What would you do?

Sammy01

Aug 30, 2013
Parrots
Milo: White Fronted Amazon
Sex: Male
approx hatch date: May 2013
It's been almost four months and I still find myself sometimes thinking about the death of our baby conure. Perhaps he was already sick when we bought him and was doomed from the start, but I can't help but feel it's my fault. It's my fault for suggesting we take him to a vet when he was starting to do better. Worst of all, I feel like it's my fault for letting him be taken to a horrible clinic.

I thought the clinic would be good to him (after the yelp reviews). Even if they couldn't save him, they'd be respectful and treat him like a being - not an object in which to make profit from. I feel awful for knowing he was taken to a clinic that didn't care about my baby, but rather how much money they made from him.

I remember when he got home and he seemed worst. I got on the phone and asked the receptionist for help, for anything. Instead she just said she couldn't even give any advice, you can't even say, make sure he's comfortable?! I remember telling her he passed away, I was on the phone with her and instead of saying, I'm sorry for your loss, she turned and said, "Ok" and hung up.

I stupidly thought we'd receive a call, a letter, something to tell us they sent us their sympathy. This happened on May 29, 2013, to this day I have never heard from them. I guess they stopped caring once they couldn't get anymore money from him.

To us, he was our baby. Our sweet little boy that loved to play and never grew all his feathers in. He might have had a better chance of making it if we never took him there (this thought haunts my mind most of all). How could I write a review to a place that couldn't even send their sympathy? They knew who it was, or so the receptionist claimed (she said she was looking at the file).

I never wrote a yelp review or any where because each time, I'd get so upset. Would you write a review for such a place?

I don't want an apology from these "people". I don't think I would even believe it, would you?

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
How DISGUSTING! That is a beloved family member of yours.. how dare they treat you and the pet with such disrespect!

That is HORRID of them! Animals are family too! I would definitely write a 'unsatisfactory' review warning people of how horrible and unhelpful they were, in every single way. What if someone else takes their poor pet in and a similar thing happens? I'd certainly let people know NEVER to go to that vet.

It was NOT your fault! *hugs* You did what was right, you took him to a Vet. That is the best thing to do in those circumstances, unfortunately the Vet you happened to go to was not doing their job. So it was not your fault, you didn't know that they were awful, inconsiderate meanies. You did what was right, and sought out Veterinary help. I'm so terribly sorry for your awful loss D: I know what it feels like to lose a precious bird.. I lost one once only 3 days after I bought her.. (bought her for $200) i got a necropsy done (that was an extra $450) and she had major issues with every single organ, and multiple diseases... the breeders only offered to give me back $50... -_- And they blamed me for my poor girl Tohru's death, and I still feel somewhat responsible.. even though there was no possible way for her to get all those issues and diseases from being with us for 3 days...

I am so so sorry for your loss and the lack of comfort offered D: *hugs* I don't think I'd ever accept an apology even if I wanted one. The only thing I'd accept is a new receptionist who cares.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I posted a review of two vet places on Craigslist. A place I had been a customer of for a few years and was the first vet office I ever went to and the second place.

The differences between the two were astronomical.

First: Receptionists never called you about appointments. Sometimes, they never even called you when prescription food came in. The avian vet uses old school treatments and prescribes medications without doing any testing. If a bird has a fungal infection and the vet prescribes antibiotics, that could kill the bird! If they drew blood or did any procedures on the birds, they'd take the birds into the back room.

Second: Receptionists call a day ahead of your appointment to remind you. They call you when your orders come in. The avian vet I used there tested birds before prescribing medications so the *exact* meds required could be prescribed. Blood draws and other things can be done right in front of the customer. I felt comfortable even asking them to do something in front of me if they normally did it in the back. Surgery? They took photos for me! (granted, I did ask them to!) Animal dies? They send you a card that several staff members have written their names on.

The care and treatment were vastly different! And after the Craigslist posting.... I was a new customer of the second place and they figured it was me. I'm not sure how as I didn't mention who I was or what animals I had, but they really appreciated it! LOL

I've now tried out a third vet hospital with yet another avian vet. I hate to say that this place seems a lot like the first! Not pleased with this.

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
My heart goes out to you. On top of loosing your baby you were not taken care of properly at all by the clinic. I am so sorry for your loss but also feel your treatment has done nothing but compound upon your grief.

When you are stronger and am able to even think about writing a review I think it would be important for the public to know what happened to you. If any just so the same thing does not happen to someone else. If you actually do this and would like help with editing the review I would be honored to help you with that. I am a writer and would love to offer you my services.

In the times of great need the whole staff at a clinic needs to be able to serve the client in more than just taking care of the pet. I have been with my clinic since 1993 and except for one technician I am very impressed with everyone from the receptionist to the Avian veterinarians. When I did clash with the one technician I was comfortable enough to talk to the doctor about her. To explain to her how I was treated but importantly how she made me feel. The technician is a valued member of their team and still works there. For a long time I felt even though she is a very talented technician her social/people skills were very lacking. Personally if it was my business she would be replaced but for I am sure reasons beyond what I know this technician is still employed at the clinic. I have requested for this technician not to be part of any of my birds care for my appointments (being face to face with her) I did not demand that she get fired because that is not my place. I can acknowledge that we clash. I don't like her "bedside" manner at all and I don't want to deal with this person. I value my clinic very highly and still use their services. Just because of one person I will not relocate my parrots care because of this.

