While polka dots on Rachis??

BigBoy

Sep 9, 2019
Hi I’m new to the forums. I was hoping someone can tell me what are the white polka dots on the rachis of my Amazon’s back feathers under his wings are? He is a 31 year old amazon bird.

Thank you.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Welcome to the forum :) What type of Amazon do you have?

Jim

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
Hi I’m new to the forums. I was hoping someone can tell me what are the white polka dots on the rachis of my Amazon’s back feathers under his wings are? He is a 31 year old amazon bird.

Thank you.

Can you post a picture? It will be better to understand exactly what you are talking about.

OP
B

BigBoy

Sep 9, 2019

Thank you.

Can you post a picture? It will be better to understand exactly what you are talking about.

Hello Tami,

I included the picture as an attachment so I hope it shows. The dots are more than the ones shown on the picture and it appears on one feather only that I can tell.

Attachments

• IMG_1414.jpg
    IMG_1414.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 106

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
Wow, isn't that interesting. I've never seen anything like that.

Maybe other members may have an idea. If not, maybe the Vet might know? Have you discuss this with his Vet?

OP
B

BigBoy

Sep 9, 2019
Wow, isn't that interesting. I've never seen anything like that.

Maybe other members may have an idea. If not, maybe the Vet might know? Have you discuss this with his Vet?

No I have not discussed it with a vet. He has an appointment tomorrow though so hopefully I get an answer.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Never seen anything like that on any Amazon I've had. Be sure to give us the vet's answer, please!

OP
B

BigBoy

Sep 9, 2019
Just got back from the vet. According to Doc it turns out his wings were horribly trimmed. The place I usually take him to have his wings trimmed basically butchered my poor bird. What seemed like white dots is where the cutting happened. Other than that Doc said he looks visually healthy all around, and here I was thinking my bird caught some exotic disease!

Thanks everyone for your input!

Last edited:

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
I'm sorry, that happened. I'm happy to hear he isn't sick! :heart:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Sadly, not only had they completed a bad wing feather clipping, they likely did it with a dull scissor that first crushed the feather than broke through the stem.

Time to change from 'those people' to having your Avian Profession 'trim' the wing feathers of your Amazon.

KevH

Aug 31, 2013
ENGLAND
Parrots
5 year old CAG GIZMO
4 year old DYHA RIO
2 year old YELLOW NAPE RUBY
4 month old greenwing macaw Myha
2 year old CAG ROXY
12 year old rescue CAG MARLEY
15 year old rescue CAG SMOKEY
Time to stop wing clipping your bird outdated process