Worst person ever

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I feel SO bad right now:( Poor little Kiwi was just hanging out in my lap, being super cute when he dropped his toy. When I reached down to get the toy for him (which was a super awkward angle to bend) he must've scooted over to see what I was doing. My other hand just involuntarily moved and I essentially (100% unintentionally) smacked him right in the face:31:. Not hard enough to hurt him, but hard enough to unsettle him. Thankfully many kisses and giving the toy back made everything right in the world again, but I still feel like a total (word which cannot be used on the forum) for this 'incident':(:(:(

Anyone else ever done anything like this?

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
It hasn't happened to my birds, but the number of times I have accidentally caused pain to my dog and cat are daily numerous (but I swear the cat is trying really hard to get stepped on!).

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Oh April, I'm sorry for you and Kiwi. I know how you feel. I had put a new perch beside one of Sweet Pea's food dishes, she was waiting for her chop and when I closed the food door it caught her toe between the perch and the bowl. She squealed and let me know, so no real damage and she forgave me, but I felt bad for hours. I'm more careful about placing perches now.

Mimsy01

Jul 7, 2014
Parrots
GCC-Foofany
European Starling-Zeki
BCC-Ellie House Sparrow-Napolean Parakeet-Bean
over the years I've gotten several of my animals. Closed cage door on rats tail. Kicked the dog, he likes to run in front of me when I'm holding stuff, so I don't see him there. (he's a pit, so I probably didn't really hurt him, except maybe some pride) I've startled Foo, the conure and made her fly willy nilly into things. Several stepped on ferret tails, again they like to run under foot.

Hawk

Banned
Banned
Dec 5, 2014
Media
Albums
Michigan, USA
Parrots
5 Parrots, 8 year old Blue-fronted Amazon, 2 1/2 yr. old African Grey, 2 3/4 year old Senegal. 5 month old ekkie, 5 month old Albino parakeet. Major Mitchell Cockatoo, passed away at age 68.
I feel SO bad right now:( Poor little Kiwi was just hanging out in my lap, being super cute when he dropped his toy. When I reached down to get the toy for him (which was a super awkward angle to bend) he must've scooted over to see what I was doing. My other hand just involuntarily moved and I essentially (100% unintentionally) smacked him right in the face:31:. Not hard enough to hurt him, but hard enough to unsettle him. Thankfully many kisses and giving the toy back made everything right in the world again, but I still feel like a total (word which cannot be used on the forum) for this 'incident':(:(:(

Anyone else ever done anything like this?

I think we have all done this or similar at one stage.

Birdell is an example, When he was just 6 months old, I accidentally shut the door while looking at one of the other parrots and didn't realize his foot
was in the corner of door....I heard a loud screech and well, it broke his foot.

I felt like the worst person ever, but nearly 3 years later, he's my best buddy and knows it was an accident. I baby him the most out of all of them, I feel like I owe it to him.

Another time I was turning to swat at a bee that was too close to my face, and my Grey was at the same time jumping from his perch to my shoulder....the timing couldn't have been worse, I swatted my grey to the floor. Not hard, but enough to make him look at me like " what the heck???"...lot's of cuddles and kisses later he's my best friend still.

Accidents happen...we learn from them.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I am known for being a klutz (unless I'm paying close attention to being deliberate) because I move fast and do things fast a lot of the time by habit. I cannot count how many times I was 'swinging my arm' or my shoulder hit an open cage door (cleaning or doing whatever nearby) and WHAM!! Door slams shut fast and hard and makes a loud banging noise. I've recently told myself (this week in fact) that I won't be doing that anymore, no excuses. I'm lucky no one ever got hurt. It always makes me feel bad though, because the bird thinks I must be mad at him to forcefully slam his door shut like that! Lol..

I can't think off hand of anything else, but I AM CERTAIN that throughout the years I have accidentally done a similar thing as you. I don't remember a specific incident, but I know I've done it before.

Kiwi forgives you and knows you love him, that's the important part :).

Last edited:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
HUGS, April! I know you must have felt terribly guilty. Kiwi has forgiven you, no doubt about that. :)

I've had accidents with my guys (and gal) before, too. The worst one was putting Niko back into his cage while I was paying attention to the TV instead of him. As I was closing the cage he let out a squawk, and I immediately noticed he had wrapped his beak around the outer cage bar - he wasn't ready to be put up yet, and the door had closed on his beak. :eek: There was no damage done, however, I took him out immediately, checked him over, kissing and hugging on him (which he thoroughly enjoyed), and from that moment on I decided to put all my fids on a different perch when I put them back into their cages to prevent that from ever happening again. That accident happened over a year ago, but to this day, he tries to get on the upper perch as soon as I put him into his cage, so he can wrap his beak around that dreadful cage bar, all the while telling me 'let go'. :54:

Kyoto

Mar 18, 2015
Media
Halifax, NS, Canada
Parrots
Kyoto (AKA Kyo)-Green Cheek Conure
Charlie - Canary
Tommy - Budgie
Sunny - budgie
I felt horrible just the other day. On another post I said harness training was going well.... heh, well totally jinxed myself. After being so good about letting the harness go on and off her head about 3 times on our second training session, poor Kyo decided that it was time to fly with it not pulled over her wings. I felt so horrible, it was such a stressful moment. She was screaming and I was trying to stay calm and just get it off of her, I was terrified that she would strangle herself. Luckily I did get it off her neck, but damn did I ever feel horrible for even buying the harness. It was so easy for this to happen just with one wrong move too.

The next day I took a step back and just tried to see how much damage I caused. Apparently she really wasn't fazed, she still lets me place the harness near her at least. Baby steps from now on though, no matter how unfazed she is by it.

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Thanks everyone. I'm glad I'm not the only one who's done something like this. I just felt so bad because he was being so sweet and well behaved right at that moment and I go and smack him:52: I think he knows I didn't mean to, and as I said, I didn't hurt him, just startled him.

GreatBlue320

May 5, 2015
Parrots
Baxter - Illiger's Macaw (hatch date 5.1.15);

Taylor - Black capped Conure (RIP 3.14.15 - miss you every day little "Girlie")
I think we have all had a moment like this with our fids. I know how awful you feel, but don't worry, you aren't alone. And, I'm sure Kiwi knows that it was an accident.

Most Reactions