When Fish & Wildlife come knocking - unannounced

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Whew! Dodged a bullet maybe!

I know people have to register their dogs in this state, but a quick search yielded nothing for birds. My searches did show that you can't have a fox, bear, nor any cat over 30 pounds including domestic-domestic cross-breeds (which happen to get fat).

I'm sure glad they didn't inspect the upstairs, or my pet Bengal would have had a field day! :32: (Just kidding!!! No Bengals upstairs....last time I checked)

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
Just curious ,are your neighbors close in distance ?

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Just curious ,are your neighbors close in distance ?

We all have 1/4 acre lots, Terri, so it's not like we're on top of each other. My one immediate neighbor has a corner lot, so their house is about 200 feet away from ours. The one on the other side next to us is about 100 feet away, but there is only 1 single window on that particular side of the house (upstairs - their son's bedroom window).

And even though my big macs 'can' sound off (and do so occasionally), it's never really for too long, never too early, and most definitely never too late in the evening. (They go to bed at 8PM) AND...we have no infants in the neighborhood, so I know no babies/toddlers have their naps interrupted, LOL.

Sunset_Chaser

Sep 25, 2014
Minnesota
Parrots
Bella (B&G Macaw)
2 Yellow Naped Amazons,
8 Lovebirds,
2 Green Cheeks,
2 Sun Conures,
2 Indian Ringnecks,
2 Quakers
What a pleasant surprise Wendy! (NOT!) People are unbelievable, I'm glad we live out in the boonies! :D

I too would have enjoyed hearing about them checking the bands.........

amjokai

Apr 19, 2014
Wahiawa, Oahu, Hawaii
Parrots
Eclectus, Blue and Gold Macaw, Cockatiels, Ringnecks, Green Cheek Conure
I need to research what states you have to have permits. Since we move so often I'm terrified I'm going to end up having problems.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Yeah, from what I understand, NJ has some of the most restrictive bird regulations in the country...

What was their reasoning behind taking the photos?

Doesn't make sense to me unless they were proving a negative...cuz we know how abused those birds are...

So which neighbor have you pissed off recently...?

Delfin

Banned
Banned
Jan 26, 2014
Media
It might not have been a neighbour. it could have been a visitor that heard or saw your birds and felt that it was their duty to rescue those birds whom are being kept in locked in a cage. ;) Maybe a member of PETA.

If it was a noise issue then wouldn't be a different group investigating that complaint?.

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012

What was their reasoning behind taking the photos?...

Don't know, Mark. I was too tongue-tied to say or ask much of anything other than "Yes Sir! No Sir! :eek:

It might not have been a neighbour. it could have been a visitor that heard or saw your birds and felt that it was their duty to rescue those birds whom are being kept in locked in a cage. ;) Maybe a member of PETA.

If it was a noise issue then wouldn't be a different group investigating that complaint?.

That's the thing, it was not a noise complaint. They only said they had received a tip that I was keeping exotic parrots illegally.

And hubby, a few friends and I don't think any of the neighbors had anything to do with it. :20:

And yes, noise complaints are dealt with by local law enforcement, not Fish & Wildlife.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'

This is possible. I'm on a few vegan/animal rights forums and yes, there are definitely THOSE 'types' who think all animals should just be turned loose to nature. They are incapable of logical thought enough to see the numerous reasons that 'pets' cannot just be turned loose to the wild. Might've thought though that fish and game was going to come "liberate" Wendy's flock :rolleyes:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Its all so very odd...

California didn't have enforcement money, so even legit complaints didn't get answered.

In Texas? Y'all ain't got no business here, this is private property.

Is this one of those Joisey things we keep hearing about?

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
What a haunting experience, Wendy, but you handled it well!

It does seem the trigger was external to your neighborhood, and I hope F & W will not regularly audit your flock!

akrrm

Apr 29, 2014
New Jersey
Parrots
Swoop~Blue and Gold Macaw (30 years young)
That is odd. Shouldn't Fish and Game have been able to check to see if you had a permit before they went to your house?

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
That is interesting... One would think they could have checked for the permit before visiting. But they probably wanted to compare the photos to when you first sent them in to make sure they're being kept the same?

Boy one more reason to hate jersey. Least liked state.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I just hope you are able to get to the bottom of who called...that is the lowest of the low:(

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
It is unbelievable, what would anyone expect to find but 4 really loved, well taken care of parrots? If somebody wants to complain or raise a ruckus why not focus on the sick, delusional animal hoarders out there, lord knows there are plenty of them.. sometimes where you least expect it!:mad:

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
I bet money it was a PETA type.
Sometimes well meaning people do the stupidest most ignorant things out of pure lack of knowledge.
Probably someone was visiting one of your neighbors and saw those poor poor colorful birds being kept in cages and didn't run their concern by your neighbor first... That's giving your neighbors the benefit of the doubt but if you've lived there any amount of time with the same neighbors and no issue that's my guess.

My landlord (I have the apartment above the barn and rent half of her fCility- she lives in the house about 300 feet away) used to work for the parks department and has an exotic animals birthday party business so she thinks my parrots are cool as heck lol.

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Is this one of those Joisey things we keep hearing about?

One of many, I'm afraid. :32:

That is odd. Shouldn't Fish and Game have been able to check to see if you had a permit before they went to your house?

You would think, right? Who knows, perhaps someone gave them the impression I had more than I specified?

I'm over it though. Too much of a beautiful, sunny day to think about it - right now anyways. :D

ToMang07

Jul 14, 2015
Maine, USA
Parrots
Willow the Umbrella Cockatoo
Boy....got to reading this thread and HAD to go out and check the state laws.....never even considered it. Phew.... I'm good.

Parrots
With the exception of the gray or monk parakeet, (also known as quaker) Myiopsitta monachus, the entire Psittacine family will be generally unrestricted. This family includes the parrots, parakeets, cockatoos, cockateels, macaws, lovebirds, etc. Listed CITES and Endangered Species may not be imported unless legally exempted. Check the red book (the US Fish and Wildlife Service endangered species listing world wide), or with your supplier before importing. You will be held responsible for improper importations.

Most Reactions