Wonderful B&G Needs a Home

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
This just made me cry right alongside with you!

Thank YOU for sharing Harley's story! Jennifer absolutely sounds like an amazing match!!

HUGS!!

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
I am so happy for all of you. Looking at it as giving away a child in marriage may ease the hurt!
Does Jennifer know 'ACTIVE' participation in this forum is mandatory!

Last edited:

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
Amazing how life seems to just click sometimes. Please keep us updated. I know you will miss Harley and keep in touch with him.

Mariar

May 9, 2014
Clearwater Florida but grew up in Wisconsin
Parrots
Doolie,Yellow nape amazon(r.i.p.03/10/15)
Sissy,severe macaw(rescued on 03-16-15) chirpy,sparrow(beak less) jack,Jill,chase,fiona,finch, and tiger,sulfer crested(rescued 04/15/20
I'm happy to hear you found a home for Harley !

GreatBlue320

May 5, 2015
Parrots
Baxter - Illiger's Macaw (hatch date 5.1.15);

Taylor - Black capped Conure (RIP 3.14.15 - miss you every day little "Girlie")
I am so happy to hear you found the right home for your precious Harley. I can only imagine how hard it is to see him go, the right decisions are often the hardest. My heart goes out to you and I'm shedding a few tears along with you.

Bandespresso

Dec 22, 2014
Tucson, AZ
Parrots
Congo African Grey+
Worked closely with many species, birds with behavioral problems, and now birds of prey and other wildlife
Thank goodness! I'm so glad you found such a beautiful home for your friend! It sounds like Harley will be a happy happy bird for the rest of her long life.

OP
LeeKiss

LeeKiss

May 12, 2015
Las Vegas, Nevada
Parrots
"Harley" rehomed Aug 2015 due to my age and health.
I am so happy for all of you. Looking at it as giving away a child in marriage my ease the hurt!
Does Jennifer know 'ACTIVE' participation in this forum is mandatory!

I will pass this on. She and Harley are doing a road trip back home for the next few days.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I am so thrilled for Harley and Jennifer! Jennifer sounds like she was meant to be there for Harley, and it sounds like Harley is going to have an amazing life with her.

You must feel such a sense of relief mixed in with the pain, knowing that Harley is going to be well loved and cared for. You gave her a wonderful first 20 years, and have made sure her next 20 will be just as wonderful.
I have massive respect for you.

OP
LeeKiss

LeeKiss

May 12, 2015
Las Vegas, Nevada
Parrots
I am so thrilled for Harley and Jennifer! Jennifer sounds like she was meant to be there for Harley, and it sounds like Harley is going to have an amazing life with her.

You must feel such a sense of relief mixed in with the pain, knowing that Harley is going to be well loved and cared for. You gave her a wonderful first 20 years, and have made sure her next 20 will be just as wonderful.
I have massive respect for you.

Thank you. We are going to give them 6 months to a year to bond then Jennifer wants us to come visit. We couldn't have found a more wonderful home for Harley...

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I am terrified of the day I ever have to make this decision...

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
I am so happy for you all. Rehoming a beloved pet is a very hard decision to make. It's never easy. I am happy to hear how positive you feel about your decision. Thank you so much for sharing this experience with us.

OP
LeeKiss

LeeKiss

May 12, 2015
Las Vegas, Nevada
Parrots

We all need contingency plans in life. I was fortunate enough that my heart gave me advance notice. The reality is that they will outlive us. We accept that when we choose to bring them into our lives. You will know when it's time and you will find the right home too. ☺

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment

I hear ya Birdman. But its so much better to plan ahead, then to get caught without a plan. As you know it took me many months, vasalating back and forth to finally come to a decision with Rio. I cried, a lot. Even before I made that final decision. I got a lot of support from this forum, and when the time came, I just knew. As hard as it is (and it's still hard) I know she is in the right place.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Well the plan is my daughter gets them.

This assumes that I live long enough for her to graduate college and get to a place in her life where she can take care of them. She just turned 18, and is only getting started in life.

Lila is 43. She's the only one who might not outlive me.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I am so glad Harley found a good home with a dedicated owner! It really makes you think, even if you are young and healthy, because of how long these animals live.

My parents have 3 parrots, all of them who are single-home their whole lives birds. I will be taking them all, but considering all of them are in their 40's (one with some genetic problems, one who was wild caught as an adult and who's true age is unknown) I may just end up getting the cockatoo. Alfie was never my "favorite" but I could never not take him or risk him going somewhere he's be neglected or abused. I will hire a professional trainer to work with him though:p Kiwi is pushing 20, we're only 26 and 27 now, so if/when we have kids, he will be an old thing by the time we go (that cockatoo may still be alive too, out of sheer meanness lol:eek:). Though, we do plan at some point to set it up so Kiwi would go to a sanctuary if we died and no one wanted him so he would not EVER possibly end up in an abusive home again.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Thanks are due to you. You're the one who gave Harley a chance at a good life. harley could find a good home only because of the effort you put into making her a great companion. Hat's off to you sir.

OP
LeeKiss

LeeKiss

May 12, 2015
Las Vegas, Nevada
Parrots
Thanks are due to you. You're the one who gave Harley a chance at a good life. harley could find a good home only because of the effort you put into making her a great companion. Hat's off to you sir.

Very kind. Most of us feel fortunate to have these amazing birds in our lives and we treat them with the love and respect they deserve. Harley is family... Again thank you.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Re: Wonderful B&G Needs a Home

I have enormous respect for how you've handled this entire situation. I'm so sorry for the circumstances that have led to Harley's rehoming, but I celebrate the fact that you've found what seems to be a very suitable match for her.

It warms my heart that you'll be given the opportunity to visit with her again once she's had the chance to bond with Jennifer. And you're doing the right thing waiting that 6 months to a year before doing so.

As was implied earlier by David, I hope we all get the chance to follow Harley's ongoing adventures as she settles into her new home. She sounds like a truly remarkable parrot, no doubt a reflection of the loving and nurturing home in which she spent her first 20 years.

OP
LeeKiss

LeeKiss

May 12, 2015
Las Vegas, Nevada
Parrots
Re: Wonderful B&G Needs a Home

I have enormous respect for how you've handled this entire situation. I'm so sorry for the circumstances that have led to Harley's rehoming, but I celebrate the fact that you've found what seems to be a very suitable match for her.

It warms my heart that you'll be given the opportunity to visit with her again once she's had the chance to bond with Jennifer. And you're doing the right thing waiting that 6 months to a year before doing so.

As was implied earlier by David, I hope we all get the chance to follow Harley's ongoing adventures as she settles into her new home. She sounds like a truly remarkable parrot, no doubt a reflection of the loving and nurturing home in which she spent her first 20 years.

Thank you for your kind words.

Harley has been on the road for 8 hours on her car seat perch. Jennifer just texted "Harley is an absolute HOOT!" Sounds like they are having fun. 😃

Most Reactions