What would happen to your bird/s if something should happen to you

Mel

Mar 30, 2010
Media
Sydney Australia
Parrots
Eclectus - Shadow /
Sulfur Crested - Chicka
After reading Melonysbaby's post I was wondering if anyone here have plans for your parrot if something should happen to you. I know it's a morbid topic but considering the ages some of the parrot breeds can get to it's a possibility they out-live us.

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
I have made such very close friends on some of the bird forums. One in particular has many members in Maryland where I live. We have all gotten together on many occaissions and really have grown to know and respect eachother well. So my birds are going to 3 different members. I have been to thier homes and witnessed thier love and care of thier birds.
I have made a folder on each bird. It includes diet preferences, toy and cage info. Past vet examines. Thier past history when I rescued or rehomed them. Thier dailey schedule, etc.. My children are aware of my wishes.

OP
Mel

Mel

Mar 30, 2010
Media
Sydney Australia
Parrots
Eclectus - Shadow /
Sulfur Crested - Chicka
I have made a folder on each bird. It includes diet preferences, toy and cage info. Past vet examines. Thier past history when I rescued or rehomed them. Thier dailey schedule, etc..

What a great idea.

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
GC that is a great idea! I think I will make a folder like that. I don't think my current birds will outlive me (at least i hope not), but if for some awful reason they had to be re-homed or cared for by another person, this would give me such peace of mind.

parrotqueen

Jan 14, 2010
Media
United States
Parrots
Pineapple & Sunshine--Gray/wildtype male cockatiels
I still have yet to make any further planning. But should something happen to me, I am confident that my parents would take good care of them for me.

Greycloud, that is a fabulous idea to make a folder. I'll certainly take that into consideration.

caliopi

Jan 30, 2010
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot
King Parrot
Getting my first parrot when I am in my mid forties this was something we had to consider before we took on having a parrot and we had long discussions with my kids to ensure if our bird outlived me and my husband that one of them was prepared to take on the responsibility of taking Puffin. All three of them said that they would but agreed it would be the person Puffin was most comfortable with. I think it is something most people should be considering before getting a parrot with a long lifespan.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Ecclipse and I have e-mailed one another about the abovementioned topic.
If anything unfortunate happen to her, I would become Hugo's guardian. God had another plan for Hugo "The Boss", he is now seated at the head of the table at Rainbow Bridge.
If anything had to happen to me, my son Steven said he would love to consider becoming Mishka's guardian. He loves Mishka dearly.
He is presently studying at University, time is of the essence. Unfortunately lectures times change each semester. He would not be able to spend many hours with her, giving her all the love and attention she is used to. Training her, each night and sticking to a routine.
Ecclipse has agreed, she would then become Mishka's guardian. Of all the bird people here in South Africa, I could not have asked for a better guardian in Ecclispe. If Ecclispe gives Mishka, half of what she gave Hugo, Mishka will be the happiest bird alive.
I have a file with her likes and dislikes, her diet, A to Z.
I have a typed page with all the words and sentences she has learnt, which I updated weekly. A CD collection as well with, all her words, sentences songs and whistling tunes.

Last edited:

ClaudePi

Jan 17, 2010
Media
Parrots
Bronze Winged Pionus
back to my dad. and unfortunately, will live in her cage most of the day, not get as much attention, and rarely be held. He originally bought her, but I was the one who played with her. She doesnt like being held by anyone else really. My dad has a tendency to do that. He really wants to save the animal and bring it back home, but then just looks at it, and marvels it from a distance. I am kind of like the pet caretaker here. I take care of all the animals he buys. So I just hope that she gets a little more attention when I go off to college, luckily, only 2 hours away.

Beilana

Jun 14, 2010
Calgary, Ab, Canada
Parrots
Chia!!!! Cinnamon GCC
I don't have my conure yet but have made an agreement with my parents that they would take care of him/her if something happened to me. If something happened to them my younger brother would take him.

LOVE the folder idea!:1218::1218: Ill put that to good use when I get to know him. 2 more days till hes here!!!!!!! :sailboat2

apatrimo94

Jun 15, 2010
Media
Hudson Valley, New York
Parrots
Bartleby-Pearl Cockatiel
S'mores-Albino Parakeet
i'm always working on my folder for S'mores, Bartleby, and Shelby. Sometimes it's so hard because i have to update and fix it up every week. why? because my birds are changing constantly! lol. but yes, if anything every happens to me. hopefully not, i'm only 16!!! but i should find new owners just in case.

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
Folders are a really good idea. This is something that we've already thought about since Jade and Ruby will most likely out-live us. Max probably won't since Alexandrines only live bout 20 years. Our kids have promised to take care of them, I think I'll add something to their folders that if this doesn't happen or my kids are unable to care for the birds that they go to a rescue like SB said.

We know that we'll eventually get Popcorn back from my in-laws. He's only 10 and my father-in-law is in his early 70's. We got him knowing this, so all is good.

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
This thread has got me starting a folder (thanks for starting the thread Mel - its produced some great ideas), so far it is actually surprisingly helpful to myself as well. Remembering some of those funny little things they like and do, that I may have forgotten.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts