Won't get off his cage.

bob1

Jul 21, 2013
California
Parrots
Chico the Cinnamon Green Conure and Malik the Congo African Grey
Chico for a while now (at least for 4 months) has not wanted to get off his cage he just when I open the door will want to crawl on his cage. 5 minutes later I comeback he is ready to come off is this normal with Conures?

ohmyhi

Sep 22, 2013
Georgia
Parrots
None
It’s normal for them to feel safer on their home than away from their home, watch some videos from BIRDTRICKS to learn more about getting your little guy to bond with you and trust you coming off the cage BirdTricks - YouTube

Katiejayne

Sep 30, 2013
Parrots
African grey
Green cheek conure
mine is exactly the same, she will only come off her cage when she decides if I try and force her I get biten and she means it lol!

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Hate Birdtricks....

I would recommend going back to positive reinforcement training / clicker training.

psittac

Oct 8, 2013
My bird is the exact opposite, she hates being on her cage.

Now that I'm teaching her to fly by leaving her top door open and making her fly to me she is comfortable being in or on her cage. Used to be she would scream at me until I came got her.

I have however seen the behavior you guys are talking about from time to time, she has every now and then been in the mode of "this is my space touch me and I bite"

bluecrownmama

Oct 27, 2013
Western Maryland
Parrots
One Blue Crown Conure
Sorry I also have the problem of trying to keep mine on his cage or playstand. I was actually just about to start a thread about that. Fluttering off and then walking everywhere or flying have not proved to be safe all the time...Maybe someday we'll progress to "ok safe to fly now" commands....

When we first got our conure he was more timid. Once he learned that being out of the cage usually meant grapes or being closer to us, or higher up, then he started to favor it more.

Pineapple

Aug 7, 2013
Michigan
Parrots
Pineapple green cheek conure
I had problems with getting my bird out of the cage ( I figured out who and what and why! she was like that now but anyways ) At first I used a stick to get her out of the cage and then now she's really gotten back up to letting me get her out. I now let her come out of the cage on her own. She climbs up on the door and then lets me take her from there. She's made much progress and I think it made the bond better between the both of us. Now she lets me pet her and wants to stay with me on my shoulder. Share food lol ( which isn't a lot just little nibbles ) I'd try getting them out with the perch/stick. It worked for me or just letting them come out on their own. :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts