When does it get overwhelming?

ZoeS

Oct 4, 2011
I have a green cheek conure and a rose crown conure currently. They share the same cage but have separate sleep cages most of the time. My GCC is very attached to all of us (she will yell if she is left alone for even a few seconds - she can't fly right now), so is the rose crown but he is a bit independent and capable of spending time on his own on a perch or playing on the cupboards.

I have an empty cage (I used to keep my conures separate) and have been looking into filling it. I had looked into a pionus, a grey, an eclectus, and amazon... but to be honest I just love the conures, and I don't want to worry about someone losing a foot to a bigger bird, or having a bird that will outlive me, or honestly spending $1000+ on a bird is just out of my price range right now. I tried to find a bird rescue and was turned away from one bird because I have cats and was unable to find anything else.

So I have been thinking about getting a third conure (another green cheek probably) and eventually linking the two cages together by the side doors (after quarantine and so on) so they can be a flock of three (plus us, as they are out whenever are home) in a pretty large area (each cage is 32" x 21" x 36").

Those of you with multiple conures - did you start to feel overwhelmed at some point? I find the two very easy to manage, there's just a lot of "do you have Toby?" between DH and me to make sure we know where they both are. But I wonder if a third would be just too difficult to manage. I know this depends on me and the birds but I am just looking for some feedback.

daddylongnails

May 26, 2012
I only have 2, but right now I enjoy their company as much as they want the attention. But when I've had enough of them, in the cage they go. Momma needs a break too, ya know.

Mozzie

Mar 20, 2012
Media
Utah
Parrots
African grey (peppers)
Blue crown conure (Mozzie)
Sun conure (sunny)
Jenday conure (Bo)
Blue fronted amazon (Casey)
I have 3 conures along with an African Grey and a Blue fronted Amazon. I am not overwhelmed at all. I am just plain bird crazy I guess. However, I am home all of time and my kids are grown so I have a lot of time to fill up. I enjoy taking care of these parrots. If I didn't have them I would be so bored.

OP
Z

ZoeS

Oct 4, 2011
That's good news! In addition to the 2 conures I also have five cats (well, six, but he's living my garage until he gets adopted - he showed at my door after scrapping with my rooster, hungry and skinny), and a bunch of chickens, plus I work full time. I don't feel overwhelmed in my life but I don't want to add to my babies unless I'm 100% sure I have plenty of time with them. I mean, he/she would pretty much be out whenever I am home as my other two are which is several hours a day and then weekends.

Is three a bad number? Sometimes I am worried that two will pair off and not want the third around...

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
Loki (GCC) Sugar (Goffins)
That's good news! In addition to the 2 conures I also have five cats (well, six, but he's living my garage until he gets adopted - he showed at my door after scrapping with my rooster, hungry and skinny), and a bunch of chickens, plus I work full time. I don't feel overwhelmed in my life but I don't want to add to my babies unless I'm 100% sure I have plenty of time with them. I mean, he/she would pretty much be out whenever I am home as my other two are which is several hours a day and then weekends.

Is three a bad number? Sometimes I am worried that two will pair off and not want the third around...

No idea if you will be overwhelmed or not, as I don't work, I'm a SAHM, so I have all day, pretty much every day, to make sure everyone gets attention and what they need. The tortoise is pretty self-sufficient, plus my daughter takes care of him except for changing out his bedding. The Bearded Dragon takes extra care, because he has a neuro disorder that prevents him from eating properly or walking straight, so I have to hand feed him daily. The dog is... well, a dog! lol. We're adding a corn snake (we've had them before) and again, like the tortoise, is pretty self-sufficient.

No idea how it would be with 3 as opposed to 2 or 4. My two don't go near each other.

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Sully-2 year old cinnamon and Bella-3 year old normal
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
I have 5 green cheeks and I'm not overwhelmed at all, I actually want one more bird but I don't have space for another one right now. If you want another one now then I don't think you will be overwhelmed, its when you don't want another one that's when you begin to feel overwhelmed.

jewels04

Feb 4, 2012
Parrots
JJ-sun conure hatched roughly 1/16/2012

Cinderella-white and blue female budgie hatched 4/08/12

Rigby-white and blue male budgie hatched 5/05/2012
I think it depends on everyone individually. I know some people that have 3-4 dogs and are fine yet I get 2 dogs and I am overwhelmed. We have our sun conure JJ and will soon have a baby parakeet and I am also getting a baby green cheek whenever it hatches and weans. And I think that is a good limit of birds to me. Most people here have more birds and some have just the one. I really think it depends on the indiviual though.

Mare Miller

Banned
Banned
May 14, 2011
Media
sierra foothills of central California
Parrots
13yr. old male umbrella cockatoo,
we call him Amigo!

7yr. old Goffin cockatoo, she IS Sassy!!
I have Amigo, a U2, and he, by himself, is overwhelming! My husband thought I was going crazy when I wanted to bring in another bird. The joy this bird is giving us, makes up for all the rough times we had with Amigo. We love our Amigo but he IS overwhelming, at times.

Customcasket

Aug 24, 2011
Media
New Jersey
Parrots
Female Dusky Conure (Kayak) Female Sun Conure (Carlisle) Female Budgie (Meister) Male Budgie (Spooky Burd)
I've got 2 conures and 2 budgies. I don't feel over whelmed by them unless I'm sick and in no state of mind to deal with feathered toddlers lol. The 2 budgies get along great with each other, but the 2 conures despise each other :( it would all depend on the birds you have currently and whatever you end up adding to the family. They could love each other or hate each other to death.

Most Reactions