Who has button quail?

BirdSquawk

Aug 21, 2012
Parrots
Jack- 5 year old pacific parrotlet
I've been in love with button quail for years now, (I love tiny birds, Jack is a testament to this!) and am thinking its finally the right time to get them. I've done some preliminary research, but still have some questions.
-How many quail do I need? Can they be kept alone?
-Do males or females make better pets?
-What's the best feed for quail?
-Are they skittish, or is it possible to acclimate them to be tame?
If anyone has kept quail or knows of any resources, I'd be thrilled.
Thanks!

Taprock

Oct 22, 2015
Northern l.p. Michigan
Parrots
Buzz - CAG,
Ziggy - Nanday/Sun Conure,
Jasper - Goffin
Loki - Starling
Gloria - Foster CAG
I've had buttons five years and love my little guys. Their morning calls are just the best. They wake up the parrots in the morning.

You should get them in a pair, they don't do great alone. They spend all their time calling for another.

Sex doesn't seem to affect how well they do but make sure you get a male and female pair. Two males tend to pick on each other or outright fight. We did have two brothers live together but they were raised together since hatching. Two females might be ok, I've never tried it.

Parakeet feed or mix it 60/40 with chicken mash is better. They also like to peck at fresh fruit or veggies but mine have been fussy. They love clover and celery leaves.

Very skittish, just small game birds. They straight up when scared. You need their cage to either have a fine wire top or have padding. They are known for breaking their necks. They also ar bonded so that if one dies its partner usually follows soon after. Our only tame quail was a single hatchling that only had humans for company for several months. She would tolerate being held but only for short times.

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
I've had buttons five years and love my little guys. Their morning calls are just the best. They wake up the parrots in the morning.

You should get them in a pair, they don't do great alone. They spend all their time calling for another.

Sex doesn't seem to affect how well they do but make sure you get a male and female pair. Two males tend to pick on each other or outright fight. We did have two brothers live together but they were raised together since hatching. Two females might be ok, I've never tried it.

Parakeet feed or mix it 60/40 with chicken mash is better. They also like to peck at fresh fruit or veggies but mine have been fussy. They love clover and celery leaves.

Very skittish, just small game birds. They straight up when scared. You need their cage to either have a fine wire top or have padding. They are known for breaking their necks. They also ar bonded so that if one dies its partner usually follows soon after. Our only tame quail was a single hatchling that only had humans for company for several months. She would tolerate being held but only for short times.

Pictures! Please?!

Taprock

Oct 22, 2015
Northern l.p. Michigan
Parrots
Buzz - CAG,
Ziggy - Nanday/Sun Conure,
Jasper - Goffin
Loki - Starling
Gloria - Foster CAG
I don't have many pictures on this device, at least not the best ones.

This was Missy Quail our first. She was an only hatchling and was friendly. Here she is about an inch and a half long.

taprock-albums-birds-picture17489-image.jpeg

This is her full grown.

taprock-albums-birds-picture17490-image.jpeg

She and her mate successfully brooded 5 babies. You can see one peeking out. They are the size of bumblebees when they hatch.
taprock-albums-birds-picture17491-image.jpg

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!
How precious!
I wish the Rickeybird would let me have a few!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They make me think of Whipoorwills or Nightjars ...

Last edited:

Most Reactions