When can you change a new birds pellets?

N0va

Feb 8, 2024
Parrots
None
I recently got an 8 week old cockatiel from a breeder who’s been weaned onto zupreem fruit pellets but I’d like to move him onto something healthier like roudybush so he’d be healthy with it being a large part of his diet, but I only got him a few days ago, when can I start transitioning his pellets?

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Congratulations on your new bird! I would give him a few weeks at least before trying to change food; maybe even a month or two. Moving to a new home can be very stressful for a bird and any changes to their eating routine could result in a hunger strike. You could certainly offer him the new pellets sooner to see if he is interested, just don’t try transitioning him completely too quickly 🙂.

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
Congratulations on your new bird! I would give him a few weeks at least before trying to change food; maybe even a month or two. Moving to a new home can be very stressful for a bird and any changes to their eating routine could result in a hunger strike. You could certainly offer him the new pellets sooner to see if he is interested, just don’t try transitioning him completely too quickly 🙂.
Agreed, never too soon to offer new food (a new pellet or some new veggies) but you shouldn't start taking away the zupreem until he's settled in and comfortable in his new home, and even then you'll want to do it very slowly.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
WHen you do start the switch over, do so gradually. Slowly reduce the amount of zupreem and add the new pellets. Think about also starting him on some type of chop, as pellets are OK but actual veggies is better. Do changes slowly, as parrots are perfectly capable of starving themselves to death if they dont like the food.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
When I got my yellow nape to eat pellets (Zupreem nut blend) I soaked them in unswe apple juice to make them more appealing.

I believe all of my Cockatiels eat the nut blend sized for big birds. They are very cute when they hold a pellet in their foot and chomp away.
nut blend doesn’t have the coloring the fruit ones and I think less sugar.

Most Reactions