Wrinkled skin in kakariki

happycat

Mar 9, 2012
Virginia, U.S.
Parrots
Kakariki (Kirby) Cockatiel (Shiro) Jenday Conure (Jojo)
I made a topic earlier about Kirby, because he was very itchy and over-preening. He's gotten a little better, and I got some aloe vera (haven't used it yet though)
So, the point is, on his face where he lost some feathers from scratching and preening, I noticed the skin looks kind of wrinkled. I see little wavy lines in his skin. I read its a sign of dehydration but I don't understand this as 1.i've been noticing it for a while now, and 2.he drenches his food in water, and drinks a normal amount.

I think it could possibly be rough because he's scratched it too much. What do you guys think?

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Parrot skin is wrinkly and horrible looking lol. Depending on species, their skin can be darker or lighter in color, but none of the have pretty skin under their pretty feathers.

This has been going on for a while hasn't it? Has Kirby ben tested for food allergies or skin conditions?

OP
happycat

happycat

Mar 9, 2012
Virginia, U.S.
Parrots
Parrot skin is wrinkly and horrible looking lol. Depending on species, their skin can be darker or lighter in color, but none of the have pretty skin under their pretty feathers.

This has been going on for a while hasn't it? Has Kirby ben tested for food allergies or skin conditions?

Haha, I had no idea! I looked at some pictures of featherless birds and I think they have it too.

No, I don't think so. I think its because the air is dry. I've been giving him more baths and that seems to help put some feathers in place. I'm looking into purchasing a humidifier.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Yup. One of my parents birds has genetic problems, and as a result, has no feathers on his head. The skin looks like crumpled up paper, and he has little holes on the sides of his head where his ears are (normally those are covered in feathers;)).

OP
happycat

happycat

Mar 9, 2012
Virginia, U.S.
Parrots
Yup. One of my parents birds has genetic problems, and as a result, has no feathers on his head. The skin looks like crumpled up paper, and he has little holes on the sides of his head where his ears are (normally those are covered in feathers;)).

Haha, I had no idea! I looked at some pictures of featherless birds and I think they have it too.

No, I don't he's been tested. I think its because the air is dry. I've been giving him more baths and that seems to help put some feathers in place. I'm looking into purchasing a humidifier.

Most Reactions

Latest posts