Wonderful B&G Needs a Home

Bandespresso

Dec 22, 2014
Tucson, AZ
Parrots
Congo African Grey+
Worked closely with many species, birds with behavioral problems, and now birds of prey and other wildlife
I'm so sorry you have yet to find a good home for Harley. I tried poking around my group of people in socal to see if anyone is interested and I have had no luck :(.

It warms my heart to see that you are taking your time to find the home that "feels right" as opposed to pawning your baby off on the highest bidder like entirely too many irresponsible bird owners do. In all honesty, if late August rolls around and you're still looking, get into contact with me. I have pretty much decided I need a mac in my life and I will hopefully be in a position to take one on on late August/early October (I'm moving my boyfriend from california so travelling is not a problem).

OP
LeeKiss

LeeKiss

May 12, 2015
Las Vegas, Nevada
Parrots
"Harley" rehomed Aug 2015 due to my age and health.
I am adopting two Eclectus tomorrow, and the previous owner is in a somewhat similar situation. Unfortunately her birds need a lot of work, but she loves them dearly and was able to find just the right fit for each one of her large flock (over 20 birds ranging from lovebirds to cockatoos and macaws). Have you reached out to parrot clubs in your area? I know our club does a lot of rescue ad rehoming, but many of us are waiting for JUUUUUUUST the right bird, that special one; perhaps Harley is the missing family member of one of your local parrot people?
I have not tried a local club. Good idea. I was just so impressed with the people on this forum and how much you all love your feathered friends that this forum seemed like the place to start.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Oh trust me, I understand! There are a lot of sweet people here. I am just running across your post right after hearing my new friend talk about how she never dreamed these birds, who have some serious issues, find homes who are so eager to love them. I know if you were to reach out to our local club, there would be multiple great homes available. That said, we are in Hawaii, so I dont think any of us are a good option, but perhaps a similar club is near you :)

OP
LeeKiss

LeeKiss

May 12, 2015
Las Vegas, Nevada
Parrots
I tried to send a PM, but the system would not allow it. I'm interested in speaking with you regarding Harley. I'm 45, with large bird experience (macaw & cockatoos), but do not have any birds now. I miss having a bird & am looking into an adoption but want to find the right bird. Thank you - Jennifer
Jennifer - I am sending the Moderator a request to send you my email.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
OP
LeeKiss

LeeKiss

May 12, 2015
Las Vegas, Nevada
Parrots
Re: Wonderful B&G Needs a Home

So I have to tell a Harley story...

Harley loves bone marrow especially chicken legs. One Sunday afternoon about 15 years ago, I walked past her cage in the living room. I had a plate of spicy chicken wings and a beer, planning to watch a football game.

Before I sat down I heard "Come here, come here."

I walked to her plate in hand. She said "Is that good?" looking at my plate.

Without thinking, I said "Yes, it is." She quickly responded "I want some."

I handed her one and she said "mmmmm thank you." I went to the couch and started watching the game.

Then it hit me. This "bird" put 4 short sentences together to get what she wanted! Damn! That is human reasoning ability coupled with language skills.

That was the day I realized how smart these birds really are and my respect for them soared.

Harley is not for sale. There is no price on her. She will only be 'given' to someone who can fully appreciate this story and fully respects the intellegence these magnificent birds possess. They are gifts to those of us lucky enough to share their lives.

Thank you for reading this.

OP
LeeKiss

LeeKiss

May 12, 2015
Las Vegas, Nevada
Parrots
Oh trust me, I understand! There are a lot of sweet people here. I am just running across your post right after hearing my new friend talk about how she never dreamed these birds, who have some serious issues, find homes who are so eager to love them. I know if you were to reach out to our local club, there would be multiple great homes available. That said, we are in Hawaii, so I dont think any of us are a good option, but perhaps a similar club is near you :)
Good suggestion. I am looking online now. [emoji6]

OP
LeeKiss

LeeKiss

May 12, 2015
Las Vegas, Nevada
Parrots
I am adopting two Eclectus tomorrow, and the previous owner is in a somewhat similar situation. Unfortunately her birds need a lot of work, but she loves them dearly and was able to find just the right fit for each one of her large flock (over 20 birds ranging from lovebirds to cockatoos and macaws). Have you reached out to parrot clubs in your area? I know our club does a lot of rescue ad rehoming, but many of us are waiting for JUUUUUUUST the right bird, that special one; perhaps Harley is the missing family member of one of your local parrot people?
Oh. And congrats on the 2 Eclectus'. A good friend of mine has one and she's an incredible bird. Loving, talkative, funny, and a real prangster. You'll enjoy them.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Oh I know I will! They are in pretty rough shape right now, it is my understanding that they have been cage bound for at least the last 10 years, and that both currently suffer from severe nutritional imbalances. They are also both pluckers, the male has never had toys, and the female has not for at least the last decade. I am very excited to see them blossom as their health improves and they receive more mental stimulation and interaction. I absolutely adore Eclectus :)

OP
LeeKiss

LeeKiss

May 12, 2015
Las Vegas, Nevada
Parrots
Oh I know I will! They are in pretty rough shape right now, it is my understanding that they have been cage bound for at least the last 10 years, and that both currently suffer from severe nutritional imbalances. They are also both pluckers, the male has never had toys, and the female has not for at least the last decade. I am very excited to see them blossom as their health improves and they receive more mental stimulation and interaction. I absolutely adore Eclectus :)
I am sure it will be a very rewarding journey.

