Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
When I was a child, my first bird was a peach front conure. Later, I had a couple cockatiels, and now I have a green cheek conure. I definately reccommend conures. :)

mellykyitus

Oct 22, 2010
Media
south wales UK
Parrots
Angel the blue and gold macaw, mimsy the lesser sulphur too, rocky the galah & willow the blue crowned conure.
a budgie named mickey when i was younger. i love budgies, they are so sweet and playful x

kerry

Jul 3, 2011
In a suburb of Minneapolis, MN
Parrots
Yellow Naped Amazon -female, Umbrella Cockatoo - female.
My first bird was a young hand fed cockatiel.
That led to a hand fed male Yellow Naped Amazon, to a baby hand fed female Citron Crested Cockatoo, to a hand fed female African Gray, to a hand fed Blue & Gold Macaw to a Rosebreasted Cockatoo.
Yes I would recommend a cockatiel as a first bird.

Nakiska

May 30, 2011
Washington
Parrots
4 Cockatiels 2 males Chicken Little & Charlie, 2 Females Chiquita and Sweet pea. Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Franklin and our now tame, rescued feral Pigeon - Belle.
My first bird was 2 parakeets. I loved 'em, but they weren't tame and I think I'd have enjoyed them more if I'd have gotten already hand tame ones. They played and whistled good and all...but I guess I wanted something more "scritchable" which these guys weren't and parakeet pinches can hurt! LOL They passed and I didn't have anymore birds and really no desire for anymore either.

Years and years later my father in law found a gray tiel in his front yard, he flew down to him. He posted an ad in the lost and found of the local classifieds and put signs up...after a couple weeks, no one claimed this bird and he didn't want him, so he called me up and of course I couldn't say no.

I named him Chaco and he taught me more then I ever learned from my keets. I always told him that I didn't know who had him before me, but who ever it was much miss you something awful! Someone had lost a VERY NICE tiel. Sadly, I lost him the same way a year later and I was soooo devistated that it took me 5 years before I decided that YES, I truly wanted another bird.

Because I loved Chaco soo much I knew the only bird I'd want again was a Cockatiel. The only one in the store when I got the urge to buy a bird was a Lutino Tiel, sold to me as a male, but quickly came to the conclusion that she is DEFINITELY female. She bonded with my husband the first time she met him. She's the sweetest girl.

Then one night, at the petstore to buy a new swing for Chiquita, we saw this little malnurished, ugly ratty looking baby pied tiel. Only tiel in the store. So out of pitty we purchased him, our "Chicken Little" who has come soo far in such a short period of time, it's hard to believe that he was ever a psychotic freak who'd take chunks out of your finger if you got to close. He even talks now too!

Then we couldn't say NO to a yellow sided green cheek conure who picked us out from afar. He's a handfed, extremely well socialized boy who had brought unexplainable joy to our family.

I would definitely recommend tiels, keets or GCC's as a first bird. Although I think that keet's (if not hand fed/socialized/tame when you get them) have a tendency to be a bit more skittish and take a bit more patience to tame down, then say a tiel or a conure would be, (on average)

After owning all the birds I've had and have now and comparing differences in personalities...my highest recommendation would go to the Green Cheek Conure, especially as a family bird. Then the tiel and then the 'keet. And it's a very close, nearly a tie between the conure and the tiel. :)

Toni

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
Bean the Blue Front Amazon, Chico the Ringneck, and Ida the African grey
My first was a keet named Sam. I built him a little perch out of wood I found outside so that he could sit and watch TV with me. Most of the time he just cuddled in my lap. He loved spending warm summer days on the screened in porch. He was a great little bird.

JJones1719

Mar 9, 2011
Media
MD
Parrots
7 Year old SI Eclectus named Guapo, I have a 6 year old GW Macaw named Neleno
I went from small, medium, then very large. My first bird was a blue Parakeet who lives for approx 12 years, his name was blueboy, he had a 2-3 word vocabulary, He never wanted to be handled but really liked showers.
I currently own a 5 year old SI Male Eclectus, his name is Guapo and very sweet, has approx 60-70 word vocabulary and goes to everyone. I would highly advise you to purchase the SI Male Eclectus. I also own a very bonded Green Wing Macaw who's name is Neleno and he is 3 years old. He is very bonded to me and my Vet who are the only people who can handle him. He demands lots of Attn. I would only advise you on the Green Wing or anyother Macaw as long as you have prior large bird experiance. Best of luck. Joe

patterson

Nov 3, 2010
belfast, northern ireland
Parrots
vincent-b/g macaw archie-alexandrine and coming in june greenwing macaw and millitary macaw this year too fingers crossed
our first bird was an alexandrine. then 4 months later a baby blue and gold, that was last year we also have a greenwing macaw comming in october we

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Merlin a Red Crowned Amazon
My first bird was a 'keet named Pepper I had when I was small. She was a great little bird. Loved to cuddle. She drown in a bowl of tadpoles.:(

stephend

Jun 7, 2011
Denver
Parrots
Acorn - a Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure;
Bob - a Cockatiel;
Cricket - an American Budgie
A family of robins who built a nest in a tree I was standing under at about eye level. They only stayed for a couple of months but they we pretty and fun to talk to.

badbowtie08

Apr 25, 2011
Media
Parrots
Nico our Hahn's Macaw
we had cocktiels growing up and now since saturday we r the owners of a hahn's macaw

Hochimama

May 5, 2011
Malaysia
Parrots
{used to have} Fisher LoveBird, PeachFace Lovebird, Albino Indian RingNeck {used to have}
PeachFace and Fishers Lovebird are my first ~~ later on I sold it to a friend of mine and bought an IRN ~~but sadly it has passes away ~~ so currently i dont have any birds. But both lovebirds and irn are fun to have ~ they are very playful, smart and also a good companion ~~

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
My first bird was a Mitred Conure. I bought him from a pet shop. He bit me while I tried to handle him in the pet shop. So I decided to buy him because he had spunk. I later tamed him. But unclipped wings and an open door a few years later was all it took and he was gone in a flash never to be seen again. I have also owned numerous Cockatiels years ago, some were fosters and sone I owned fosters.

I currently only have a Senegal Parrot named Tiki, who is my baby.

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 203

oled

Jul 10, 2011
South Sweden
Parrots
Ville a double yellow head Amazon
My first was a Parakeet and then a Yellow headed Amazon, then a Yellow fronted Amazon, then a yellow fronted Amazon (Molly died for 3 week ago) and now a Yellow headed Amazon (Polly). Hopfully my life will be more stabile in one direction so I am able to keep my lovely Polly

Last edited:

kitt

Mar 27, 2011
Michigan
Parrots
Ava(peach faced lovebird) and my very first bird
Leroy (black headed caique) my little moody bird
Dusty (hahns macaw) my clown

Most Reactions