when do you know you're ready?

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
I thought I would ask here but essentially, after you lost your first bird when did you know you were ready for another?

Unfortunately this is the first pet that I have had that's died with me being the sole carer. I've had dogs die before but it didn't hit me as hard as this did.

I can feel in my heart that I want to get another bird but a little voice in my head keeps stopping me. I still have the cage built up as I feel like taking it down would be my decision made. I met a load of birds at a show last weekend and I was so happy around them but then as soon as I thought about having my own again I just felt dread over the thought of losing one again.

I'd love nothing more than to go to stores or rescues and see if I get chosen but it seems near impossible to do where I am

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
In my mind you are ready when the idea of the new bird brings more joy than sadness. When you are able to see a new pet as his or her own being instead of a replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
It took me years to step out, I really felt I was not worthy to take on such a commitment, caring for such a life! I can't say I waited too long, JoJo and I were waiting for each other!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I lost my little Maxie, a yellow wing parrot ( canary wing or BeeBee parrot) for no reason at all, he was just found, passed away , in the bottom of his cage one morning. He was so bonded to me, and I to him, I could not even look at his body. I was so despondent that my wife was worried about me. I still get all bleary eyed even talking about this. But I know that we were not the cause of his death. 6+ months after Max passed, I knew I wanted another parrot. Max had picked me out of a whole flock of BeeBee parrots, just jumped on my hand, looked into my eyes and wolf whistled. I wanted that same connection ( well it;s never THE SAME) but I know I wanted the parrot to want me. I did my research this time, and decided on a few species that I felt were good matches. And then I lucked out, really lucked out. A local parrot only shop advertised they they a pair of Yellow Shoulder Amazons. And the male, Salty , showed a preference for me. The rest, well, read our thread "Right now Salty is....." for our story. TO answer your question though, you will know it's the right time when your memories of your first parrot are not too painful that they shut out another little life that might need you, or want you ( or you need it).

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
We work with a very specific group of Amazons. They are commonly older Amazons, all are very ill or injured and none of them want anything to do with Humans ever again. They are the yesterday trash, the left to die at Rescues or Avian Vets offices and some from Pet Stores.

Your question as to when do you know you are ready is answered more by your heart then your head. The head gets lost in circles of questions and questioning, whereas the heart just knows! Also, a little known piece of inside information that only the heart knows: Your beloved was very busying building and opening a place in your heart for themselves! Now for the secret, they had also been building and opening a tiny space for another.

The downside of what we do is the knowledge that we are faced with knowing that the vast majority of those Amazons who come to live with us, will pass, and in near all case long before anyone would wish. We are faced with a first year of not dedicated to build a Trust Bond, but bring their health back in the hope that they will live an additional hour, day, week, month and somethings a few years or more.

I assure you that the number of losses in no way easies the pain of each of their loss, nor lessen the reflection of whether our hearts can handle yet another such loss. The deep felt pain never passes! The tears never lessen, nor does the heart not hurt less. It is only the warmth of yet another Amazon filled with its own heartaches and fear that brings Sunlight into those dark moments and the knowledge that life without an Amazon is worst then the pain of losing those past and this one in the future.

When is the right time, when will one be ready? That is a question of whether the answer is formed in the Head or the Heart!

If your Heart Wins, Rescue Your Next Parrot!

A Day Should Begin With A Warm Feather Hug Every Morning!

Lacewing

Feb 16, 2017
USA
Parrots
Murphy Jr. English Budgie
I try to think of our birds as companions, not pets. They are so much more than a pet. Your question is a very good one. I lost a budgie about 4 years ago and it does leave a permanent hole in your heart. If you find your heart is being tugged by another bird then I would say you have room in your heart for another companion.

OwnedByGeorge

Jun 7, 2017
If your bird did not die of old age, and died because of a dietary, illness, or environmental issue, then, if you can make sure that it doesn't happen again, why shouldn't you adopt another parrot?

If you know you can provide a good home, then you should do it. There are lots of parrots at rescues that need loving homes and it sounds like you can provide one.

It is recommended to disinfect and thoroughly clean the old cage before putting a new bird in it.

GL

:)

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
I also lost our first bird, Tango to a tragic accident, which I felt responsible for being careless! When Joe Joe came into my life, it was not even my choice, I was surprised with him as a gift! He was living at a rescue, and they didn't think they would ever be able to place him. Well my daughter and I walked in and we were the first two people that he ever immediately jumped up onto! I must say though, I went through panic attacks for two weeks before I realized what was happening! I still leave the house many times turn around come back and do another security check!

OP
LordTriggs

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
it's good to know you and JoeJoe get on so well. I would love a relationship like that. Rio was insanely bonded to me, a velcro bird when he wanted to be but he would go do his own thing occasionally and loved his cage. Hell out of any bird I've met he's as close to perfect as could get. Not to say he couldn't drive me nuts sometimes.

I plan on going to the local RSPCA (uk general animal rescue/shelter) center this weekend for a bit of a walk around and to see some little animals. I swear they had birds before but honestly cannot remember. I know they're planning on building a massive aviary when they can get some funds so I may volunteer at some point unless I meet a little feather friend before then. My biggest fear I have when it comes to a bird is the hormonal period. I know you can curb it but still, to have a cute little friend turn into these monsters is horrifying to me, I would actually prefer to adopt an older bird just so they've been through a couple and can relax a bit during that period

Most Reactions

Latest posts