Which Birds Are On Your Birdie Wish/Dream List?

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
I saw some fledging magpies the other day, taking one home crossed my mind several times, LOL. I think they would be a great pet, similar to having a crow of which i've had several.

Were they the black and white ones or are those only in Europe? I know there are quite a few Magpie species.

Oh and if I am really dreaming a penguin would be way cool!

They were the black/white the type seen in Us. This was in Denver last month.

Oh I love the black and white I am afraid the temptation to scoop one up would have been too great for me to resist!:D

OrnithAudrey

May 26, 2015
Katy, TX
Parrots
At home: Clover- Alexandrine, Sage- Moustache parakeet
At work: Rio- Hyacinth macaw, Major- Major Mitchell's cockatoo, Fruit Loop- Keel-billed toucan, Bayju- Black palm cockatoo
Ostrich. Gotta dream big right?! But realistically speaking, I would love a plum-headed, moustache, Eastern rosella and/or rainbow lorikeet.

Giggleagain

Jul 5, 2014
Media
Missouri
Parrots
All my rescues: Pepita, Rocky and Eva, my Quaker Parrots Clover and Sweet Pea, YNA Willie Buttons, and TAG Coca.
If nothing else, this thread has opened my eyes to the impressive variety of parrots in the world! I can even tell them apart now :) and........I learned what a gilly suit is!

Since we're dreaming though, here's my wish list:

- To be 30 again so I have time to

- babysit a Caique (just to see him bounce)
- get all the Quaker parrots in need of rehabilitation and see them bloom

Quakers turned out to be my Dream Parrot. I can't imagine any parrot could conquer my heart and be smarter than my Mr. Peabody, or sassier than my Ms. Clover.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Ostrich. Gotta dream big right?! But realistically speaking, I would love a plum-headed, moustache, Eastern rosella and/or rainbow lorikeet.

OSTRICHES ARE FOUL TEMPERED BEASTS...

YOU CAN'T OUTRUN THEM, AND THEY'LL TEAR YOU UP WITH THOSE CLAWS!

That's a big NO THANK YOU!

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
I hear you! I think I am at my max, too. At least while my kids are young. Not enough time in the day! Life would be boring without dreams! ;)

This discussion came up the other day with another bird friend. How do you know you are at your max until you go over your max? :rolleyes:

LaurenB

Oct 28, 2014
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure - Tiki //
Sun Conure - Nacho //
Indian Ringnecks - Kermit and Beaker
Realistically:

-Indian Ringneck ... I was planning on getting one as my second bird but Nacho the Sun Conure came into my life instead... and I wouldn't change that for the world.
-Parrotlet
-B&G

Non-realistically:
If I won the lottery and could devote the rest of my life to doing something I love, I would open my own rescue and take in any bird in need. Or any animal for that matter.

I was also eyeing up a Peacock on CL the other day. We have a HUGE yard... and other than the pool it's just going to waste :D

OrnithAudrey

May 26, 2015
Katy, TX
Parrots
At work: Rio- Hyacinth macaw, Major- Major Mitchell's cockatoo, Fruit Loop- Keel-billed toucan, Bayju- Black palm cockatoo

Oh I know it. I've dealt with several. It's a bit of a joke with me, but I have come to enjoy them. Mainly because of the reactions I see from people who have up close and personal encounters with them. Always gives me a good laugh.

witchbaby

Feb 4, 2014
Virginia
Parrots
cinnamon turquoise gcc - luna,
pineapple gcc - drago,
galah/rose breasted cockatoo - merlin,
timneh african grey - jasper,
pied cockatiel - picasso,
blue & gold macaw - mia
Blue and Gold or Greenwing Macaw.

witchbaby

Feb 4, 2014
Virginia
Parrots
pineapple gcc - drago,
blue & gold macaw - mia
Oh yeah, in a perfect world I would have a Black Palm 'too and a Golden Conure.

Actually, I would love to have more conures in general. Maybe a Cherry Head or Blue Crowned and ten more GCCs. :)

OP
Blancaej

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
There are some amazing lists here!
I'd love a Violet or Grey ringneck, and an African Grey.
I'm taken by the plumheads...

I fell in love with a plumhead I saw at Petco! Never heard of them before that, but they are beautiful! :)

Now that my wee IRN is coming home soon, I can cross him off the list but I would also love a CAG, and a Hawkhead someday. Not any day soon :p But someday maybe.

Always nice to cross one off the list! Again, this is a dream list, so you can want it but may never own it.

So if money and space were no issue...

Raven
Crow
Saw Whet Owl
Magpie
Hyacinth
Blue Throat
Black Palm
Blue Nape

Awesome list! ;)

I saw some fledging magpies the other day, taking one home crossed my mind several times, LOL. I think they would be a great pet, similar to having a crow of which i've had several.

Nice choice! ;)

Oh and if I am really dreaming a penguin would be way cool!
LOVE IT!! :D

I would love a Hy, a BTM, a Black Palm, and another BFA....

BUT realistically, any bird I brought into my flock would only take away from the attention the other birds already get, and might interfere in the relationship I already have with the ones I've got...

I'll keep things the way they are.

