Why, no matter what time I put him to bed....

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
Does albie wake up at the crack of dawn even with a very thick heavy black out curtain, waking me (hubby conveniently dosent hear him) with his... Unique.... Morning squaws... I mean singing, then ten minutes later he snuggles up and falls back asleep in my hand for 2 more hours! 2!! Why can't he just sleep on for 2 hours??

This photo was taken the other morning at 6:30 am, I was so tired but I didn't even doze off because I was too scared I'd squish him.

Attachments

• IMG-20200421-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20200421-WA0005.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 139

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
He has to make sure you get your daily dose of vitamin C ( Cute). He looks like he was just put out with anesthesia! You will sleep....... flop.

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
You can't be mad with them (even a 6:30 in the morning) when they are so cute like this!

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
Awww! So cute!

But, ah, just checking. Are you saying you actually sit up for 2 hours while he sleeps In Your Hand?
IF so that is a little bit of a problem, but also If So, I'd suggest that cause and solution are both somewhat self-evident...

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Awww! So cute!

But, ah, just checking. Are you saying you actually sit up for 2 hours while he sleeps In Your Hand?
IF so that is a little bit of a problem, but also If So, I'd suggest that cause and solution are both somewhat self-evident...

Ooooooooh, nailed it! Great catch!

You’re already falling into training traps, stitch. Sometimes they train us and we don’t even know it. “I scream, they come running! So I’ll keep screaming and they’ll keep coming”

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
It depends- when I am up, I hear my bird moving when she has had about 9-10 hours of sleep (which is frankly, too little for her species--she gets cranky over it too). Most birds need 10 hours. Cockatoos need 12-14 (as a rule). When I lived with my bird in 1 BR apartment (which I would NOT recommend) her quality of sleep DID suffer when I had late nights or super early mornings. Even though you may leave them covered, they are often awake due to household noise, so you do want to try to keep them in a quiet space if at all possible.

Birds have VERY STRONG internal clocks and it sometimes takes repetition and a ridged schedule to reset these. Even then, light will influence their responses.

If I put my bird to bed at 10PM tonight, she would still get up at 6AM tomorrow, because normally, she goes to bed at 6 and wakes up at 6...As a teacher who wakes up early, I can relate to the whole "internal clock" thing-- while it isn't as biological for me, I get up early without an alarm because that is what my body is used to doing. Birds are like an amplified version of the same thing, but with extreme awareness of light changes.

Last edited:
OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
I think it's more a case of we trained him because we got him whole we were still working so we were up at 6 so we could spend a couple of hours with him before leaving to go to work. But ... Since then hubby works from home and I'm furloughed.

And yeah, I can't have albie screaming at 6 in the morning when we live in a terraced house, I don't want any grouchy neighbours complaining! Especially when one side has the same landlord as me (we have permission from our landlord, but if people complain he can revoke said permission)

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
My daughter's 6 month old son did a similar thing until she decided it was her way or no way. One or two noisy mornings might be worth it. Of course you could start training that screaming is no way to get attention during the day in readiness. It's tough when they are so cute - but it won't be long before he is hormonal then it might not be so cute.

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
I am teaching him screaming during the day doesn't get him anywhere which he has accepted really well its just the 6am stunt, as I have to keep him quiet

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
keep in mind, this bird is screaming in the morning because it is time for him to get up ...natural in many cases...birds are often very noisy in the morning and evening (and if your keeping him covered that adds to the problem when you can't get up to uncover him). You probably need to get up earlier and uncover him BEFORE he starts screaming or re-train his routine, but this is more of a sensory thing than a tantrum. Although you don't want to teach a bird it can manipulate you by screaming, which is why you need to uncover the bird beforehand---even though this is just him wondering what the heck is going on (internal clock probably told him it was AM an hour before he even started screaming).

Again-- you admitted that this was your old schedule and that is what his clock is set to, so you need to go back to that if you want to keep him quiet (while gradually adjusting bed-times and wake-ups over time). Also if you don't have a breathable black-out cover, consider that, as they are sensitive to light in the morning. You are still going to have to get up, but sometimes a black out cover will buy a bit of time.

Last edited:
OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
I know it's a sensory thing and that it's totally natural. And to be honest if I end up going to be going back to work in the next couple of weeks there's no point trying to adjust his routine as we will be getting up at 6 again any way

Looks like I'm sucking it up and dealing with it... At least I don't have to worry Bout making sure my alarm is set

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Just don't wait for him to start or he will begin to associate his screaming with getting uncovered.

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
He isn't covered, he freaks out of his cage is covered, I tried it once and he thrashed around his cage so much I thought he was going to hurt himself, not tried it since.

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
My budgies - Jefferson especially - don't want to be covered. But the room light will awaken them up so I compromise by placing a folded blackout curtain atop their cage. I fold it to adjust the size, and have an overhang of appx 1 1/2 - 2 inches all around. There's just enough that if they choose to sleep on one of their high-up perches, their little eyes are shaded from any light. But if they choose to wake up and watch me -- maybe some outside noise startled them, or maybe Jefferson just doesn't like my choice of televison -- they can. This also lets them sleep as late as they want in the morning.

Caitnah

Mar 24, 2018
Upstate New York
Parrots
GCC Pineapple
Sorry if I didn’t see it, but how old is your guy? My Conure did the same thing when he was was a baby. Now he is two and on a normal routine of bed at 8 and up at 7-9.
If he/she’s a baby, enjoy the bonding. My guy wouldn’t lay in my hand now for all the sunflower seeds in the world!

Most Reactions

Latest posts