Yellow Collared Macaw?

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
Hello,

Just curious as to how these Macaws are as pets/family pets, and if they are worth having as a family pet?

Haven't heard much about them so would love to know more. :) I'm doing research about all sorts of macaws at the moment.

~Kinny

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
i have been seriously considering a yellow collared macaw myself, so i have been doing allot of research. while i cant speak from personal experience, i can pass on what i have read. they have a tendency to be one person birds, so may not be ideal for families. however, early socialization is key and every bird is an individual. i heard that as far as macaws go, they are pretty good talkers. Speech depends on the owner and individual bird. Even species known for their talking abilities may never talk. I have heard that they are very intelligent, active, mischievous, and sometimes cuddly, but with a feisty side and stubborn macaw nature. there are two babies at my local pet store, and they are very cute and full of personality! good luck with your decision!

Joeyx

Mar 15, 2012
Parrots
Birdie (BFA), Cloud (Lovebird)
i had one many years ago but i can't say much about their personality in general because
the one i got was abused and always very jumpy. he did open up to me within a week
though and cuddled a lot eventually. i can say that they're very intelligent and are 'good'
talkers, but like Ann said.. it depends on the bird. the one i had never said any words but
a few grunts and a few sounds that sounded like something he'd picked up from me.
for instance.. "Grrrr!" was when i said "nooooo!" with the same exact tone, and "Uhhoh"
was "hello," lol. he also had this cheerful chuckle which he picked up from my kissy
sounds.

i'd personally go with a hahn's or illigar, or if you want to go bigger.. a severe macaw.

Most Reactions