Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Species, not breed.

Species: Green Cheek Conure
Mutation: Yellowsided
Sex: Unknown

Did the people tell you how old the bird is? You might be able to find out by the band, but then again you might not. At most, the band only tells the year the bird was born, not the month/date as well. Not all bands have accurate information on the birds age.

Seed is not a healthy diet for this green cheek. He/she should be on a pelleted diet with fresh foods (sprouts, vegetables, some fruits, sprouted/cooked *healthy* grains and legumes, occasional cooked eggs) is a requirement.

Plastic and wooden dowels are *not* healthy for their feet. They need natural wooden perches, rope perches, maybe one grooming perch, maybe a swing and/or boing.

Toys are also essential to them. A minimum of 5-6 toys should be a requirement inside the cage, with 15+ to switch out/exchange/replace with.

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Hello and welcome to the forum:)

It is a Conure and looks very much like a Pineapple Green Cheek .

Did they not tell you what type of Bird you were purchasing?

OP
S

spac3invader

Nov 15, 2012
thanks for your speedy reply’s.

it was purchased from a newspaper add, and were told that it was a gift for an elderly mother, but she was unable to look after it. he said it was around 6 months old, but haven’t been able to get close to it(as it fly’s franticly around its cage) it seems very scared.

have changed the food into dried "parrot" food, and put some toys and a mirror into its cage.

what sort of size do they grow to, and how long does the Green Cheek Conure on average live for.

appreciate the help for a noob.

thanks

:green:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Glad you are fixing things some! I don't recommend mirrors, however.

That's as big as the bird will ever get! Once they are fully weaned, a parrot has, more or less, reached their adult size. They may gain or lose weight, but will not grow in size. Weaning age for small parrots is typically 2-3 months in age (depending on species).

Average lifespan for a green cheek conure I would assume to be 8-16 years, although they do have the potential to live at least 20-30 years with good health, genetics, diet, etc.

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Pepsi and sprite, both are American male budgies
Green cheeks live for 20 to 30 depending on how well you care for them. What do you mean by dry parrot food ? Do you mean pellets ?

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Yes Conures can live 20 to 30 Years.

Have you tried offering him fruit and veggies? This is essential in their diet.

Most Conures seem to like Mirrors in their Cage.. A few hanging toys, a swing and plenty of foot toys are always are a good idea.

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
Yellow sided green cheek conure. the head is to dark for a pineapple. they are great birds. I have one I named Chiquita, and she is really cute. You also might want to consider a larger cage. They are very active birds and need lots of toys and room to climb around and different perch sizes to exercise their feet. Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new birdy:D

OP
S

spac3invader

Nov 15, 2012
the food contains verious types of seeds, sunflower seeds and a mixture of others, it also has what looks like dried chillies init? :S i have put some apple, and some orange into the cage.

any advice to try and handle the poor thing, he seems very scared of me even putting my hand into the cage and will try and get as far away from me as it can.

i am looking to invest in a larger cage in the very near future.

thanks

Mikayla

Nov 12, 2012
She needs a bigger cage and lots of toys. What was she eating before you bought her. Don't switch food all at once gradually add it in so she doesn't go without eating. My green cheek is in a 30x30 cage with a playtop but is out all the time with her cousins when I'm home. You should get a conure book ad spend the night reading to make yourself familiar with the species. Also, take her to the vet for a well check and ask questions. Birds can be so fragile. And lastly, please don't run that fan around her, they don't do well with drafts. Also make sure she's warm and played with a lot. :) happy bird parenting!!!

Mikayla

Nov 12, 2012
the food contains verious types of seeds, sunflower seeds and a mixture of others, it also has what looks like dried chillies init? :S i have put some apple, and some orange into the cage.

any advice to try and handle the poor thing, he seems very scared of me even putting my hand into the cage and will try and get as far away from me as it can.

i am looking to invest in a larger cage in the very near future.

thanks

Let him come out of the cage on his own, then teach him to step up. It took about 3 weeks before my GC would, but that's because she was abused by her former owner and literally ripped from her cage tearing her tendon. She stood on one foot for weeks. Now she is coming into her own although I am the only one she trusts. Be patient and earn her trust and you both will become friends for life.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
A slight change in temperature with an air draft isn't dangerous to birds. Birds are subjected to breezes and temperature changes out in the wild... so as long as the draft is near same temperature as the air around the bird, it's not going to harm them. Birds, if not acclimated, can even withstand short, drastic temperature changes as long as they are healthy... and they can handle cold temperatures far better than they can handle heat.

At least, it is in my opinion that drafts killing healthy birds is a myth.

MeganMango

Oct 13, 2012
Media
Guelph Ontario
Parrots
1 red bellied parrot (Mango), 3 cockatiels (Bugsie, Alfie, and Bananas)
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your new addition! Please hunt around this forum and various internet sites to get a more established understanding of bird nutrition and health. You will find there are a lot of things that seem safe that are actually quite dangerous. I would also very strongly encourage you to contact and visit an avian vet. Birds can be very sick and show very few signs. You should consider converting your new baby to a balanced pelleted diet over time. Birds are like small children, they will eat the yummy stuff and leave the rest. The result is an unhealthy and unbalanced diet. There is loads of information here about safe toys, bird proofing the house, safe foods, and household dangers. Of course, everyone here is very quick and happy to answer any questions as they arise. Im new to parrots too, and this is a great community to gain support and knowledge. Birds are sensitive pets and they need special care.

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
Congratulations on your cute new baby!

Sounds like it wasn't socialized very well. They probably didn't pay much attention to it. You might need to take baby steps to get to be friends with your bird, but it will be worth it. They make great friends. They are not like dogs, who have been completely domesticated. They are usually one or two generations from being wild caught, so they are still technically wild animals. They are very smart though, and can make friends. :)

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
Also, if you haven't already, I highly recommend getting some pellets instead of seed. Some birds need to be switched over gradually, but none of my birds have required it. They just try whatever I put in the dish. See if it works. I like Harrison's pellets. Also, fresh fruits and veggies. They can eat a lot of people food too, but limit junk food and dairy.

Note: chocolate and avocado can be deadly poison to birds, so do not give them to birds.

Also, TEFLON. If you have cookware or houshold appliances that are non-stick, you will need to get rid of them. They can kill a bird very quickly.

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus Female - Audrey.
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Mini - Budgie, RIP gorgeous girl.
You have some great tips here so far! :) It would definitely do him wonders to have a bigger cage and a lot of natural wooden perches too for his feet. Then some toys! His diet will need to be changed, as seeds are not good for birds in high amounts. But as others have said, this will have to be a gradual process.

I would also suggest, seeing as you got him from a newspaper add, hunt down a good avian vet in your area and get him checked out to make sure he is healthy. Birds hide their sickness so usually they don't show us any signs of sickness before it is too late.

As for him being very scared, this will be a slow process. He has been taken from his old home and he doesn't know why, or where he is. Always talk to him in a nice calm voice, offer him treats through the bars to show him that your hands are not scary. You can also leave his cage open and see if he would come from the cage himself. :)

Most Reactions