When to start training your parrot? Help me:)

ewalker

May 14, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
Parrots
Conner, a yellow sided conure. And Skeet, a budgie.
I'm not sure if I'm doing this correct... This is my first post,, or at least I hope this is a post. I'm wanting to know at what age to you start to train your conure to do "tricks". And what things should you teach him/her? Of course the "up" command onto the finger, but what else? Thanks so much:):rolleyes:

OP
E

ewalker

May 14, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
Parrots
How do I find out if someone replied to one of my posts?

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Forrest -Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure, Nacho- Sun Conure
I am in Weatherford. Hi neighbor. I have taught my baby to high five. He also HOP HOP HOPS......on the back of the couch. I work with him putting plastic monkeys in a barrel. Most of the things he learns he just learns thru interaction. A lot of interaction. When he is on the blinds trying to loop the cords around the slats, I can point and say up and he will go to the top. Mine is a year old. They are so much fun.

OP
E

ewalker

May 14, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
Parrots
That sounds so cool!! I hope Conner can enjoy fun things like those :) Your baby is a smart one:) When is a good time to start that type of interaction? All mine wants to do is sit on my shoulder, or bite my neck/earrings. That's pretty much all I can get out of him.. lol.. However, he totally knows his name:) He is six weeks old.

froche3

Nov 27, 2013
Parrots
Binky - Cinnamon Rainbow Lorikeet
I have a lorikeet, and I got him/her a few weeks ago, although she is 18 months old. She does 'step up' onto my finger, and 'cage time' when it is time to go into her cage. I would like to start training her, but because she is 18 months, she is starting to get nippy (sexual maturity I am guessing), and she doesn't have much concentration. I have heard about conures, and I wanted to get one, but I knew Binky before I got her and just adored her character.

froche3

Nov 27, 2013
Parrots
Binky - Cinnamon Rainbow Lorikeet
I am training starting Binky with words e.g step up, cage time, no bite. The next step for me (as suggested by another user) is to do target training. I have a bit of research to do before I start though....

Kimma

Oct 11, 2013
Gold Coast, Australia
Parrots
Flash - DF violet Indian Ringneck. Crash - lutino Indian Ringneck
I have a book called 12 Weeks to the Perfect Parrot. It basically has a different thing to train each week for the 12 weeks. None of it is trick training but it would all be a great basis for a relationship with your bird that would make trick training easier.

The 12 weeks are

1 - hand training - getting the bird to understand "good" and to eat out of your hand
2 - patience training - to train your bird to wait quietly at the aviary door while you open it and feed them by hand
3 - step up training
4 - t-stand training
5 - toilet training
6 - carrier training
7 - towel training - getting them comfortable with being wrapped in a towel
8 - touch training
9 - grooming training
10 - stay put training
11 + 12 - controlled flight training

You can certainly do that kind of training from the moment you get your bird, and if your bird manages all that I'm sure it would be ready for some trick training.

Most Reactions