Who cares for your bird(s) while you're out of town?

OrnithAudrey

May 26, 2015
Katy, TX
Parrots
At home: Clover- Alexandrine, Sage- Moustache parakeet
At work: Rio- Hyacinth macaw, Major- Major Mitchell's cockatoo, Fruit Loop- Keel-billed toucan, Bayju- Black palm cockatoo
First, some back story. My parents raise poultry and are dedicated to their chickens. It's quite comical actually. Years ago, the plan was my mom would sell eggs and my dad would butcher, but my mom's condition was no chickens she named were to be butchered, those were her pets. Well, they all wound up with names, so they've just sold eggs since. They have an over the top system of coops, automatic waterers, feeders, gates, predator doors, the works. I can count the number of chickens they've lost to predation & illness on both hands. They were gone on a 3 week vacation and had their long time friend take care of the chickens who has cared for them before. Well, they came back today to a disaster. The main gate to the field where they're kept was left open, there was little water left, the coops weren't cleaned at all, there was a dead silkie hen "melted" in a nestbox, my mom's favorite silkie rooster dead out in the field and a total of 8 chickens dead or lost. My parents are heartbroken and extremely upset with their friend (who does animal rescue!) who claimed all was well the whole time...

Which brings me to my questions: What do y'all do when you're unable to care for your birds? How do you decide who to trust and who is capable of caring for your feathered friends? I have always been paranoid about leaving my critters anywhere outside of my care, but even more so now. My husband and I will be out of the country for about 2 weeks in September. We've never been away from Clover for any extended period, so we've never had to worry about this. We moved to the Houston area late last year and have no family or friends here. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
Great thread. So far I have not had to leave mine. The one thing I did do was make a diary of what he does when and how. I came home from work late one day and BB was yelling. My BF was about to pull his hair out. He said I have no idea what is wrong. BB is use to a routine and so are my dogs.
So now if anyone needs to know its wrote down. NUT first and a scratch then feed water them all LOL NO nut no peace in the house

faeryphoebe1

Feb 1, 2013
Media
San Antonio, Texas
Parrots
Trixie, Sunny & Gonzo♡♡♡
Ooh, this is quite tough. I'm so sorry about your parents' chickens. How downright awful.

We actually will not take any vacations unless hubby can watch them.

Perhaps there are some long-standing members in the Houston area who could check them for you? Some people hire a bonded, pet sitter.

I'm a weirdo who just can't seem to be able to leave them without falling apart.

Last year we went to the beach for 3 days (an eternity), only because of my hubby staying behind and Skype, lol.

Last edited:

FreddyCheeks

May 8, 2013
Media
NJ
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure-Fred-Hatch date 3/5/13 --- Bourke parakeet- Pinky - home date 11/27/17---CAG-Chicken Lily-home date 12/1/17
I get my mom to watch my animals with very detailed instructions. I literally tape directions for each animal above the cages. I also give her a guilt trip about how important it is to follow everything exactly how I put it because a few years back she was watching my animals and she forgot to give my degus water and I lost one of them.

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
Omg that's horrifying.
I have so many animals I don't leave often.
But my friend takes wonderful care of them. She does everything exactly as I ask (or so I can see when I get back things are usually looking spiffier than when I left lol)

I'm lucky to have someone as I am OCD and don't like leaving.

OP
OrnithAudrey

OrnithAudrey

May 26, 2015
Katy, TX
Parrots
At work: Rio- Hyacinth macaw, Major- Major Mitchell's cockatoo, Fruit Loop- Keel-billed toucan, Bayju- Black palm cockatoo
I have a menagerie myself, so us being gone is going to be very hard for me. I'm not used to having nothing to take care of and won't know what to do with myself! :eek: I work at a vet clinic, so I can even take my critters to work if I need or want to. Although I absolutely hate boarding, I can at least board my dogs and cats where I work with their vets there just in case and my co-workers knowing they will face my wrath if anything goes wrong! I have a former co-worker lined up to take care of our reef tanks, but he's not experienced with birds and I don't want him to learn with mine.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
That is HORRIBLE! I am so sorry your parents lost so many of their chickens:( Sounds like the friend was very inexperienced and had no idea what they were doing (and was possibly scared of the chickens).

