Who has the loudest parrot?

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
I'm interested to know which parrots are the loudest.

I think the loudest parrots I have heard are probably sulphur crested cockatoos. They have a very loud screetchy squawk.

cocky.jpg

So then in this contest of decibels which other parrots can rival the cocky in being the loudest?

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I have recorded and uploaded to YT videos of my gang being “noisy “
it’s just not the same as being there.

there is a big cat place close to our farm in Oregon and they had a male lion that has passed away now.
He Would roar on command when you were about 6 feet away.
That roar in real life turns your insides to jello.
recorded it’s just a sound.

OP
Free as a bird

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
I have recorded and uploaded to YT videos of my gang being “noisy “
it’s just not the same as being there.

there is a big cat place close to our farm in Oregon and they had a male lion that has passed away now.
He Would roar on command when you were about 6 feet away.
That roar in real life turns your insides to jello.
recorded it’s just a sound.
Who was that making all the noise at the start of the video? What species was it?

OP
Free as a bird

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Recording, or it didn't happen.
Thats harsh lol. It's hard to record our parrots doing what we want them to do at best of times. Then I would have to make a yt account and transfer it onto there just so I can transfer it onto here. Too much effort.

I'm happy just to read people's experiences and opinions with or without audio i believe it still happened 🙂

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Who was that making all the noise at the start of the video? What species was it?
One of the Twins, Mexican redhead amazon.
my amazons can be loud but really it’s not so bad.

I would vote for cockatoo’s as loudest though I am not expert at cockatoo species. I have walked into pet shops with screaming cockatoo’s and it makes me want to turn around and leave right away.

My Amazons can be annoying and watching a movie or having a phone conversation can be difficult but they don’t make me want to leave the house for the noise.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Thats harsh lol. It's hard to record our parrots doing what we want them to do at best of times. Then I would have to make a yt account and transfer it onto there just so I can transfer it onto here. Too much effort.

I'm happy just to read people's experiences and opinions with or without audio i believe it still happened 🙂
YouTube is ez and relatively painless to use.
it’s free.
when you have an account (even if you don’t upload your own content) YT keeps track of the videos you have watched so if you don’t finish something you can start where you left off.
YT algorithm are quite good at recommending content of interest.

for me the whole reason for a YT account was too share videos of my flock with friends both on/off parrot forums.

I can understand staying away form it if you are concerned about tracking and monitoring of your internet usage.

my issues is an inability to edit videos before I upload them.
I also don’t like getting their advertising (via email) to sign up for the pay service to watch sports and other stuff I got no interest in.

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
I heard that kakapos are the loudest parrots (and birds in general) but idk if it's true and... nobody keeps them as pets, heh

I also read that eclectus is louder than Moluccan cockatoo and orange-winged amazon (I guess they are the loudest cockatoos and amazons? but idk). But again, I can't tell it from my experience...

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I heard that kakapos are the loudest parrots (and birds in general) but idk if it's true and... nobody keeps them as pets, heh

I also read that eclectus is louder than Moluccan cockatoo and orange-winged amazon (I guess they are the loudest cockatoos and amazons? but idk). But again, I can't tell it from my experience...
My firs parrot was an OWA and I don’t think he was louder than my other amazons.
But I think there is two levels of loud.
contact call loud.
and emergency ‼️ (I am about to be eaten) loud.

you can live with a parrot for years before hearing that emergency 🆘 call.

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Also, another thing is personality - because not every parrot of the same species is as loud as others - I mean, some may be just more calm or more loud - for example once time I was talking with an amazon owner who said that her current BFA is much more calm and less loud than her previous BFA.

OP
Free as a bird

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
YouTube is ez and relatively painless to use.
it’s free.
when you have an account (even if you don’t upload your own content) YT keeps track of the videos you have watched so if you don’t finish something you can start where you left off.
YT algorithm are quite good at recommending content of interest.

for me the whole reason for a YT account was too share videos of my flock with friends both on/off parrot forums.

I can understand staying away form it if you are concerned about tracking and monitoring of your internet usage.

my issues is an inability to edit videos before I upload them.
I also don’t like getting their advertising (via email) to sign up for the pay service to watch sports and other stuff I got no interest in.
Receiving emails is the main reason I don't sign up to yt and other social media sites like Facebook. I also like to have some privacy as well.
In regards to editing your videos, If you take videos on your phone you should be able to edit it on your phone. I can

But back to parrots. So in your opinion some Amazons are loud but not as loud as some cockatoo species. Fair enough. The squak of a sulphur crested cockatoo Is ear piercing. I think they're the loudest of the cockatoo family. Here in Australia they flock in groups of dozens and even hundreds. They all squak and screetch while they fly together. Its a sight to behold 🙂. In some places they have learnt to approach humans for food.

