Willie

OutlawedSpirit

Apr 12, 2016
Northern Illinois, USA
Parrots
Bo - DYH ~ Gus - CAG ~ Twitch - Linnie ~ Apple - Pineapple GCC ~ Goliath - Quaker ~ Squish - Peach face Lovebird
I think I fall more in love with this guy every day. He sounds so grouchy every time I go near him, he's all growls and barks, but there is no way to deny he loves me just as much as I love him.

He has only been here a little less than 2 weeks, and he is a trusted shoulder bird. I find that absolutely amazing considering before he came to me, he had not been handled in several years, since his primary owner passed away.

He is starting to say step up when I take too long to let him out of his cage. He does not like to be petted on his back, however he is okay with me setting my hand on his back when I walk around with him to steady him if I move and he loses balance. He has started to love scritches and will return the favor by preening my hair. Sometimes he will even preen me first, then lower his head waiting for his turn.

I am just in love. I can't help but gush over him. [emoji7] I wish I had known how amazing Amazon's are years ago. I can't believe what I've missed out on.

f5911f9e154fdae2b96f798f6ec6eaca.jpg
c2f8d64873ec3a74fc1f8fb7395ec269.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Ladyhawk

Apr 30, 2017
Parrots
Kizzy - (most likely) female blue-fronted Amazon, hatched on May 1, 2017; Gabby - Male double yellowheaded Amazon, hatched, April 1, 1986; died February 22, 2017
I'm looking forward to watching Willie transform under your care. The poor little fellow was food-starved and love-starved.

I still think a second CAV's opinion regarding his lack of appetite might be in order, but maybe he will regain his appetite now that he is feeling loved again. Just be sure to watch out for misplaced aggression when he's on your shoulder. Amazons are pretty easy to read, but if he's out of sight on your shoulder, you won't be prepared.

I'm so glad this fellow found you. It's good to know there are people like you willing to take on older birds. Someday I'd like to do the same if I can regain a bit more of my health. Kizzy is helping me with this. I'm moving better than I have in years.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Please halt your discussion on how sweet Amazons are!!!

Amazons and their owners have been working for years to develop a general belief that they are very difficult Parrots to work with! That way, only those individuals that are truly Amazon people, i.e. they easily become owned by an Amazon, welcome them into their homes!

So, please keep the secret! :D

Amazon's are Amazing!!!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Eyes closed....face to face....what could be better??? Willy is one lucky amazon :) Thanks for taking him in!

Jim

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Willie is just the sweetest thing ever isn't he? He is just soaking up the love in that first pic. I bet he is so so happy to have landed in your home. What a sweetheart!

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Looks like you two are getting along famously. I have read that Amazons are the bounce back kings and I think that is true.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Awww, Willie is so handsome! His story and Bingo's story sound similar. It's very encouraging to see how well you two are getting along after only two weeks. I'm looking forward to watching this journey unfold.

Most Reactions

Latest posts