YCM question

DeeNTheChillas

Jul 18, 2013
Western NY
Parrots
Will be adding a parrot when the right one finds me.
Do you think a YCM would be a large enough parrot to be intimidating to a cat?

Since I am unable to have a CAG due to daughter's dust allergies we have been considering macaws. I love the big ones (GWs especially) but want to consider the minis as well.

Although I know parrot and cat MUST be separated due to saliva toxicity I want to ensure my bird is not seen as an easy meal by my cat as well. He's too damn smart for his own good.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Both of my conures are smaller than cats... and both have scared the crap out of my cats! LOL

Something about our loveseat.... Charlie once flew onto the back of it as I was having him exercise around the house. Our hunter cat decided to take that opportunity to chase him by running up to the side of the loveseat, jumping up onto the back of it and running Charlie down. Of course, Charlie being Charlie, he turned around and chased the cat right back off the loveseat!

That event could have ended worse than it did!

And tonight, my non-hunter cat was sleeping on the back of the loveseat when Jayde decided to fly over to the loveseat. I had her placed on a chair that's about 8' away from the loveseat itself and I was "behind" it. (not directly behind it, if Jayde had flown straight to me, she would not have flown over the loveseat) Jayde can't fly... or at least couldn't fly very far, but was no longer going *PLOP* on the ground! Tonight was the first night she was able to maintain a straight flight of more than a foot.... and landed next to that cat! That freaked my cat out and she jumped off the back of the couch!

Sprite (non-hunter cat) is ok with birds and I loosely trust her with them. (more so than her brother, the hunter!). As long as the birds don't bother her, she's fine being next to them. The moment the birds pay any attention to her? She leaves! Sprite has moved herself to a "bird-free" room to go back to sleep! :rolleyes:

Sprite is the only one that has been alone with cage-free birds and never harmed them... (mind you, unintentional on my part!) she's no doubt scared the living daylights out of them, but she hasn't physically harmed one. That may not always be the case, but I guess I'm lucky she's not interested in indoor birds! (so far)

It's hard to determine how a cat may or may not be intimidated by a parrot. My birds are smaller than the cats and the cats are kind of afraid of two of them.... but a real hunter (more so than my own hunter cat) may disregard any sized parrots beak and still attack them. Generally speaking, of a cat has been bitten by a parrot, they aren't interested in dealing with a parrot anymore... but there can be determined cats out there!

Most Reactions