Can anyone ID this beak discoloration?

cixel

Nov 7, 2014
First off, I want to thank you guys here at Parrot Forum. I've been lurking for weeks reading and learning what I can to help me prepare a good home for my new new buddy.

Anyway, this is my friend Banjo. I've had him for a little over a week. His diet is a mix of pellets and the seed mix they had him on at the store. I noticed this weird discoloration of his beak just a half hour ago and it's worrying. He seems like his usual goofy self. Is there something wrong or is this normal?

I plan to call a vet as soon as I can, but it's late and I don't know any good avian vets I can call right now. For now, can anyone ID what's happening? Thanks in advance.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Oh that's just normal flaking :). As the beak grows and renews itself by shedding outer layers, you'll see some of that on a regular basis. Some species like Amazons and Pionus can get it really bad. That's nothing ;). Banjo is cute!

Last edited:

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Hello and welcome! Banjo is adorable!

OP
C

cixel

Nov 7, 2014
Phew. I can sleep so much more easily now! Thank you so much! I'd read that their beaks flake but it was the color of the beak underneath that had me a little worried because I assumed it would be white (not the weird tan/brown).

Do you guys know if it's at all uncomfortable for them to go through this? Would he appreciate a rough toy/perch to rub his beak on or something?

Anyway, his cuteness is just how he cleverly disguises the fact that he's plotting to chew a hole in my shirt or throw perfectly good food onto my carpet...
and then when I'm working at my computer, the little brat will nibble my fingers as I type until I stop ignoring him and scratch his head.
Yay banjo!

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
It shouldn't be any more uncomfortable than your fingernails growing ;). To be honest I don't think he even notices the specific chipped spot. In fact it's something that will be constantly happening throughout his life. Some people choose to get the beak filed and smoothed when they take the bird grooming. It's not necessary to do under normal circumstances. Sometimes if there is a problem with the liver or kidneys, it can show in an overgrowth (or very fast growth) of nails and beak.

Robin is the only one who will willingly sit there and let me carefully chip his beak with my fingernails. Honestly, if you just let nature take care of itself and do nothing about it, he'll be just fine.

Most Reactions