Wing clipping

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Sully-2 year old cinnamon and Bella-3 year old normal
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
I know, I'm the last person you would expect to see clip his birds but here's the problem. Scooter is too smart for me, he knows that hands put him back in his cage so he just flies away from my hands whenever I try to handle him, and he was my perfect baby boy he loved to cuddle. I have to catch him with a tee shirt now and I know that isn't good for him phsycogicoly so I feel I have no choice but to clip him. Also I beleive it makes it easier to tame them and make them better fiddlers/pets, right now Scooter, Rosie and Beebee prefer to fly around the house instead of hang out with me. They used to cuddle all the time until they learned to fly.
What I want to know is do you guys who clip notice any phsycological side effects from it and did it actually help with taming.
Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

*Note how I removed my signature.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
With all the babies that I bred, I DO clip them before they go off to their new homes. It is easier for them to settle in with their new families. It is easier to train! IF I were to keep any, it depends on the baby itself IF I clip or not. The baby that I kept, Nico, I did not clip her as she is very well behaved and do not fly off. She would go for a good flying around the house but she always come right back. She sits on our shoulders while we walk around the house. So far we have no issues with her what so ever. She's about 6 months old now so I don't think she will have to be clipped.

From what your describing, I would clip them as it will making taming them down easier. Cause they can go wild pretty easy if you just let them free roam.

bumblebec

Jul 2, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Lola the Sun Conure & Mimi the Nanday Conure
I think there are right and wrong reasons for clipping, and I think that clipping a bird to tame it up is a wrong reason. The reason they may have been more cuddly before they learnt to fly is that they are heavily dependant on you when they can't get places themselves. A flighted bird is a confident and independent bird, while some birds remain smoochy, needy or somewhat lazy when flighted, a lot of birds gain extra confidence and independence when they can fly and will often to choose to only come to you when they see fit. I personally see this as more rewarding relationship, but I know sometimes you just want your pet to want to be with you.

I would at least attempt some training before clipping their wings, as you might find it helps. Keep treats on you when they're out and only give them some when they make the effort to fly to you. You could also work on recall training.

I had to clip Lola and Mimi's wings because they were becoming a safety hazard to themselves as well as other members of the family. I was absolutely devastated I had to resort to lightly clipping them, and expected the worse. When we brought them home from being clipped, they were a tad nervous and unsure of their new wings, but were back to their old selves almost instantly. I have two very happy and safe birdies now and do not regret my decision to clip them, but when we move to a bigger house next year, I will be letting them go fully flighted again, as I much prefer it.

How old are the birds you want to clip? Have they been flighted for very long? Do they really seem to love flying? Are they good flyers? These are things I would take into consideration before clipping.

Obviously flighted is the best option, but I don't see clipping as cruel or mean. You need to find what suits your bird and your home. :)

If you do decide to go ahead with clipping, I would suggest a very light clip to start.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I think there are right and wrong reasons for clipping, and I think that clipping a bird to tame it up is a wrong reason. The reason they may have been more cuddly before they learnt to fly is that they are heavily dependant on you when they can't get places themselves. A flighted bird is a confident and independent bird, while some birds remain smoochy, needy or somewhat lazy when flighted, a lot of birds gain extra confidence and independence when they can fly and will often to choose to only come to you when they see fit. I personally see this as more rewarding relationship, but I know sometimes you just want your pet to want to be with you.

I would at least attempt some training before clipping their wings, as you might find it helps. Keep treats on you when they're out and only give them some when they make the effort to fly to you. You could also work on recall training.

I had to clip Lola and Mimi's wings because they were becoming a safety hazard to themselves as well as other members of the family. I was absolutely devastated I had to resort to lightly clipping them, and expected the worse. When we brought them home from being clipped, they were a tad nervous and unsure of their new wings, but were back to their old selves almost instantly. I have two very happy and safe birdies now and do not regret my decision to clip them, but when we move to a bigger house next year, I will be letting them go fully flighted again, as I much prefer it.

How old are the birds you want to clip? Have they been flighted for very long? Do they really seem to love flying? Are they good flyers? These are things I would take into consideration before clipping.

Obviously flighted is the best option, but I don't see clipping as cruel or mean. You need to find what suits your bird and your home. :)

If you do decide to go ahead with clipping, I would suggest a very light clip to start.

I have to disagree with you on that part with clipping to tame. IT is essential when they're young to train them properly! IF you don't do so while they're young, it becomes a issue! IF they're flying around while your trying to train, it is NOT a easy task. With anyone raising babies, we know how it is. Am I a fan of clipping, nope! But do I see the need to clip, yes! It have it's upsides and downsides to it. Babies go wild very easily if you give them the choice of free flying or you, they take free flying.

OP
cdog

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
These three are about 5 months old and are expert fliers. They love flying but the problem is they don't like to hang out with me anymore, they are becoming less and less interested in me. Especially Scooter, he flies away from me all the time because he thinks I am going to put him away. I have tried traing them since weaning, because I raised them, but it is hard when they just fly away from you.
Bella, my their mom, is fully flighted and she never flies unless she wants to go for a ride. She just hangs out on her cage/play stand all day. But she is out all day so getting let out isn't a big deal to her. I can't keep these three out all day because my dad wants them in the living room because he is afraid of Sully and I have a cat and dog roaming the house all day. I let them out for 4-5 hours a day but they spend it all flying and not playing with me.
I have to clip Scooter because he doesn't go back to the cage willingly but I was just concerned about the other two. I clipped Sully, the dad, a week ago due to a heart problem and he is fine with it now but it was just a light clip.

They enjoy flying, it's all they do when they come out, that and style my moms hair but they don't want to play with me or do anything like normal bonding and I really miss bonding with my buddies.

Last edited:

Mudkips

May 6, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Birdy the Green Cheek Conure
I think one of the key factors in clipping is what impact it will have on the bird's happiness and quality of life.

While I agree with MikeyTN, I don't think that scenario applies to cdogs GCCs.
BumbleBec's opinion is closer suited to cdogs problem - I don't believe clipping their wings will impact their life too much. What used to be time spent flying around will become more time interacting with humans. I'm sure cdog can afford the extra time to play with them and keep them happy, so I don't think clipping will impact their lives in a negative way at all.

I actually believe its very possible for a reasonably heavily clipped bird to have a happier life then a bird who gets free flight around the house.

Last edited:
OP
cdog

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Yes I will have plenty of time to play with them as I am home almost all day(gone for two hours). I would love for them to become tame and cuddly again and so would my mom because her birds, Rosie and Beebee, arent cuddling with her anymore or falling asleep on her like they used to.
But I have plenty of time to train them and the know how to do so, so I think this will work. Thank you all for your help.

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
I clipped 3 feathers of each wing off Max quite a while ago.. He can still fly, but cannot navigate the way he used to... I did it because he was getting so cheeky, and wouldn't go back into his cage... So I didn't take him out in the mornings, and I didn't take him out, if I knew I had something important to do...

So.... Max spent more time in his cage...

Before I clipped Max's wings, he could get away from my dog... now he can't...

I think he would be happier with the extra cagetime, rather than having flight taken away from him...

OP
cdog

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Well the only way I can catch Scooter is to shoo him into a separate room and catch him with a shirt which isn't good phsycologicaly for him. Plus when he is out he has nothing to do with me, he doesn't let me pet him or play with him until I catch him and hold him in my hands.

I'm not concerned about them and my dog/cat because their cages have very stiff latches that they will never be able to open. Plus when I take them out to fly around all other animals get put outside or locked in another room.

I think I'm going to try the clip, besides if they don't like it, I can always just let their wings grow back in a couple of months.

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
I have and always will have Codie's Wings clipped! She is still able to fly, but not full height. I am not prepared to take the risk of her injuring herself!

OP
cdog

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Wenz, none of my birds hurt themselves flying around, they have never even crashed into anything. I'm just thinking about how they will react to being clipped for the first time.

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
When I first got Codie, she was fully flighted.. Straight away she flew straight into the Window!! Once I had her wings clipped, she was not affected by it at all.. It didnt change her in any way! I lost one Bird years ago from Flying into a Window and breaking her neck and would not take this risk again!

OP
cdog

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Oh Wenz I am so sorry, I can understand your caution after an accident like that.

My mom is off tomorrow so I will see about getting an appointment with the vet to get them clipped. I'm so excited about possibly getting my babies back, especially since I just sold another baby today. :(

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Yes, it was an awful thing to see happen.. My Children were also witness to it happening, which was not very nice for them!

