Wing Flipping

Mel

Mar 30, 2010
Media
Sydney Australia
Parrots
Eclectus - Shadow /
Sulfur Crested - Chicka
I also recommend keeping your bird in a bubble: there are far too many things that could harm them. Keep them in a bubble and keep the bubble in a padded room.

Note that the bubble must be a perfect sphere with a radius equal to 1.23 times the birds body length. The padded room should be precisely 15680 cubic feet measuring 49 feet by 32 feet by 10 feet (LxWxH).

That is the first that I have heard or read something like this and I've never seen it either? Can you please explain to me why a bubble is necessary and is it only for ekkies with a decease or all of them? Thanks.:D

Mel, I'll help you with YOUR padded room cause I am so confused I think we both need it now.
crazy.gif

AD was being silly about the bubble room :p

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
Ja, after a while of thinking I burst out in laughter.
LAUGHINGTEERS-1.gif
It is hard to keep up with all the new things that I am learning, wing flipping, toe tapping, stress feathers, PHDF, NFD, EEP and and and.. My head is truly spinning!

Last edited:

SharonC

May 26, 2010
Guys, do what I do...Read LOTS! And then add a large dose of common sense, so you sort the "drivel" from the "sensible" ...

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
AD You are too funny. Now how much will the bubble cost? Will it fit in the cage? Should we give a prize to the first forum member to post a picture of their Bird Bubble!!! Oh one other thing, how do I know what percentage of the bird goes inside the bubble??

Have to admit I got a big laugh out of this and I even read it to Rosie.

Last edited:
OP
A

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
Wow, you leave a thread for a few days and look how it grows lol.

Thanks for all they great diet info guys, there has been some great information shared here. F&V does make up for the bulk of his diet with nuts, some seeds and the occasional egg mixed in.

I have been studying his flipping behaviour carefully over the last few days to see exactly when he does it. I have determined that he does only do it when people are nearby or something exciting is happening. Could this then be interpreted simply as excitement?

I do however still have suspicions of a diet that is not quite right, maybe he is just hungry and slightly undernourished? Eddie usually screams when he does this flipping thing so I am starting to change his diet around a bit to see if that will help, and I am already seeing drastic improvements. I have added many more fresh foods to his diet. The biggest problem was getting him to try the new foods, sweet potato was one of them. I got around this by making sweet potato mash and then mixing in his favourite nuts and veggies. Now he can't get enough of sweet potato. I have also managed to get him to finally try foods such as red pepper, blue berries and banana (the mushy foods are the hardest to introduce). I have also started to give him some egg on a more regular basis. BUT the biggest thing I have done is Break up his intake a bit so he is receiving more food in late afternoon/evening. He would usually get the bulk of his food in the morning and only a light 'snack' in the afternoon, now he gets two separate meals. The wing flipping is still a problem but it does seem to be reducing when outside his cage. I hope this is due to more well rounded diet. It is early days on this new diet to tell for sure though, so we will see what happens.

BTW AD, just picked up a bubble for Eddie today, he is having such a great time rolling around and bumping into things:p Great idea!

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
I have just one question AD, when the birds are in the "bubble" do their beaks have to be covered?
Otherwise
:22_yikes:
Well of course! Don't you have Mishka on a respirator 24/7? Do you KNOW the kinds of things she could be exposed to in regular air!

OMG be back later, gotta do some quick shopping " FOR A RESPIRATOR "
In the meantime I have placed her in "bubble wrapping" better than the regular air.:17:

Birdamor

Banned
Banned
Jun 14, 2010
Wow, you leave a thread for a few days and look how it grows lol.

Thanks for all they great diet info guys, there has been some great information shared here. F&V does make up for the bulk of his diet with nuts, some seeds and the occasional egg mixed in.

I have been studying his flipping behaviour carefully over the last few days to see exactly when he does it. I have determined that he does only do it when people are nearby or something exciting is happening. Could this then be interpreted simply as excitement?

I do however still have suspicions of a diet that is not quite right, maybe he is just hungry and slightly undernourished? Eddie usually screams when he does this flipping thing so I am starting to change his diet around a bit to see if that will help, and I am already seeing drastic improvements. I have added many more fresh foods to his diet. The biggest problem was getting him to try the new foods, sweet potato was one of them. I got around this by making sweet potato mash and then mixing in his favourite nuts and veggies. Now he can't get enough of sweet potato. I have also managed to get him to finally try foods such as red pepper, blue berries and banana (the mushy foods are the hardest to introduce). I have also started to give him some egg on a more regular basis. BUT the biggest thing I have done is Break up his intake a bit so he is receiving more food in late afternoon/evening. He would usually get the bulk of his food in the morning and only a light 'snack' in the afternoon, now he gets two separate meals. The wing flipping is still a problem but it does seem to be reducing when outside his cage. I hope this is due to more well rounded diet. It is early days on this new diet to tell for sure though, so we will see what happens.

BTW AD, just picked up a bubble for Eddie today, he is having such a great time rolling around and bumping into things:p Great idea!

Good for you and better still for your bird! I meant to mention before that the most comprehensive account of ekkies wild diet I found was written by a missionary who not only observe them himself in the wild but also questioned the indigineous people of the island where he was staying about them. It was very interesting reading.

Koni

Sep 26, 2015
Macedonia
Parrots
Koni (ring-necked parakeet)
I know this is an old thread but I found it and I'm looking for more info on what my male IRN does. He's about 3 years old. I had him for about 2.5 years. He's really attached to me, and when I leave the room he starts flapping his wings, which I'm almost sure is about attention.

But he also does the flapping or whatever it's called before going to sleep. He'll just flap his wings for about 30secs-1min and he'll go to sleep like nothing happened, all relaxed and grinding his beak. He stops the flapping when I put my hand close to him, so is this some security thing? Does he not feel safe before going to sleep?

He just kinda halfway flaps and moves his wings, he does not tap his feet.

Most Reactions