What type of water do you feed your parrots?

OP
Ninjette

Ninjette

Sep 10, 2014
California
Parrots
Red-Headed Amazon - Melon,
Jenday Conure - Halo,
Budgies - Mickey and Pluto
I wonder if boiled water is ok if I don't have a filter for now. My dogs and I'm drinking boiled water, and the birds drink tap. Their previous owners fed them tap water, but I do wanna switch them to boiled water or better alternatives

I wouldn't use boiled water even one of those smaller portable Britta water filters would be a better option and not too expensive.

If you're boiling your water to purify it that's one thing, but if you're boiling to remove heavy metals, you might want to look at filtering your boiled as just boiling doesn't remove heavy metals.....look at distilling processes.....

should I do both? boil and filter? or just filtering the water is fine? Thanks! I will go to Riteaid to get one after work

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
Just filtering it should be fine, I am sure you will enjoy the taste better than boiled as well. :D

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
I guess this thread just goes to show.............. If your bird is drinking........... Its ok .
I really do not like the taste of our water. Its well water but like I said we have to use a softener because of the HARD water. I mean HARD. Rust stains appear if we don't. I also have a brita water filter in the kitchen. My Fid will be using tap water from now on after reading all this.

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
I have to change the 2 big water dishes 3-5+ times a day, and 2 smaller ones once a day, so bottled water is out of question for me. You don't want them to drink from the water they just bathed in or soaked their food in. :D I use either tap or from Brita filter if there is enough in it. we have pretty good faucet water here. My gcc prefers orange juice to water though and is teaching other birds to do the same - I always have a small cup on the table for them. :D I never thought the water was any problem at all.

4dugnlee

Apr 27, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Sassy - 13 y.o. Blue Front Amazon, Cisco - 6 y.o. Sun Conure, Peanut - 8 y.o. U2
Fred - 2(?) y.o. Cockatiel, Ginger - 3 or 4(?) y.o. Cockatiel
I have well water here. We, however, drink spring water that we collect ourselves, and that is what the fids get too.

OP
Ninjette

Ninjette

Sep 10, 2014
California
Parrots
Red-Headed Amazon - Melon,
Jenday Conure - Halo,
Budgies - Mickey and Pluto
I bought organic carrot juice too lol will see if my fids will drink it when I get home haha

mrgoogls

May 6, 2012
Parrots
1 male Quaker-Cooper
I have always given all of my pets, including cooper and my lizards. It hasnt harmed any of them over the past few years. I would say most tap water is safe

Most Reactions