Whitened with oxygen?

boabab95

Jun 21, 2010
Southern Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Maroon-Bellied Conure
hey, i was going to try parrotqueen's coffee filter toy that she just recently posted, so i went to the cupboards, took it out and read the label, it's says it's "oxygen cleansed", so i googled it, apparently, instead of bleach, they use oxygen to clean it :)eek:WTF:confused:).

Is this "oxygen cleansed" coffee filter safe:confused:

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
I'd say that oxygen cleansed would be totally safe vs using bleach which will always leave a residue that could be very harmful to your fids........

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
Chemically there's very little difference between oxygen bleach and chlorine bleach, except that the chlorine is replaced with carbon (percarbonate instead of perchlorate). The whitening reactions are essentially the same.

I don't see anything wrong with any bleached filters, but if you see any reason to avoid chlorine bleached filters I don't see how 'oxygen' bleached filters would be any different.

They're not talking about O2 or atmospheric oxygen. It's just a nice sounding thing they use to market to people who THINK it's safer.

Mel

Mar 30, 2010
Media
Sydney Australia
Parrots
Eclectus - Shadow /
Sulfur Crested - Chicka
Chemically there's very little difference between oxygen bleach and chlorine bleach, except that the chlorine is replaced with carbon (percarbonate instead of perchlorate). The whitening reactions are essentially the same.

I don't see anything wrong with any bleached filters, but if you see any reason to avoid chlorine bleached filters I don't see how 'oxygen' bleached filters would be any different.

They're not talking about O2 or atmospheric oxygen. It's just a nice sounding thing they use to market to people who THINK it's safer.

there's a lesson learnt - I didn't know there was such a thing as oxygen bleach. i thought they were talking about O2 - thanks AD

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Unbleached coffee filters are readily available in most grocery stores. I use 2 of them to wrap up whatever treat or toy I am using at the time. Rosie will tear into them with high energy to see what treat is inside. It is fun to make these toys and I sometimes incoorporate them into a hanging toy.

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
Hmmm I always thought the main ingredient in most of those oxygenated cleaners was hydrogen peroxide, guess not, oh well sorry about that...

Most Reactions