Will I still be able to teach my budgie to talk

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Pepsi and sprite, both are American male budgies
I have 2 budgies and I want to teach one of them to talk after he is tamed. But I read on the Internet that if you have 2 budgie they wont talk because they won't bond enough with you

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
I don't know if it is not possible. The only budgie i had who talked (and this little guy TALKED my ear off) was an 'only bird'. And when i had a cage of budgies together, they did not talk (but i also did not make an effort to hand tame each of them either). I think possibly if you work with each one separately, trying to tame them and bond individually, you may have some luck. I had been told "no mirrors", or he won't bond with you. My Percy had mirrors and LOVED talking to the bird in the mirror. It may be more difficult for you but i wouldn't say 'impossible'.

KBEquine

May 19, 2011
South-central PA
Parrots
From little to big - currently 6 Linnies; 2 Budgies; 1 BHP; 2 CAGs; 2 Zons; 1 GWM. Formerly in the flock: 1 LSC2 [fostered/rehomed] RIP: 1 budgie 1 WCP & 1 sweet Pan Am
I know this isn't a new thread, but I just saw it.

My 1st two birds were budgies & I knew I was giving up on some bonding time by getting two, but didn't want a companion who would be lonely while I was on a business trip. So I got the two.

And the one does talk - in fact, we sometimes think we're hearing the amazon & he isn't even in the room.

So it is indeed possible to teach a budgie to talk, even though he is bonded to another bird.

Customcasket

Aug 24, 2011
Media
New Jersey
Parrots
Female Dusky Conure (Kayak) Female Sun Conure (Carlisle) Female Budgie (Meister) Male Budgie (Spooky Burd)
I have 2 budgies and one of them is a total chatterbox. He has his own cage that he spends most of his "cage time" in. When he isn't out with me or doing birdie related things outside of the cage he visits his "girlfriend", my other budgie. Spooky (the talker) used to be the only budgie in the house (Kayak was with me but hated Spooky) and bonded rather well to me. One thing lead to another and Meister came to live with me and has her own cage on top of Spooky's. He still talks his little head off, I thought he wouldn't because of him spending time with Meister. I don't know what others experiences are concerning 2 budgies in one cage and having them talk. I separated mine for obvious reasons (not that I don't fancy the idea of baby budgies :p my two guys are quite beautiful). Spooky is sometimes torn between me and Meister and I feel bad, but i guess about 90% of the time he chooses me over her no matter how loudly she chirps for him. She isn't tame at all.

budgie_man

Aug 21, 2012
Parrots
1 Budgie
My guy is still mumbling hello and Mike

When I picked him out there were other budgies in the store that were chatterboxes.

Most Reactions