Wondering if I need to call the vet?

_ad_

Feb 19, 2013
Sin City
Parrots
Optimus - Male Red Sided Eclectus
I am probably just being overly paranoid, and its okay to tell me that I am, but I am a little concerned about my new Ekkies behavior today. Hes spent most of the day fluffed up. Now, this is the first day I have been home with him all day long (because I'm off work) but from what I've read a bird who is fluffed up all day may be sick. He has also say kind on...hunched? over for a few minutes at a time. Almost looking like a vulture? type pose. Forgive me if my descriptions sound silly, I just don't know how else to describe it.

Is this just the normal stress of adjusting to a new home? He seems relaxed in general. Still very gentle, and readily steps up and will take neck scratches or pets. I can post a few pics here in just a minute.

The vet clinic is closed today (of course) and his check up appt is tomorrow. I am just afraid to leave it until then if there is something going on. This could admittedly be completely normal parrot behavior. It seems like most sites say fluffed feathers mean being relaxed, and other times it says thats a sign somethings wrong. I guess I wasn't as ready as I had thought. :/

OP
_ad_

_ad_

Feb 19, 2013
Sin City
Parrots
Optimus - Male Red Sided Eclectus
Yep. Eating fine, drinking fine. Right now he's taking a little snooze, but he hasn't been "lethargic".

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
If he is eating, drinking, not lethargic and poops are good. I would think the vet appointment tomorrow is fine. They do fluff there feathers a bit when at rest. When there fluffed up all and lethargic is when you need to worry.
Good luck and we would love to see some pics.

Most Reactions

Latest posts