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw

So I have to tell a Harley story...

Harley loves bone marrow especially chicken legs. One Sunday afternoon about 15 years ago, I walked past her cage in the living room. I had a plate of spicy chicken wings and a beer, planning to watch a football game.

Before I sat down I heard "Come here, come here."

I walked to her plate in hand. She said "Is that good?" looking at my plate.

Without thinking, I said "Yes, it is." She quickly responded "I want some."

I handed her one and she said "mmmmm thank you." I went to the couch and started watching the game.

Then it hit me. This "bird" put 4 short sentences together to get what she wanted! Damn! That is human reasoning ability coupled with language skills.

That was the day I realized how smart these birds really are and my respect for them soared.

Harley is not for sale. There is no price on her. She will only be 'given' to someone who can fully appreciate this story and fully respects the intellegence these magnificent birds possess. They are gifts to those of us lucky enough to share their lives.

Wonderful story to start my day . Thank you for sharing

Mariar

May 9, 2014
Clearwater Florida but grew up in Wisconsin
Parrots
Doolie,Yellow nape amazon(r.i.p.03/10/15)
Sissy,severe macaw(rescued on 03-16-15) chirpy,sparrow(beak less) jack,Jill,chase,fiona,finch, and tiger,sulfer crested(rescued 04/15/20
I wish you the best of luck with Harley ...if I had the room I'd consider taking him...I'm sure a bunch of us would! Sounds like it would be a wonderful enjoyable experience to have him.

Bandespresso

Dec 22, 2014
Tucson, AZ
Parrots
Congo African Grey+
Worked closely with many species, birds with behavioral problems, and now birds of prey and other wildlife

Such a wonderful story and great message! They really are incredibly intelligent and just absolutely blossom in the right home. Harley is a very lucky lady!!!

witchbaby

Feb 4, 2014
Virginia
Parrots
cinnamon turquoise gcc - luna,
pineapple gcc - drago,
galah/rose breasted cockatoo - merlin,
timneh african grey - jasper,
pied cockatiel - picasso,
blue & gold macaw - mia
I'm very interested in adopting Harley. I would love to share my home with a B&G and was hoping to adopt an older bird. It sounds like Harley would fit in well at my house. The only problem is I'm on the East Coast and I'm not sure how that would work. I suppose I could make the drive if that's the only way. PM me and we'll talk about it some more if you'd like.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Witchbaby, LeeKiss does not yet have a high enough post count to send you a pm. If you would like, however, I or one of the other mods could forward your email info to him if you decided to send a pm our way.

Kalel

Jan 2, 2015
Canada
Parrots
Sun conure named Lemon (nickname Moonie) hatched August 28, 2014, BFA Professor Green hatched August 22, 2014, Macaw Flash hatched Sept 15, 2007
LeeKiss, I also loved your story and your message. Your love for Harley shines through clearly:). I wish I could help, but I'm in Canada. I truly wish you the best in finding Harley a good home.

OP
LeeKiss

LeeKiss

May 12, 2015
Las Vegas, Nevada
Parrots
Witchbaby, LeeKiss does not yet have a high enough post count to send you a pm. If you would like, however, I or one of the other mods could forward your email info to him if you decided to send a pm our way.
Yes. Please assist with connecting us. Thank you.

bnmiller

Jun 28, 2015
Im so sorry that you are having to re-home your baby. I cant imagine how difficult it must be. My husband and I have been looking to adopt. We would be very interested in adding her to our family. Important not sure of our location but would love to be considered!!

OP
LeeKiss

LeeKiss

May 12, 2015
Las Vegas, Nevada
Parrots

Well today is bitter/sweet. "Harley" is off to her new home tomorrow. "Jennifer" has experience with cockatoos and macaws. She was looking for a very special, intelligent, mature 'friend' to share her life with. After long calls, photos, and emails she decided to fly to Vegas for a few days to see if they were compatible. She spend the days getting to know Harley and the evening getting to know us. We could tell this was a very important life decision for Jennifer.

She left for a couple of weeks and returned for a second visit. This time Harley was very engaging, social, and happily perched. These two really started bonding this trip.

Jennifer has a PHD in Vetenary Science (or something like that) and Harley is an exceptionally intelligent B&G so they are already challenging and learning from each other.

Harley's new home will be a boutique farm in the south. Jennifer has already set up a double sized stainless steel cage and she is building a 12'x12' aviary outdoors. Harley will also have a cute Yorkie as company inside and a horse and two Llamas outside.

Jennifer is world traveled, teaches at a nearby college part time, and grows most of her own food. Harley will be her friend and companion.

My wife and I truly believe that Karma brought brought Jennifer to us and we expect Harley will spend the rest of her life with Jennifer.

We also bonded strongly with Jennifer and will be friends forever.

Giving up a loved one of 20 years can be devistating, but in our hearts we know it is the right thing to do and we couldn't have found anyone more perfect than Jennifer.

To the moderators of this forum...thank you! This is an example of how you are making lives better for both your members and for these magnificent birds.

To the people who posted such encouraging comments, thank you for helping us make the right decision.

To the members who expressed an interest in adopting Harley, thank you. Keep looking and be patient as the perfect bird will cross your path soon.

Gotta go. We have a few more tears to shed...😔

Most Reactions

Latest posts