Which species does our family fit?

mom2mny

Aug 28, 2012
We all know that the birds really own us. ;)

As stated in my introduction:
I'm looking for a species that tends to be good with a noisy household. I don't want our house full of kids to stress the poor bird out.
I'm also interested in one that tends to not become a 1 person bird.
I wouldn't mind it being cuddly either. lol

Some of the species that I've read about on here that may make good family birds are: grass parakeets, alexandrine, lineolated parakeets, meyers, maximillion pionus and cockatiels.

I've always wanted to have an African Grey, but I don't think that our family is a good match for that.

I have owned many birds. My most difficult, so far, has been a goffin cockatoo that wanted to attack one of our kids every time she came out of her cage. Not her fault, the child had jumped at her cage before to scare her and she remembered that. My senegal is a 1 person bird, so I would like to add another bird to the family. The kids would like to be able to pet it too.

headfeathermistress

Apr 22, 2012
Media
Battle Ground WA
Parrots
CAGs
Quaker
Poicephalus
Budgies
Green Cheek
Try volunteering at a local bird vet, bird rescue or the humane society. That way you can experience a few different types of birds and see what fits.
Each bird has such a unique personality it is hard to make recommendations.
How many children and what ages? Would you be the one mainly caring for the bird?

OP
M

mom2mny

Aug 28, 2012
We have 7 kids, ages 3-14. I would be the one caring for the bird. I'm home all of the time. I just want to be able to have the bird out and the rest of the family enjoy it without being attacked. Our senegal will chase down men and children to bite them.:eek:

headfeathermistress

Apr 22, 2012
Media
Battle Ground WA
Parrots
CAGs
Quaker
Poicephalus
Budgies
Green Cheek
That is funny! I have a couple of sennies that will take all the love they can get from just about anyone. Really depends on the personality of the bird. Species may not really factor in that much

OP
M

mom2mny

Aug 28, 2012
That is funny! I have a couple of sennies that will take all the love they can get from just about anyone. Really depends on the personality of the bird. Species may not really factor in that much

Yes, to women it is pretty hilarious. One day he actually chased my dad around and around the kitchen island biting at the floor as he went. lol Men, on the other hand, do not find this funny.

I love my senegal, even though he was an adult when we bought him, he's my baby.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Hey mom with hands full,welcome to the forum, you mentioned a cockatiel, that's the best choice IMO. great family birds. WOW 7 kids,,, i thought things were crazy at my house.LOL

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
Which ever bird you get, you need to get a freshly weaned bird from a breeder that has been well socialized. Then it will be up to you to make sure that the bird stays socialized and not become a one person bird.

Most Reactions

Latest posts