appu1489

Mar 27, 2016
Maldives
Parrots
2 Moluccan cockatoos.
1 Umbrella cockatoo
1 Blue fronted amazon
Hello everyone

I was hoping if someone would be able to help identify my yellow naped amazon of which subspecies he is?
He’s a one year old according to the person I bought it from.
I will attach a few photos as well
Thank you

Attachments

• AA586015-2FBA-4C05-AEB6-F1EA82403EB1.jpeg
    AA586015-2FBA-4C05-AEB6-F1EA82403EB1.jpeg
    230.7 KB · Views: 66
  • 3849A9B1-8887-4BE6-8AD8-BD754AEA0C90.jpeg
    3849A9B1-8887-4BE6-8AD8-BD754AEA0C90.jpeg
    286.9 KB · Views: 64
  • 1860F3C3-4022-4A44-8C20-1C46F9937D0F.jpeg
    1860F3C3-4022-4A44-8C20-1C46F9937D0F.jpeg
    259.7 KB · Views: 64
  • 9450CC59-C87B-45CB-8198-B0944D5ECAF7.jpeg
    9450CC59-C87B-45CB-8198-B0944D5ECAF7.jpeg
    302.6 KB · Views: 67

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Clearly a young Yellow-Nape and just beginning to color, which is required to ID his subspecies.
Whoever provided the clip, over-cut the primary feathers (way too short).
Love the young male attitude beginning to show, please remember to read with understanding, the Thread in the Amazon Forum: Understanding Amazon Body Language. Although early, he will begin showing some signs by this coming Summer.
In addition to feather coloration, weight /body size is important in identifying, which subspecies.

I would strongly recommend that you visit the individual that sold you your Amazon, as all young Amazons sold in North America are required to have their Hatch Information available and provided to the new owner. That documentation is required to include the Species and Sub-species of each parent including his Hatch Date and contact information of the breeder and any additional owners since birth.

Last edited:
OP
A

appu1489

Mar 27, 2016
Maldives
Parrots
2 Moluccan cockatoos.
1 Umbrella cockatoo
1 Blue fronted amazon
Clearly a young Yellow-Nape and just beginning to color, which is required to ID his subspecies.
Whoever provided the clip, over-cut the primary feathers (way too short).
Love the young male attitude beginning to show, please remember to read with understanding, the Thread in the Amazon Forum: Understanding Amazon Body Language. Although early, he will begin showing some signs by this coming Summer.
In addition to feather coloration, weight /body size is important in identifying, which subspecies.

I would strongly recommend that you visit the individual that sold you your Amazon, as all young Amazons sold in North America are required to have their Hatch Information available and provided to the new owner. That documentation is required to include the Species and Sub-species of each parent including his Hatch Date and contact information of the breeder and any additional owners since birth.
Thanks for the information 😀. Yes he was clipped when I got him 2 months ago and now new feathers have started to come out. Also I am from Maldives and to my knowledge this is the only YNA that has been imported to this country. And the seller doesn’t have much info about the bird. The bird has a leg ring but I haven’t been able to find out any info regarding what’s on it.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Leg bands sadly have very little meaning these days. Likely a Parrot that a breeder shipped on-request by someone and the band was placed at the breeder's facility to meet import requirements and/or inventory control for the breeder.

Enjoy your young Yellow-Nape!

Please take the time to read the: Understand Amazon Body Language as Yellow-Napes are a member of the 'Big, Hot, Three Amazons. Which means that their Hormonal Season can be demanding and knowing the Body Language will help greatly when your young sweetheart becomes a Big Boy! Commonly they will really begin to express their Adulthood starting in their third to fifth year.Normally, this period lasts a few weeks and they will return to normal.

OP
A

appu1489

Mar 27, 2016
Maldives
Parrots
2 Moluccan cockatoos.
1 Umbrella cockatoo
1 Blue fronted amazon
Leg bands sadly have very little meaning these days. Likely a Parrot that a breeder shipped on-request by someone and the band was placed at the breeder's facility to meet import requirements and/or inventory control for the breeder.

Enjoy your young Yellow-Nape!

Please take the time to read the: Understand Amazon Body Language as Yellow-Napes are a member of the 'Big, Hot, Three Amazons. Which means that their Hormonal Season can be demanding and knowing the Body Language will help greatly when your young sweetheart becomes a Big Boy! Commonly they will really begin to express their Adulthood starting in their third to fifth year.Normally, this period lasts a few weeks and they will return to normal.
Thank you. Yes I will read up on it 😀

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Welcome to the forums!
I don't have an Amazon but I found those threads very helpful with my own parrot!

Enjoy getting to know your new friend :) :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts