When is it TOO HOT for my TK to be outside?

MelanieAnn

Mar 31, 2012
Media
TK loves to be outside, so i have an outside playstand that he will be on most of the day! (we are outside with him in the backyard, or right there in the livingroom talking to him thru the bar window) but today it was so hot like 90, and he was in the sun most of the time i heard suns good for his wings, but after a while im like dang so i put him in the shade, and he just got quieter.. but he did get up early, was he just tired? or was he worn out from the heat? when is it TO hot for him to be in the sun and HOW LONG is ok for him to be on his stand in the sun at that summer temp?
Thanks
PS obviously hes eating and drinking on his stand its a plaything not just a perch:blue1::blue1:

HalfInsane

Dec 23, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Pixel: female senegal, hatched Dec 15, 2011
Is his stand large enough that you could place it in such a way that it is half in the sun and half in the shade? Then he can choose which he prefers.

I couldn't tell you what is "too hot". However, constant direct sunlight is not good for him. Animals from hot climates seek out shade in the middle of the day. I'd say either give him access to both sun and shade, that or limit his sun time. And if it just plain nasty out, probably best keep him inside till later in the evening. He may be a tropical bird but, like you, he's used to a cool house.

Maybe someone who has a bit more of a clear idea will pipe in, but if that's just my two cents.

OP
MelanieAnn

MelanieAnn

Mar 31, 2012
Media
Thanks good point! Yes its a large stand i can place it in both

Joeyx

Mar 15, 2012
Parrots
Birdie (BFA), Cloud (Lovebird)
yep, place it on the sun and shade. if it gets too hot for him, you would be able to see him
panting. also, some birdies love to get misted a bit with cool water while they're
sunbathing. sunlight is good for birds because it helps create vitamin d.

Safira

Sep 27, 2011
Aberdeen, Md
Parrots
Safira (B&G Macaw)~~ Gracie (CAG) ~ Lucy (CAG)
90 shouldn't be too horrible as long as he can get into the shade too. Keep an eye on him. A sign your Macaw is getting hot will be him keeping his wings slightly off his body, and his beak open to breath ( like panting.)

This would be a good time to try out a spray bottle to mist him with water, they take to it more when they're warm. :)

If you have grapes, throw a few in the freezer and then give them to him outside as a treat when they're nice and frozen.

Mare Miller

Banned
Banned
May 14, 2011
Media
sierra foothills of central California
Parrots
13yr. old male umbrella cockatoo,
we call him Amigo!

7yr. old Goffin cockatoo, she IS Sassy!!
You could have him in the morning sun then afternoon shade. In the summer time here it gets in the 100's. Amigo will find a cooler shady spot deep in the trees and hunkers down during that afternoon heat. He loves to be sprayed while I'm watering and drinks lots more water in the heat.

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
Melanie Ann, I'm going to recommend that you watch the video on the general parrot information thread. It is a top ten video and is very helpful. My wife and I both watched it the other day and it gave us lots of useful basic info. It's called Top 10 hazards for companion birds and it's a sticky.

Tarkus

Feb 27, 2012
Ponte Vedra Bch fl/Mantoloking NJ
Parrots
Catalina Macaw. I also have a rotation of birds I rehome
Shade and water.

I'm happy you ask this question. In the winter many worry about cold when the fact is you're more likly to lose a bird to heat than cold.

Be Big,
Alan

Most Reactions