I highly value this clinic which is why I have been there since 1993. Sure places go through growth and I moved farther out over the years but I will not change clinics. When Diego died it was such a shock because he had a stroke and just in 45 mins later he was gone. When Dr. Blair had to come in to tell me he passed I didn't take the news well at all. After I screamed "NOOOOOOO" I broke down and cried. She held me and cried with me because Diego was not just a patient to her he was also her friend. (She has known him since I brought him home in 2002) For each of my boys the clinic send me a card but they also made talon prints of the parrot. There are other great clinics out there I know of but I really like mine.

Unfortunately your situation is much much worse than mine ever was. Please don't let anyone tell you how you felt does not matter because that does come into play with the whole experience itself. Not only does the parrot need to be treated but the customer needs to be taken care of as well and treated with respect.

Please think about writing the review. When you are ready and it is done I believe it would help move you along with your grief. If you want help with the editing portion of the review I offer my services.

Last edited:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
You dealt with them in a nicer manner then I would of....When my vet clinic made me mad, I scream down the lady's throat cause she was being rude and I've been going there for years with all my animals going there, I pay her salary! She turned me over to the manager who apologized to me over and over. Then a second time happened when they made me angry telling me something I feel that was full of it so I called all the big clinics around and also asked my vet friend and they all told me something that I already know so I brought it up to them and told them who I called, they called them all up and confirmed it and I was right. I went to the clinic and the owner happened to be there that day, he runs many clinics, he called me over and apologized to me personally as he know this was my second major complaint. He give all 3 of my dogs 6 months of heart worm meds free of charge. All he had to do is look in my record to see how many animals I've brought in there and how many people I know that I told to go there. I told them I can easily change clinics along with my friends, that's not an issue if they were going to be nasty. I haven't had an issue since! Always stand your ground if you know your right, prove them wrong! Post a review so others will know!

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
The devil is in the details so to speak regarding avian vets. Something as little as allowing me to be right there next to Hahnzel while he is toweled and being groomed means the world to me.

OP
S

Sammy01

Aug 30, 2013
Parrots
The thing that really upsets me is, what one other vet told me. They could have had something to do with our baby's death.

The reason he believes this is because they gave him enrofloxin (100mg/ml) without running any tests. They did this when they knew he was weak, instead of running tests. On top of that, if they don't know the type of bacteria they're dealing with this won't be effective. How would they even know what type of bacteria (if he had any) he had before doing any tests? All they knew was what we knew - he was struggling to breathe the night before, the next day we take him to a vet even though he's doing better. There was a possibility some formula could have gone down the wrong way, but we doubted it. We were mainly taking him because he already seemed a bit sick to us.

We took him home and his wings dropped. He then began to struggle to breathe (worst than the night before). He couldn't even keep his head up.

OP
S

Sammy01

Aug 30, 2013
Parrots
Thank you all for your kind words and thoughts. I know it's been months and we now have other babies, but for some reason I can't get over it. I can't over how young he was and how he never even grew all this feathers. There was so much he never got to experience.

I know it's silly but he really was our baby. He had blankets to be wrapped in, his yoshi teddy bear all these little things. He loved sleeping with his teddy bear. He'd even drag it along sometimes.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
First of all, you need to stop kicking yourself. No good can come from it.

Second, the lesson here is ONLY USE CERTIFIED AVIAN VETS...

The dog and cat guys who also take on birds generally are so far behind the curve that I personally do not trust them. Parrot medicine requires a boatload of specialized knowledge, and the good avian vets see stuff every day, that other folks just sit there and scratch their heads over...

Forget the list serves. Check the lists of actual Avian Certified Vets in your area... go there next time.

I have lost three conures a too, and my most bonded bird ever - my BFA -in my lifetime.

All living things die. Including us. Dwelling on it does not change that.

You obviously loved this bird, and he obviously knew that...

And you learned from it, and hopefully from this post, so will others.

Seriously, ACV-Rated vets and/or Zoo rated vets in a pinch (they see and treat everything...

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Having said that, a few years back, some inexperienced hand feeder brought in a box of 3 baby big macs with severely burned crops to the rescue wanting to know if we could "fix" it. (NO. Next time come to us BEFORE you start hand feeding, not after!)

They died in my arms.

I never forgot the experience...

I do get it.

OP
S

Sammy01

Aug 30, 2013
Parrots
Birdman666,

Thank you for your words but this was suppose to be an avian vet. We didn't double check though.

This is their yelp page:

http://m.yelp.ca/biz/summertree-animal-and-bird-clinic-dallas

This is their site:

http://www.summertreeclinic.com

I've had other companions pass away too, but what hurts about this one is the way. All the others passed away with more dignity. I don't feel like they were used like our baby was. I think if he would have passed away and we would have been treated better, I'd feel better. I would have understood, but I don't think I can understand how they could be so cold.

Most Reactions