When we lived close enough to do so, we'd just drop Kiwi off at my parents house. They have had their parrots for 40 years, so I couldn't have asked for better bird sitters. Now that we live in a different state, I would leave him in the care of our landlords. They have a nice little IRN I have watched on numerous occasions for them when they were out of town, and I have no doubt they would be competent carers for Kiwi (not that we have any vacation plans any time soon:(). If for some reason I did not have another, trusted bird owner to watch him, I would hire a pet sitter with bird experience. The cost is well worth it IMO, because you DO have recourse with someone who runs a legitimate pet sitting business if they neglect or harm your animal(s). I would never consider boarding as an option. Too scared of disease if Kiwi were to be in contact with unknown birds.

Weezerj

Mar 29, 2015
Portland, Oregon
Parrots
Illiger's Macaw (Loki)
Luckily, Loki's foster parents have offered to bird sit anytime I need. Very convenient since they know him so well and since they have multiple birds they are usually available (tho I haven't used them yet)

Hawk

Banned
Banned
Dec 5, 2014
Media
Albums
Michigan, USA
Parrots
5 Parrots, 8 year old Blue-fronted Amazon, 2 1/2 yr. old African Grey, 2 3/4 year old Senegal. 5 month old ekkie, 5 month old Albino parakeet. Major Mitchell Cockatoo, passed away at age 68.
shapeimage_1.png

As of January 1, 2010 Wings & Things has a new owner! Mark Zimmer, a local Avian veterinarian, purchased the store and is adding his own energy and experience to an already vibrant bird store. There are new faces, more bird species, more toys and top quality service and products. Please stop in and see our new look and meet our friendly staff. We would love to have you be part of our bird family.

Boarding and Grooming- We do offer bird boarding services for birds that have been sold by us or have been certified healthy by myself or an avian vet. We also offer bird grooming services for birds that we have sold or have been certified healthy by myself or an Avian Vet. If your bird does not fit these categories then we can arrange bird grooming thru my Veterinary
office.

My wife and I had to leave the country a few times from 2 weeks to 30 days at a time. We board ours with An Avian store where we bought a couple of them. They have care there 7 days a week, even though they are not open on Sundays, there is always someone there to clean all the cages and feed the birds. They get out time with the staff, and have a good time there. They come home very happy. Plus there is an Avian Vet on site 4 days a week and always there for an emergency.

30 dollars a day for 4 birds, not bad at all, but adds up after 30 days.

Kyoto

Mar 18, 2015
Media
Halifax, NS, Canada
Parrots
Kyoto (AKA Kyo)-Green Cheek Conure
Charlie - Canary
Tommy - Budgie
Sunny - budgie
What an amazing service! Wish I had that where I live. We are having our honey-moon in October and will be gone for three weeks (my husband is not understanding why I want to make it two instead) and I'm completely nervous about finding someone to care for my baby. :(

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
I am so sorry about your parents flock. I would be heart broken.

I have a team who watches my zoo when I am gone. I leave instructions for everyone and everyone has numbers of the vets and other care takers. In the event that one person can't do it I have back ups. It doesn't happen often but it does happen. Since I also have fibromyalgia and am prone to vertigo and migraines this same team is on alert all the time. BUT I don't make them do all the nice things that I do for my cats and my parrots. I don't expect them to take my parrots out but they know how to take them out and put them back if necessary. I also continue to add capable people to my list of care takers.

I recommend that you have a backup person(s) in place. You never know when you may have to go to the hospital or out of town to help a family member or friend.

Also, know that no one is going to take care of your flock as well as you do. Once I accepted this I relaxed and enjoyed my time away a whole lot more.

OP
OrnithAudrey

OrnithAudrey

May 26, 2015
Katy, TX
Parrots
Got some good news! My mom actually offered to meet up before we leave and watch not only Clover, but my dogs as well. Now I'll just have to board my cats since she's allergic. I feel so much better knowing my critters will be spoiled rotten while we're gone.

GreatBlue320

May 5, 2015
Parrots
Baxter - Illiger's Macaw (hatch date 5.1.15);

Taylor - Black capped Conure (RIP 3.14.15 - miss you every day little "Girlie")
That is great news! You can relax now knowing your babies are in good hands!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I'm sorry your parents had such a heartbreaking experience when they thought their chickens were in good custody.

I leave every week for either 3 or 4 days in a row and return for generally 4 consecutive days off. Fortunately I can depend on family for both the scut-work of food/water but also monitoring for health, and a trip to the vet if necessary. It would be extremely nerve wracking to have to procure outside help for what is essentially 50% of the time. Thankfully I view an early retirement as something within planning striking distance!

Most Reactions

Latest posts