Wing Improvement!!!

sammmy

May 7, 2014
Canada
Parrots
1 Cinnamon Conure
Hatched November 26, 2013
Hi!
Not sure how many of you remember but when I came on here a few months ago I had adopted a GCC with stripped feathers and was showing wing destructive behaviors.. I wanted to show everyone an update on Skittles!

This was when I first got him and joined the site:

And this is Skittles today:

That's a difference about about 6 months living with me :D

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
That's quite an improvement.....looks like he was originally barbering his feathers...stripping the feather barbs from the shafts.....congratulations.....

OP
sammmy

sammmy

May 7, 2014
Canada
Parrots
1 Cinnamon Conure
Hatched November 26, 2013
A better diet, constant stimulation and lots of love!

When I got him he was on a seed diet that he actually hated, and he rarely ate veggies or fruits. Now he eats the Tropican Life Time pellets and he gets a small amount of the Kaytee Tropical Carnival seed mix (he loves the hot peppers and dried bits of fruit) He eats leafy green veggies and carrots most often but gets other fruit treats as well.

For a while he was getting a new toy once a week just for destroying purposes and then I rotated his toys every two weeks so he thought they were new LOL. We also found a bunch of cool foraging toys which he loves and seems to distract him.

And then once his feathers grew in we encouraged him to learn to fly and he absolutely loves flying and having the freedom to chase after us or the dogs!

I knew he SEEMED much happier since coming to live with us but this feather improvement and how silky smooth his feathers look and feel definitely proves it to me.

Ohyeah and ofcourse positive reinforcement for good behaviors helped alot :)

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
WOW! That's amazing progress! Skittles looks fantastic, thanks for the happy update. I love success stories.

4dugnlee

Apr 27, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Sassy - 13 y.o. Blue Front Amazon, Cisco - 6 y.o. Sun Conure, Peanut - 8 y.o. U2
Fred - 2(?) y.o. Cockatiel, Ginger - 3 or 4(?) y.o. Cockatiel
That is AWESOME!! Great job taking care of him and giving him the love he deserves!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts