Which one is more challenge GW Macaw Or Yellow Naped Amazon ?

SAUD

Feb 2, 2014
Qatar
Parrots
(Sharq)Yellow Naped Amazon
(Bahar) Green Winged Macaw
Hello

This is my first time to have Macaw in my life, I already have an experience in taming Yellow Naped Amazon who's now is 6 years old "I can say it hatched on my hand" :60: , but I'am afraid of this macaw so much, I bought it yesterday and kept it in the shop and I will move him to my house on Saturday until I buy a stand for him and put some toys.

Anyway , he is Green Winged Macaw and as what the seller told me he is 9 months old.

My question is whether taming the GW macaw more challenge than the yellow naped amazon.
:red:

20190925_192858.jpg
20190925_192811.jpg
20190925_193031.jpg

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed.

I strongly suggest you read 2 things on this forum.

1) Go to the Macaw sub forum and read every single post started by , and contributed to, a member with the name birdman666 , whi is one of our respected Macaw experts. He is rarely around now, but his inputs are gold for macaw owners.

2) Go to the Amazon sub forum and read the "I love Amazons" stickie at the top of the page. It has a wealth of information on the care of not only Amazons but parrots in general.

Good luck with your Macaw, they are noted for being one of the gentler species of Macaws.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
85+ percent of the challenge with either Mac's or Amazons is keeping your head from not fearing the Beaks. Both can and do lunge too test /tease the Human. With Mac's it is ever more common as Humans tend to response even more to their even larger Beaks.
As stated, GW have a history of being lovers, but as with both Species, you need to earn their trust.
The diet found in the I Love Amazons -... Thread is useful with Macs, the only differences is that Macs can handle a bit more protein than Amazons.
Warning: It will be very important to provide each equal time!!! Spend unequal time is likely to develop behavioral problems with one, or worst, both Parrots.

About the same from the challenge stand point!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to you and your flock!! Wonderful advice above, there is a phenomenal amount of information to assist you with training both parrots.

I have a special place in my heart for GWs. Magnificent and enchanting personalities!

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
2 umbrella Cockatoos One male named Cooper and female named Baby 1 Little Corella male named Frankie and have 5 Cockatiels three named Male named Pepper, Fiesco for the female and female named Wylie.
As far as taming, the Red-and-green Macaw is much easier to tame as worked with both before and temperament is way more layback and reason people refer to them as a "Gentle Giant", because they are pretty much, just people fear their beak and large size. The Yellow Naped Amazon take longer to trust and bond to you, so taming them is not as easy and tend to prefer one person.

Last edited:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Please remember that this beautiful bird is still a baby and is probably as scared of you are your are of him right now! You are both in the exact same position, only you’re bigger than he is. Amazons and macaws have no real differences when it comes to effective techniques to help train and bond with them. Think of him as a bigger, redder version of your amazon.

Are there any specific concerns you have that forum members could help with?

Most Reactions

Latest posts