Wishing for a Bourke's section

OP
buurd

buurd

May 11, 2018
Parrots
2 Rosy Bourke's parrots
Thank you, Scott, other mods, & of course Admin, for making a Bourke's section, on behalf of all of us who have and/or love these sweet little birds :bigkiss::jumping40

See the rest of you guys on the new Bourke's section! :emoticonc

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Birds are like stars, Im always seeing new one, like this guy, just now;

15095561_2411_1024x2000.jpg

He even looks like he's wearing a galaxy of stars on his feathers, how magnificent <3

You mean "like this gal" and "She even looks like she's wearing a galaxy of stars on her feathers" right? ;)

81e70719-f91f-46cf-ae5f-75ff5bd864a5-original.jpg

OP
buurd

buurd

May 11, 2018
Parrots
2 Rosy Bourke's parrots
I defer to your knowledge of cockatoos ;)

Do your rosy & budgie get along? Ive read a lot about not having them together, as budgies will bully them

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Besides cockatiels, I don't have cockatoos... but the black cockatoos are very unique birds! Both the male and females (red tail, yellow tail, etc - except palms, which are also very unique) are all unique in their own appearances!

My bourke isn't a rosy... she's just the normal wild type, which I prefer! ;) She and the budgie were from the same home. Honestly, I think she was being more aggressive towards him than he was towards her... lol I moved him to a different cage for now.

OP
buurd

buurd

May 11, 2018
Parrots
2 Rosy Bourke's parrots
Correction: Your non-rosy Bourke's parrot. I should have looked closer. I think I'll just call them all bourkes, and play it safe ;)

I kind of believe that if there's not a lot of evidence out there that bourkes are so gentle that they get bullied by most other birds, then maybe we dont really have a good idea of this, and individual personalities of the birds may play just as big of a role.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Yes, bourkes are kind of feisty birds in their own right! I feel like they are somewhere between a finch and a cockatiel. They "growl" when upset but are very flighty birds. They don't really climb around all that much *UNLESS* clipped, and from what little I've seen, it's not the same as other parrots climbing around.

I was feeding the two together and the budgie kept "nipping" at her feathers. He was upset that she was "in the way" and wanted her to move so he could eat, too. Not true aggression, just 'Hey! Move it! I want to join, too!". But whatever he did to upset her, she was going after him quite mad! Mostly around his back...

Bourkes aren't really out to cause true harm, but they can still stand their ground, growl, and attempt to look like big birds when they aren't.

Most Reactions