Would it be ok for me to leave my birds uncovered at night?

Colorguarder08

Banned
Banned
Mar 8, 2010
Washington State
Parrots
Riley-white faced grey cockatiel (hatch date 6-28-2014) RIP Halloween-pied cockatiel
I have covered by birds since I got them but they both hiss when I cover the cage so I have been thinking about leaving it uncovered. I have problems giving my birds the 10-12 hours of uninterrupted sleep as it is because I can't sleep without noise lately so I typically keep my phone on the cartoon channel it has. So and then my alarm clock goes off at 3 am because I typically have to go to work at 5 am. However somedays I go in later. However I know my room is for sure the quietest room in the house so putting them in another room just would not be a good idea. Once I am able to get my own place I will be getting an extra room for them to sleep in and that might help get them the right amount of sleep. Plus I also have my wii in my room which also produces noise as well as light. I have not seen any ill effects of them not getting as much sleep as they should however I know that I need to get them more uninteruppted sleep. Anyone have any ideas how to? And if it would be ok if I stopped covering their cage?

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
You sound as crowded as I am. I do quit the TV, music and any conversations where my bird is at 8pm so she can get her beauty sleep. It seems your birds are in a very noisy environment so you can get your sleep. Somethings gotta give! Can you sleep with ear buds giving you music or something? I think the Wii game should go somewhere else if you can. Yes you can leave birds uncovered at night but would that not give them more distrubance? Have you tried the white noise that give the sound of water or surf or other nature created sounds? Birds may like that too!!

OP
Colorguarder08

Colorguarder08

Banned
Banned
Mar 8, 2010
Washington State
Parrots
Riley-white faced grey cockatiel (hatch date 6-28-2014) RIP Halloween-pied cockatiel
I would just play some C.D.'s but I dont have a C.D. player in my bedroom I try not to play my wii after 3 or 4 in the afternoon however on nights like tonight when I am un able to sleep due to a cold I sometimes play it however I havent been able to in the past couple days cause I left all my games at my moms house. I have lowered the volume on my phone so that unless you are laying right next to it you don't even know it's on. Anything IN my ear is a huge no-no I'm prone to ear infections so after having 5 of my surgeries being on my ears I refuse to put anything in my ears. I guess we will try it tonight and see how it goes of course it is easier knowing I don't have to work tomorrow. However from now until march I won't be on a regular sleep schedule do to my hours will vary a lot at work. After March I should get a more regular work schedule.

Leroy_Paige

Nov 23, 2010
Media
Albums
Colorado
Parrots
Tuco the Nanday Conure, Satchel and Gibby DSH
Can you explain more about this hissing. Is it when u first cover or all nite or wha?
My Nanday goes bonkers for his blanket/cage covering. He wants to help covering it and just chatters away. I want to rec that for vid.

Most Reactions