help him feel secure...especially because he was losing his eye sight. I loved that little cage for Sam. And Sam loved it to. Because of his eye issues the clear front allowed him the best possible view out of the cagew with no bars obstructing his view or disorienting him..... My only regret is that I wasn't wise enough to put him in there earlier.....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 736
Last edited:

Jewelz

Oct 26, 2013
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Parrots
I found some pics of Sam in his geriatric cage when we were first setting it up...we added a bunch more ladders & perches in different parts of his cabe to increase his mobility but this was done over a period of time & observing what he lliked doing

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 17,769
Last edited:

Jewelz

Oct 26, 2013
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Parrots
I am going to try this one more time

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 8,233

Jewelz

Oct 26, 2013
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Parrots
Last pic.... If i can figure it out again

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 5,927

Jewelz

Oct 26, 2013
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Parrots
Sorry the replies are all over the place.... I had trouble attaching them to one message sorry for any inconvenience.....hope it gives you an idea of how you can set up geriatric cages....happy to help if you have other questions

TessieB

Nov 3, 2013
Media
Upstate, South Carolina
Parrots
1 Blue Front Amazon, 1 Yellow Head Amazon, 4 Cockatiels, 2 Parakeets
Just like elderly people, elderly birds have needs unique to their own disability. I've seen older birds whose toes were unable to bend who did well with ramps which looked similar to man-made climbing walls. The tiny concave areas allowed the beak to get a grip if needed and the bumps gave the bird a place to balance with stiff toes.

A bird with a arthritic mandibles has a difficult time navigating anywhere so a smaller cage with food and water located nearby it's favorite perch is advisable. Many of these old timers like a solid platform to rest on while some want to cuddle in corner.

Many mature birds love a 'sunning platform' in one area where they can get those old bones warm. Just make sure they have the ability to move away if they get too hot.

Another thing owners of older birds need to be aware of is careful monitoring of the bowels. Some of these older birds can no longer reach down to keep the vent area clean and may need help in that area. Nothing worse than to be old and have a giant fecal ball stuck on your feathered fanny.

Anyway, to answer your question about your bird: observe and see what he needs. Each one is an individual, and while our feathered friends may not be able to tell you what they want, a sharp-eyed owner will know what to do.

Good luck! Old birds are fun!

OP
Luffbox

Luffbox

Oct 17, 2013
Parrots
One Lutino Peach Face Lovebird - Female

One Dutch Blue Peach Face Lovebird - Male
Thank you guys for the wonderful suggestions. I ended up getting a really nice flight cage and I filled it with perches, ladders, a corner platform, a toilet tent and a sleeping tent, ropes, treat dishes and loads of toys. She is doing much better and wandering the cage. I'll send a photo in a little bit

Most Reactions