Thats great you may be getting your Babies back :)

OP
cdog

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Oh that is terrible that your kids had to see that happen, again I am very sorry for your loss.

keepsmiling

Jun 21, 2012
This is always a hot topic, and one that comes down to personal choice.
There are a lot of false beliefs that surround it though..some even mentioned in this thread.
Myths-
1.a clipped bird will not fly away- with the right wind, or fright, a clipped bird can and they do fly away. A bird outside that is clipped has a higher chance of falling victim to a predator. They are also less likely to come back, as some do.
2. clip young birds so you can train them. Nothing like a bit of dominance to show them who's boss?
Far better- create a positive relationship and bonding with proper training, recall training. Holly does not especially like to go in her cage. So I figured out her highest value treat-cashews. Drop a cashew in her bowl, she goes in for it, door closes, problem solved. Sometimes it just comes down to having a bit of patience. I have had both Holly and Cochise want to fly or move away when asked to step up to go in the cage. I use the same phrase every time I need to go out, regardless where I am actually going....it is easy and they know the phrase. I say it several minutes a few times before I actually attempt to put them in their cage. They know the routine, and even if being a bit stubborn, if I have a bit of patience, they do step up and go in. They get lots of praise or a treat.
Never, ever chase your bird. Even if there is a need to towel the bird. Better to take the bird to an enclosed area, like the bathroom{make sure to close the toilet} place the bird on the floor, and towel them from behind.
One of the most important parts of teaching a flighted bird, is to teach him to fly up and fly down to you. This can save your bird if heaven forbid he does get out. If they do not know how, a bird will not fly down to you from a tree, or whatever they are on.
You are always going to go through different phases, and depending on the type of bird, some when hormonal must have limited out of cage time...ie: male Umbrella Cockatoos or Amazons for example. If a bird is dive bombing and/or injuring people, a light clip might just take the wind out of his sails. Sometimes they just need time to get through the hormonal period, and after it passes they can come back to their old self. Patience is always key with all aspects of keeping birds.

I keep a screen door on my bird room, so we can talk and see, and interact, but we don't have any wild flights out to the kitchen sink, or trips out the door. Caution is always taken when they are out of the bird room. We don't have kids. I do see this as a problem in homes where a bird is kept in the living area for example. Bird is out on his cage, kids are running around and going in and out of the door, or door gets left open. Too bad not everyone can have a safety door installed on their doors. This would save a LOT of birds who fly away.

3. flighted birds will just crash into everything. Take your bird up to windows, mirrors, etc, Let him touch it and learn it is a solid object. Do this more than once.There are stickers you can get so they can see them also. Close blinds, curtains, etc, will help.

Everyone must be on board and have the awareness that this is a home with flighted birds.

I am sorry for the loss of your bird Wenz.

Last edited:

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
If you have to towel your bird or "shoo" it into another room ,then IMO free flighted is not working for you and your fid, if your goal is a cuddly family member.

keepsmiling

Jun 21, 2012
I do not know too many birds who enjoy having nails trimmed, or receiving meds if needed. Sometimes they just have to be toweled for their own safety and yours. I can bet there is not one HH that will offer up his feet to be trimmed.:09:

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Your probably right about the HH,LOL. My point is he's backing up on the trust issues if he's having to go though all that with his birds.

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Forrest -Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure, Nacho- Sun Conure
I clip my Gcc wings.........I don't want to entirely take away his flight. My vet showed me how to do it.
Leave the 3 longest flight feathers....keeps them looking pretty. Take a small amount off the next 5 or 7 I started with 5. I ended up having to take 7 because he is such an acrobat. Cut each feather one at a time, don't just take a whack with the scissors and do all at once. It is amazing how much better they tolerate that. I had to take a tiny bit more off of Forrest and doing it one at a time he didn't even squirm. I put him in a towel in my lap on his tummy, spread the wing and start.
If you hold them on their back their feet are always coming up in the scissor range, scary.

He is just a stunt pilot I had to take a little more off he was flying straight up to the ceiling fan (fan is always off of course) we don't have that luxury anymore. LOL

Then after the first clip, if they can still fly too well, you take a little more off one feather at a time. You can take them to where they can only glide to the floor or fly straight. I try to keep him where he can fly straight because I like him to be able to fly from room to room. I still may have to take more off, but this way you can gauge his flying ability and gradually get them where you want them.
Hope this helps

Most Reactions