Wondering about my new babies adjusting...

Hunychikn

Feb 7, 2011
Dubai
Parrots
two red headed conures
Hello there. I have two red headed conures. I got them from a guy who couldn't handle them, I suspect they were mishandled. He used a large grey glove to handle them... Anyway, he was told that they are a mated pair, but they are only 11 months old. He said they were never blood tested so I can't imagine being certain that they are male/female. I can only tell them apart by the color of their bands, one is slightly larger than the other.

What I am wondering about is if they will ever let me handle them and play with them. I had a sun conure for a few years that I absolutely adored. These conures seem so focused on each other, and when one of them shows curiosity in me or something I am offering it, the other will get in between us and snip at the one doing the investigating. I have held them on my finger briefly, but only a few times. I noticed that they also like to kiss each other, at least that is what it looks like... a full on french kiss!! LOL

I am a little worried that because there are two of them it will be extremely hard to bond with them because they are so dependant on each other.

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!!

jew1187

Jan 1, 2011
Currently in Rocky Mount VA, Phoenix in May.
Parrots
3 Parakeets, Jaiden, Topaz and Peridot. Baby boy, Skyler, Eclectus.
Generally, from a lot of research and the little experience from my parakeets, it will be more difficult to bond with them; however, not entirely impossible. It will just take a lot more time and dedication. From what I have read and been told on here, once a pair is together it is more difficult because they are so focused on their own that they feel more like you are intruding. But if you give them the time of day they should be getting, over time, I believe, they will come to at least tolerate you with one another. :D One thing I have found from just about every one and every book and website is that one of the major keys to having a successful relationship with your birds is time. Sometimes they will need more time then less, vice versa. Good luck with your fids.

Most Reactions