Whats going on!!!!

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
Hi there. We need some help in understanding why 'Billie' our Indian red :yellow2: neck is sicking up on his rattle and then eating it again. He is healthy and not sick he is 3 and 1/2 years now. His rattle is the world to him hes :11: beside himself when we take it out of cage to clean and he also seems to be doing a funny dance head bobbing to the rattle of late too. We brought him last year he came with the rattle, so we've had him 9 months. Does he think its his chick or mate ??? Thanks :)

I was searching for egg laying because my parrot is making a nest, I found this useful information that can maybe help you, I think:

"Finally, you should remove anything that may be stimulating breeding behavior. Dark, confining spaces such as shoeboxes, bags, cabinets and other places can serve as a nest. Disallow association with such places. Don't stroke your bird on the back, especially during her breeding period. Leave the grates on the bottom of the cage to give an unsuitable place to lay and sit on eggs. On rare occasions, females will chose a favorite toy or perch for masturbating. This item should be removed it your bird exhibits this behavior. Other changes may need to be made depending on your bird's environment and play habits.

A mate is not a solution for the chronic egg layer. Mates will only perpetuate the problem, not solve it. Your bird may become less concerned about you, bond to the other bird, want to reproduce, and you will lose the nice pet you have always had.
"

Chronic Egg Laying

That is about females thou.

This one is about coping with hormones and they talk about boys:

http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/birdinformation/hormones.php

Here is somethings that they recommend:

• Make sure your bird gets plenty of sleep. During times of hormonal onset, and I do mean the FIRST signs of it, cover that cage! Your bird needs 12 hours of uninterrupted sleep, the darker the better. If a small night-light is needed to stave off night frights, okay, but that's it. I even recommend clearing out a closet (Yes, I said closet) and placing a sleeping cage in it. Move your bird to that closet at night so that it's peaceful and quiet - no TV, no doors opening and closing, no disturbances. 12 HOURS! So if you get up at 7 am, Polly goes to bed at 7 p.m. If Polly has eggs in her cage, the eggs go WITH Polly.

• Give your birds drenching showers (both male AND female) during hormonal periods. Same mindset as the cold shower theory for people. Of course, you want to use warm water though. For birds who are plucking, a mist of pure aloe-vera can be soothing as well.
  • Rearrange the cage frequently. Move toys, dishes and perches around. Also, remove anything your bird may perceive as a mate or your bird masturbates on. Install the grate if you don't already have it in so your bird does not have access to the newspaper on the bottom to shred. Remove ANYTHING in the cage that provides a shadowy recess for nesting, or anything your bird can use as a nest (happy hut, coconut hut, box, etc.)
  • Change the location of the cage. The reason for changing things inside the cage and the location of the cage is because the comfort level a bird has makes breeding more inviting. Changing things makes it less inviting for breeding.
  • Get your birds out of the cage for exercise. Get their mind off of it. But, limit the time with "that special person" if they perceive a particular member in the house as their mate. Have someone else do the handling. Be BRAVE my friend, if your hormonal bird is nippy. With some therapy, your nippy friend will come around. But a change in scenery is in order, and helps with the cage territorialism.
  • Don't let your bird hide in cupboards, old boxes, baskets, cubby holes, etc. It's NOT cute; it's encouraging the hormonal behavior. BOTH genders will do this, so don't allow your male to get away with it.

Last edited:

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
WH I do not understand how one would make a mist of pure aleo vera as it is a gel and would not come our in a spray. On the other hand if it is diluted it would. Thanks for sharing the ariticle. We both love to read.

Mel

Mar 30, 2010
Media
Sydney Australia
Parrots
Eclectus - Shadow /
Sulfur Crested - Chicka
Wow.... I'm off the forum for a few days and come back to see AD has restored the harmony :64:

THANK YOU

:jumping40

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
Im looking around trying to figure out who's next to feel the wrath of AD :11:

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
be7.gif
No no don't do that Bobby. We have a wonderful community of bird lovers here. Just every once in a while one slips in that wants to be a troublemaker. We will protect you.

I know you were kidding.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
be7.gif
No no don't do that Bobby. We have a wonderful community of bird lovers here. Just every once in a while one slips in that wants to be a troublemaker. We will protect you.

I know you were kidding.

I get the message SB, Bobby is keeping a "look out" for me "bird brain"
bc4.gif

Last edited:

Mel

Mar 30, 2010
Media
Sydney Australia
Parrots
Eclectus - Shadow /
Sulfur Crested - Chicka
be7.gif

I know you were kidding.

I get the message SB, Bobby is keeping a "look out" for me "bird brain"
bc4.gif

Yes Ant you better be careful because you are such a troublemaker!!!

Most Reactions