Which amazon to look for?

kansaskid

Feb 28, 2012
I'm looking at getting an amazon but i'm not familiar with price ranges and the pros and cons that come with them. Can someone direct me to a good species that is reasonable for a "beginner" and that has decent vocal capabilities and typically a bonding personality?

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
You might want to do some research on Orange Wings. Definitely do a lot of research on birds, cages, food, toys, perches, etc before choosing one.

OP
K

kansaskid

Feb 28, 2012
I definitely will. Except one impulse buy, when buying birds i usually do my homework first. I might have an opportunity to buy a blue fronted youngster if the parents hatch any this spring, before dedicating myself to researching this particular bird how much $ am i looking at?

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
It really depends on species but most young amazons START at around $650 depending on where you live. But you can expect to see prices go from about $600 to $1100, if you are going through a breeder, more if you are looking at pet stores but you would be better off to go through a good, reputable breeder. I agree with roxy, check birdbreeders.com to see if there are any breeders in your area and what they're prices are like.

KellyH

Feb 14, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Currently bird less.
Wow, prices here in Canada are so much higher. Right now a young, handfed Blue-Fronted starts at about $1200 - $1500 depending on how much blue they have on their head.

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
I think blue fronts are usually on the pricier side anyway, when I was looking at red loreds though they were all starting around $650 and going up to about $900

mandolynn

Feb 25, 2012
ND
Parrots
Indian Ringneck Parakeet(Flora)
Red headed Amazon(Paco)
Family Parrots-
Blue Crowned Conure(Sapphire) Mitred Conure(Sammy) Severe Macaw(Nikita)
I personally have a soft spot for lilac crowned. They are outgoing, talkative, and smaller than most amazon species. In my area, where birds are quite pticey, they are usually under 1000, but totally worth it. All Amazons have big personalities, lilacs just seem to have less attitude. But that's just in my experience through many years in the pet industry. You need to always find a bird that fits you. They seem to pick us not the other way around

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Don't discount older birds that need a new home either. Amazons are such long lived species there are a lot of nice ones out there for free, or much less money than a new baby. You may also find an older one is past the worst of it's hormonal years. I think everyone who emailed me about one when I was looking to adopt an older bird had theirs in an awful, tiny cage, but cages aren't that expensive unless you go with stainless steel.

I'm very glad I adopted Pete. I already had a large cage from my bird that passed away. He converted to pellets pretty easily and is now getting the right nutrition. He is quite cuddly and loving, and his hormones are no big deal at all. He has even learned a few new words and phrases and is talking a lot more.

nikkiscriv

Oct 10, 2011
Dallas, TX
Parrots
Yoshi - Blue Front Amazon, Ozzy - Illiger's Macaw
Is there a particular reason you're interested in Amazons? I only ask because what you're looking for in a bird makes a big difference in determining what breed is best for you. I don't think any of the birds with the best talking abilities (African Grey, Double Yellow Head, Blue Front, Yellow Nape, etc.) are considered good beginner birds but that doesn't mean you can't step up to the challenge if you really do your research. If you're wanting an Amazon, that's what I would highly suggest - lots and lots of research. They are complicated creatures with a ton of personality and even more energy, so you have to do your part in becoming educated in what they need to thrive.

Amazons are rather pricey - and if you want one that is known to be a good talker, typically one of the hot three, they run on average $800-$1200. Birdbreeders.com is a great site, and I would also check out Facebook marketplace, or Oodle.. you can usually find some nice older birds there.

oled

Jul 10, 2011
South Sweden
Parrots
Ville a double yellow head Amazon
Blue fonded is normaly a social and outgoing Amazon and easier to deal with than the hot 3 but stil a demanding perrot so be preperedl to spend all free hours with him. Good luck finding the perfect bird for you

mandolynn

Feb 25, 2012
ND
Parrots
Red headed Amazon(Paco)
Family Parrots-
I agree that adopted or regimes birds are the way to go. Not only do you save $, you save a life. But, they sometimes require more work and patience, sometimes the bird picks you. Have you owned parrots before? I might not reccomend an amazon or any large bird as a first. The idea of them often doesn't live up to the reality and they are alot of work and money just to upkeep, especially the larger parrots.

mandolynn

Feb 25, 2012
ND
Parrots
Red headed Amazon(Paco)
Family Parrots-
And the link you posted is for breeding pairs. Did you want a pet? Because breeders are almost never tame.

OP
K

kansaskid

Feb 28, 2012
I haven't raised any of my own. I just take care of birds for a breeder and kinda got hooked on the idea ever since i spent the summer messing with a duyvenbode's lory. (really thats what i would really like to have but maybe in the future..)

The amazons seem like a good choice. I really like his blue fronted..........for know i'm just not gonna get in any rush, keep doing my homework, look into cages, etc.

Turningpoint

Feb 26, 2012
Spring Hill, Florida
Parrots
Sun Conure
Orange Winged Amazon
Greenwing Macaw
I got my Orange Wing from Craig's List for $300 with a (way too small) cage...he/she was 5 months old. LP has a great personality and is unbelievably gentle. He's picky about trying new foods. Loves to cuddle with my wife (not me). He will play with me and have fun, share food, but saves the cuddling for his one and only. He's a little shy. Only yells when he is having a barrel of fun. He can't talk yet but communicates in other ways. Beware of Craig's List...I consider him a rescued bird.
Good Luck!

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I found Pete on a website called findbirds.com or something like that. His owner was more interested in just finding the right new owner though and he was free. He came with a beautiful cage that was much too small for him. He had a box of toys that were all brand new because they didn't fit in the tiny cage.

He is very sweet and cuddly with me. I did have to get him on a healthy diet as it was obvious he had malnutrition issues. I already had a large cage. I ran out the next day and bought him some toys, which he didn't go near for weeks really. The ones he came with were all plastic and he did shred one of those, and it worried me.

It's taken some time, but he is eating well now, much more active and talks a lot now. It wasn't much effort at all to give him a better life, and he is worth it.

Doris48

Feb 15, 2012
Kansas
Parrots
Twitter, 3yo greencheek conure..Paco 15yo Orangewing Amazon.
ooooohhhh,,,I love those Derbyians.I had an aquintance who let me see his aviary years ago and he had a pair, they are amazing looking birds.

Enjru

Banned
Banned
Feb 19, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Parrots
1 x Scarlet Macaw, 2 x DYHA's
I agree about the Derbyans. That lavender (?) colour on the chest...is there any other parrot with such an understated yet oh-so-elegant appearance? The boys remind me of Edwardian gentlemen in tailored tuxedos and bowties, and the girls remind me of ladies being presented to society in their long, formal gowns with the clean, straight lines. Did you know that Derbyans are quite well-known for keeping themselves well-preened at all times?

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I've never seen a Derbyan in person, but have to agree they are quite striking and I kind of like the sound they make.

Most Reactions

Latest posts