why birds pluck other birds

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
so Violet, my 4 month old lovebird was being plucked, or was plucking herself. either way she looked like crap.

Not knowing if this could be serious involving her health I took her to the avian vet.

He asked me if she was being picked on by any other birds. I explained to him about Luna being in the same cage with her, as they are a pair, but also being a total cling-on with her, almost to the point of it being an obsession.

He noticed she still had her follicles, and told me if she had plucked herself due to stress etc...almost always the bird will remove the entire feather, follicle and all. She was also too young to have any emotional issues.

so Luna and Violet will no longer be together. When I have Violet out flying around she never attempts to go near Luna's cage, ever.
guess she doesn't care for him much, I wouldn't either if I got plucked, geez!

so that was good news $92.00 bill to tell me that her feathers will grow back, to me it was more important that I had piece of mind knowing she'll be ok.

since I've separated them, her feathers are growing back, she's looking much much happier, and sitting on my shoulder a lot more now....and the best part is she has hooked up with Halo(my absolute favourites of all my birds)
....still in separate cages though;)

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
Male birds are so obsessive! If human males act like that they usually get hit with a restraining order. I had a budgie pair some years back and my poor female would hide throughout the house from the male, I often had to give her refuge in my room. He shadowed every move she made and it drove her nuts..it was sweet at first, then it started to fray her nerves. It's good they're separated, now she can get some relief. :)

Last edited:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Even babies will pluck one another, especially the older siblings plucking the younger siblings. I watch them do it, but they wouldn't try that with the older birds. It's like they're nit picking the younger ones....

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
Male birds are so obsessive! If human males act like that they usually get hit with a restraining order. I had a budgie pair some years back and my poor female would hide throughout the house from the male, I often had to give her refuge in my room. He shadowed every move she made and it drove her nuts..it was sweet at first, then it started to fray her nerves. It's good they're separated, now she can get some relief. :)

Then I slapped Luna with a 'separation order', lol. she is getting some much needed relief.

I feel so bad for Luna though, this is the third lovebird that he has become attached to, and then been removed from him. he just wants to be loved.

I really wish he could be normal and not so obsessive. I may have to sell him.:(

Pajarita

Banned
Banned
Jul 11, 2013
The problem is that he is hormonal and she is a baby and, when they are in a cage, the non-receptive hen cannot fly away from the insistent male -thus the plucking. Why don't you try to get him an adult, more receptive female for a mate?

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
The problem is that he is hormonal and she is a baby and, when they are in a cage, the non-receptive hen cannot fly away from the insistent male -thus the plucking. Why don't you try to get him an adult, more receptive female for a mate?

right now I have enough birds. I am trying to reduce my amount, not increase it.

Violet was the only one that tolerated Luna, and I was thrilled that they were so happy together.It would stand to reason that hormones play a part, I was questioning whether it would work out with her being young, but this literally happened in a 2 day span. I never saw any indication that he was plucking her.

Most Reactions

Latest posts