I feel like I am there with my flock, too! Keep the peace while we can, right? LOL! Everyone gets along so well you hate to screw that up! LOL! And I do commit to giving them each individual attention. Hard to do that when you have too many.

Ostrich! :eek: I think I like the rest of your list better. LOL!

If nothing else, this thread has opened my eyes to the impressive variety of parrots in the world! I can even tell them apart now and........I learned what a gilly suit is!

Since we're dreaming though, here's my wish list:

- To be 30 again so I have time to

- babysit a Caique (just to see him bounce)
- get all the Quaker parrots in need of rehabilitation and see them bloom

Quakers turned out to be my Dream Parrot. I can't imagine any parrot could conquer my heart and be smarter than my Mr. Peabody, or sassier than my Ms. Clover.

My first bird was a Quaker! :07:

I hear you! I think I am at my max, too. At least while my kids are young. Not enough time in the day! Life would be boring without dreams!

This discussion came up the other day with another bird friend. How do you know you are at your max until you go over your max? :rolleyes:

That is basically what will happen I am sure! LOL! I'll know once I am there! ;)

Rock pebbler

Nice! :D

Realistically:

-Indian Ringneck ... I was planning on getting one as my second bird but Nacho the Sun Conure came into my life instead... and I wouldn't change that for the world.
-Parrotlet
-B&G

Non-realistically:
If I won the lottery and could devote the rest of my life to doing something I love, I would open my own rescue and take in any bird in need. Or any animal for that matter.

I was also eyeing up a Peacock on CL the other day. We have a HUGE yard... and other than the pool it's just going to waste

After seeing a Peacock show. Yes, there is such a thing. I was amazed! I started getting more interested in them. Very cool birds!

Blue and Gold or Greenwing Macaw.

Both wonderful choices, but I may be partial. Hee Hee!

Oh yeah, in a perfect world I would have a Black Palm 'too and a Golden Conure.

Actually, I would love to have more conures in general. Maybe a Cherry Head or Blue Crowned and ten more GCCs.

More great choices. I just adopted my first conure and I have to say...I am in love with this little guy! He is a Blue Crown! :07:

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)

OrnithAudrey

May 26, 2015
Katy, TX
Parrots

Hawk

Banned
Banned
Dec 5, 2014
Media
Albums
Michigan, USA
Parrots
5 Parrots, 8 year old Blue-fronted Amazon, 2 1/2 yr. old African Grey, 2 3/4 year old Senegal. 5 month old ekkie, 5 month old Albino parakeet. Major Mitchell Cockatoo, passed away at age 68.
I have always wanted a Blue Macaw, their striking all blue color is
lovely.

I would really like to have an eastern rosella parrot, they are stunning, and remarkable. There was a breeder of these in Michigan, I think Fowlerville, Michigan at one time.

witchbaby

Feb 4, 2014
Virginia
Parrots
pineapple gcc - drago,
blue & gold macaw - mia
lovely.

A Blue & Gold, Blue Throat, or Hyacinth?

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
My wish-list (assuming no space or money limits) includes a pair each of the following:
Plumhead
African Grey
Major Mitchell Cockatoo
Greenwing Macaw
Crimson Rosella
Bourke Parrot
King Parrot
Boobook Owl
Powerful Owl
Elf Owl
Australian Little Falcon

Of course, all of these would be kept in massive, species-appropriate aviaries with all mod-cons and servants to clean and feed each day.

In Real Life, I think I've just about reached the conclusion that trade in pet birds should stop and we should all be concentrating on preserving natural habitats so they don't need to be kept in captivity at all. Watching my Beaks fly around the house saddens me SO much: they should be soaring in the skies, not dodging around human stuff. Just MHO, though. :)

Hawk

Banned
Banned
Dec 5, 2014
Media
Albums
Michigan, USA
Parrots
5 Parrots, 8 year old Blue-fronted Amazon, 2 1/2 yr. old African Grey, 2 3/4 year old Senegal. 5 month old ekkie, 5 month old Albino parakeet. Major Mitchell Cockatoo, passed away at age 68.
lovely.

A Blue & Gold, Blue Throat, or Hyacinth?

The Hyacinth.....the striking blue coloration. I know, they are a bit
pricey, but worth it. I'd even go with a Blue Spix Macaw.

Last edited:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'

They smell bad too! My parents took me to an ostrich farm once. Blech:26:!

Just in case the OP is interested though- http://www.adoptapet.com/s/ostrich-adoption Imagine the fun a rescue ostrich would be!

I do wonder what kiwis would be like (not my fruity beast:D but the cute little brown birds from NZ). They are sooooooooooo cute!

Last edited:

itchyfeet

Nov 1, 2014
Middle Earth
Parrots
Ethyl the cockatiel, Henry & Clarke the IRN's, and Skittles the lovebird (my daughters)
I do wonder what kiwis would be like (not my fruity beast:D but the cute little brown birds from NZ). They are sooooooooooo cute!

Lol the kiwis are nocturnal - they'd keep you up all night but let you sleep in in the mornings ;) They're so super gentle though. And they'd help you out with garden pest control.

Most Reactions

Latest posts