Would love to find the woman who took "Kramer"

daniell

May 19, 2013
Decades ago when my wife and I were dating, I realized that she had a pathological fear of dogs. She would walk blocks to avoid one. I always wanted a dog, and my parents would not let me have one. As soon as we got married, I checked the ad section of the paper for Golden Retrievers.
The next day I brought home an 8 week old ball of fur. A short time afterwards he developed kennel cough. The vet put him on antibiotics. My wife's maternal instinct took over. She was feeding the dog with a spoon, as if he was a baby. No psychiatrist could have done more for her. Decades later she has absolutely no fear of dogs. In fact she once rescued an abandoned dog, and found a home for it.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I too had to make the sad decision to re-home my DYHA in 2003. Mine for a completely different reason as my son was diagnosed with Wegner's Granulomatosis and nearly lost his life because of it. It's a very rare disease that has no cure, but he was on Chemo and Steriods for 3 years after being released from the hospital and the Dr. said Absolutely NO birds. I Know my Elvis went to a Great lady and Great Parront who now has her 2nd DYHA...My son was in remission for 7 years before he had to do another round of Chemo in 2012 and again this year in June. He is a grown man now and has his own home so I am So ready for a BTM to be a part of my family.
I Hope you do find a Happy ending with Kramer! Good luck to you!

You picked a good macaw species! BTM's are fabulous companion birds!!!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Here is an interesting M2 observation post from a rescue site, where they have dedicated rescued M2 flights. The birds quite literally are NEVER alone for a second when left to their own devices. They are interacting with their flock mates pretty much non-stop 24/7. They don't seem to desire the "personal space" of other birds. And, even in overly crowded conditions, they prefer that to separation from "their friends."

Moluccan's

This is why, in captivity, they tend to have problems, especially when kept by themselves. Humans can't give them 24/7 flock interaction.

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
A Helping Wing has sent cockatoos over to that one. The ones sent over took right to the environment.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
MY WOODY IS THE KING OF THE MACAW FLIGHT AT THAT PLACE... He just walked in, and took over the large macaw flight. He's the flock leader!

OP
mafiadanes

mafiadanes

Oct 5, 2015
Media
Maryland
Parrots
Whiskey (Shamrock Macaw), Baby (Scarlet Macaw), Pretty Bird (Cockatiel)
He's so pretty! Such a sweet photo.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
That was actually his "goodbye kiss" when they came to take him up to the rescue in Washington.

Only macaw I ever really failed with... though some folks would see these photos, and the photos of my daughter with him (he was totally bonded to her) and say how could you consider that a failure...

Truth is, that is a very sweet bird, who was made psychotic because he was systematically tortured by the people that had him for 32 years. He could be as exceptionally dangerous, as he was exceptionally sweet, if he lost his temper, or became jealous...

He went to live in the macaw flight, and within a matter of days, by force of personality, he became the flock leader...

He would have been the best macaw ever, if someone hadn't ruined him. HUGE personality. HUGE heart. 32 years of isolation took a toll on his sanity. He was so attention deprived, you couldn't leave him alone. He'd go mad...

Now He's in a flight with 30+ other macaws. No humans allowed. And he has a mate... And he has an entire flock that he gives love and receives love and attention from 24/7.

So it worked out perfectly, and he is where he needed to be.

We hated to let him go, but it was the right decision for everyone.

Birds and humans.

Most Reactions