OP
Free as a bird

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels

Their very rare those Kakapos. I saw a documentary on them. The males puff and make this weird booming sound. It's described here in this clip as being "low frequency, not loud, but can be heard from great distances"

I got the sounds of the molucann cocky on this yt clip but it's not as loud as the squak of a sulphur crested cocky. Their more similar to the chirps and whistles of a galah

The eclectus. I was waiting for someone to mention them. Now they have a loud call that can rival the sulphur crested cocky I think

OP
Free as a bird

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
I've looked further into this topic and found this article listing the loudest parrots by decibels

1 Nanday conure 155db
2 Moluccan cockatoo 135db
3 Mealy amazon 124db
4 Eclectus 115db
5 Quaker 113db
6 Rose winged parakeet 111db
7 Macaw 106db
8 Pionus 96db
9 Caique 93db

10 Lorikeet 90db

So size doesnt necessarily matter. And according to the article all conures, all cockatoos (besides the cockatiel i think) and all Amazons are over 100db.

Last edited:

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
I've looked further into this topic and found this article listing the loudest parrots by decibels

1 Nanday conure 155db
3 Mealy amazon 124db
4 Eclectus 115db
5 Quaker 113db
7 Macaw 106db
8 Pionus 96db
9 Caique 93db

10 Lorikeet 90db

So size doesnt necessarily matter. And according to the article all conures, all cockatoos and all Amazons are over 100db.
I find it as a bit interesting that they find orange-winged amazons as one of the most quiet amazon species - but maybe I was just wrong all the time because from what I read about OWAs it looked like they are so loud but now it looks like they aren't that loud (I even read that its Polish common name means "screamer" from some kind of Indians language). Or maybe they just aren't that loud by decibels (some parrots may be considered as loud in the meaning of often screaming, not loud level... but again, I have no experience with amazons)

Ps. you wrote "rose winged" instead of "rose ringed parakeet"

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Receiving emails is the main reason I don't sign up to yt and other social media sites like Facebook. I also like to have some privacy as well.
In regards to editing your videos, If you take videos on your phone you should be able to edit it on your phone. I can

But back to parrots. So in your opinion some Amazons are loud but not as loud as some cockatoo species. Fair enough. The squak of a sulphur crested cockatoo Is ear piercing. I think they're the loudest of the cockatoo family. Here in Australia they flock in groups of dozens and even hundreds. They all squak and screetch while they fly together. Its a sight to behold 🙂. In some places they have learnt to approach humans for food.
Here in Southern California there are flocks (more than one?) of Mexican redhead amazon parrots.
I have never seen them personally but I know friends that have seen them.
they all tell me how loud they are in a large group (flock).

I suspect that my Luna was originally poached from the breeding wild flock..
there have been cases of unscrupulous people raiding nest sights and selling babies cheap to unsuspecting people.
Luna was such a screamer I think the original owners just let the bird go cuz it was too noisy.
Luna was found on a sidewalk in San Diego too weak to fly but able to say two words in English.

Getting her a friend and companion of the same species has helped mellow her out some.

I would agree with the loudness list you came up with.
I have heard a Nandy and Sun conure scream.
I could never own one.

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies

1 Nanday conure 155db
3 Mealy amazon 124db
4 Eclectus 115db
5 Quaker 113db
7 Macaw 106db
8 Pionus 96db
9 Caique 93db

10 Lorikeet 90db

So size doesnt necessarily matter. And according to the article all conures, all cockatoos (besides the cockatiel i think) and all Amazons are over 100db.
Why am I not surprised that Quakers are on the top ten list of loudest birds 😅
IMG_1091.jpeg

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Patagonian Conures are infamously loud and incessant! The 'net is full of such testimonials. I WISH I had an actual decibel reading! I'd also want a percentage of 150-plus decibel output per average waking hour!!!!! A friend used to have a Nanday, and the Rickeybird was louder!!!

JohnH

Dec 23, 2016
Parrots
Sulphur crested cockatoo
My little sulphur crested cockatoo screamed so loud that it made the metal tray under the play stand ring like a drum cymbal. The play stand was 15 feet across the room. I had to put a heavy object on the tray to stop it from ringing.

OP
Free as a bird

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
I find it as a bit interesting that they find orange-winged amazons as one of the most quiet amazon species - but maybe I was just wrong all the time because from what I read about OWAs it looked like they are so loud but now it looks like they aren't that loud (I even read that its Polish common name means "screamer" from some kind of Indians language). Or maybe they just aren't that loud by decibels (some parrots may be considered as loud in the meaning of often screaming, not loud level... but again, I have no experience with amazons)

Ps. you wrote "rose winged" instead of "rose ringed parakeet"
I wouldn't call that list gospel. I ask myself how was the call measured, with what equipment, from what distance, in what surroundings, the birds sex and age. That can all make a difference. But it's an interesting list anyway.
Those sounds of the Molucann that I found on yt must not have its flock call cos it doesn't sound loud or screetchy at all.
The Kakapo is an interesting one cos it belts out that deep low frequency boom that's "not loud but can be heard from great distances" the yt clip said.
The Indian ringneck appears on some other lists I saw but not this one.

OP
Free as a bird

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
I had a decibel meter but i can't find it. You can find them on ebay or Amazon starting from $20. I'm thinking of getting one to measure how loud my birds are. I think my princess parrot may be able to push out some high frequency decibels, maybe 80db. My tiel I'm guessing 65-70db

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts