What type of hooks do you use

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
for hanging toys in cage ? So far I have tried all these only to have them turn into the main part of the toy they are hanging He can undo all of them. Even the one in the picture. I had a spring loaded one that had a screw go thru shaped like a box almost. Yup he undid that one. And yes I am making sure they are all safe

shopping

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
How about stainless padlocks? You keep the key:D

Last edited:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I have honestly never found a quick link a macaw cannot undo...

I've even put some on with pliers... and it took longer for me to put it on tight, than it did for the bird to unscrew it, and drop it to the floor again...

And that's just SWEEPEA'S beak strength!

Maggie, of course, bit the hinge to her cage in half, so...

quicklink...

Yeah... those are puzzle toys.

OP
Christinenc2000

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
Thanks Yeah that hook is just a picture. It was stainless not quite as big as that one. Cost a lot but he seems to be enjoying it falling.

Ok Well I will just keep attaching. I have used the screw and pliers or rather BF did and yeah it was down and a foot toy the next day. Strange thing is last toy I tied with Sisal rope and it is still hanging LOL Tie wraps seem to bore him also So maybe I will just with those

Last edited:

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
I use zip ties a lot- if he doesn't mess with those, then I'd use those or ss quick links.

If he enjoys messing with these caribeener type ones, I would remove them and not use them- there's the danger of getting it open and an end getting jammed up under the lower mandible.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Sweepea went through a stage that lasted around six months, where she nearly drove me crazy. She disconnected every toy, not just on her cage, but also on the playstand, and then all the other bird's cages...

As well as talking cages and playstands apart!

And it was especially amusing if another bird was trying to play with it at the time you snuck up on them and disconnected it...

DRAMA REWARD! YEAH!

It took me a good 6-8 months to get this one under control. And part of it took her crashing the playstand down on herself - yeah - the big one - (twice!) For her to stop doing it...

In fact, on more than one occasion, I broke out the old Birdie cookbook, and showed her my recipe for RED FRONTED MACAW A L'ORANGE... (I kept that recipe right next to the skewered dusky conure in honey BBQ glaze... )

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I use zip ties a lot- if he doesn't mess with those, then I'd use those or ss quick links.

If he enjoys messing with these caribeener type ones, I would remove them and not use them- there's the danger of getting it open and an end getting jammed up under the lower mandible.

Mine see zip ties, and it's like a red flag to a bull... Okay, Dad, time me... 3 seconds or less!

With my macaws it's always less...

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Thank you everyone. Mark you are to funny. That bird knows you would not cook them LOL

Trust me, I was chasing that little Dusky around the house with a skewer in my hand at one point and time... made the glaze... had the BBQ all fired up and ready...

Demitre was a spoiled bird syndrome conure when I got him. Probably wouldn't have been all that tasty, but at the time, it would have felt good!

We eventually got him turned around, with the HUGE assist from my amazon... who took it upon herself to get in his face every time he got out of line.

THIS IS HOW THE BIRDS DISCIPLINE EACH OTHER FOLKS... I'VE WATCHED THEM DO IT!

Until Sally intervened, frankly, I was losing the battle with him...

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon

Mine see zip ties, and it's like a red flag to a bull... Okay, Dad, time me... 3 seconds or less!

With my macaws it's always less...

It all depends on the individual- I wouldn't use zip ties if my birds were attracted to them....that would be a waste of time and zip ties lol

But since her bird doesn't care for them, then it would be a super cheap alternative to SS quick links.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)

Most Reactions

Latest posts