Yet another vet visit

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
Princess Rome- Moluccan Cockatoo (18yrs old), Rosie - Galah/Rose Breasted Cockatoo (2yr old)
So Rome spooked and fell (to all that dont already know she shredded all her feathers off of her right wing). I tried to catch her but couldn't. :( She had a small wound on her upper chest and a bruised leg. She seemed fine so I just watched her. Bruise went away, great. The wound scabbed over and was healing fine...until it got to the itchy part of the healing process. She proceeded to pick the scab off and then the surrounding area when that tried to heal. She was doing really good at leaving it alone but then her feathers started coming in. She ripped apart her chest overnight :(. So we went to the vet today, of course medications, creams and the dreaded e-collar.

I had visioned one of the cones, instead its a plastic round bracelet looking thing. We put it on (which was a feat all on its own) and put her out in her day area and Princess threw a tantrum. I thought she would just scream, instead she decided to destroy everything in her path non stop for 3hours :11:. Good thing she has plenty of toys. She was literately out there tearing them apart, tearing them apart. Even stuff that she never touches. It was good that she had an outlet. Now shes sitting on me falling asleep because she has exhausted her self. She seems to already be adjusting to it, we'll see. Hopefully we can get it to stay on her long enough for the chest to heal. Skin infections in birds is a very scary thing and I'm super worried about her.

Last edited:

QuackQuack

Oct 20, 2011
Midwest USA
Parrots
KITTY: Pineapple Green Cheek Conure (2 year old)
BODE: Nanday Conure (5 years old)
KIWI & BLUE: English Budgerigars (RIP after 10 years)
Poor birdy - I'm glad you take such good care of her though.

OP
Molcan2

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
Princess Rome- Moluccan Cockatoo (18yrs old), Rosie - Galah/Rose Breasted Cockatoo (2yr old)
I'm hoping that this round e-collar works. The vet said that if it didn't that she would need the traditional cone collars, she would really hate that. She seems to have a lot of freedom with this type of e-collar.

OP
Molcan2

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
Yes QuackQuak, I never hesitate to take her in, birds can go down hill so quickly. I feel like I have a responsibility to her to give her the best life possible. It was funny when we were at the vet getting her sized for the collar. After they picked the right size and took them all off, I was talking to the technician, and she took the closest collar and threw it at him and gave him a look that you could tell meant 'I hate you here's your stupid collar back'. It was real cute.

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Sully-2 year old cinnamon and Bella-3 year old normal
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
I hope she gets better quickly so she doesn't have to live with that evil collar too long.lol

QuackQuack

Oct 20, 2011
Midwest USA
Parrots
KITTY: Pineapple Green Cheek Conure (2 year old)
BODE: Nanday Conure (5 years old)
KIWI & BLUE: English Budgerigars (RIP after 10 years)
Is there a general timeline for how long they want her to wear it or is it just a 'see-what-happens' treatment?

Mozzie

Mar 20, 2012
Media
Utah
Parrots
African grey (peppers)
Blue crown conure (Mozzie)
Sun conure (sunny)
Jenday conure (Bo)
Blue fronted amazon (Casey)
Poor Rome!! I hope she recovers quickly. I agree, I am glad she has you to take such good care of her! She sure is beautiful. I have never had a cockatoo. They are so cool looking. Keep us updated on how she is doing.

OP
Molcan2

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
QuackQuak just until it heals, Toos can be nerotic sometimes, so just until its not itchy anymore.

Mare Miller, NO was not because of you. I was walking around the house and hit my knee on the coffee table. She hit the coffee table and then the floor.

Mare Miller

Banned
Banned
May 14, 2011
Media
sierra foothills of central California
Parrots
13yr. old male umbrella cockatoo,
we call him Amigo!

7yr. old Goffin cockatoo, she IS Sassy!!
My conscience is relieved but my heart still breaks for you both. Have you tried just letting her pluck around in the grass? I'll go out on a limb and say...these cockatoos are tougher than we think.

OP
Molcan2

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
I did try it, shes terrified of it. Ive got her where she will step down onto the ground now, baby steps.

Mare Miller

Banned
Banned
May 14, 2011
Media
sierra foothills of central California
Parrots
13yr. old male umbrella cockatoo,
we call him Amigo!

7yr. old Goffin cockatoo, she IS Sassy!!
I did try it, shes terrified of it. Ive got her where she will step down onto the ground now, baby steps.

This might sound silly but what I would do is...lay out a blanket on the lawn, put her on your shoulder, hand, where ever she's comfortable. Lay down on the blanket, yourself, and allow her to move on from there. Poor baby, I know you are trying so hard and you're right, baby steps are good.

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Poor baby :(.

'Another vet visit'? Have I missed something. Hope Princess is okay :(

OP
Molcan2

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
Thanks, I'll try the blanket idea ;). Especially with me gardening so much lately, its hard to garden with her on my shoulder. Shes like a monkey, if I bend down to plant something she climbs all over my back.

Mayden: I've only had her for a year. Previous home said she was healthy. I took her for an initial check up anyway, she was malnourished and BW showed liver problems. Good diet cleared up both of those problems. Last month she got an infection in one of her nostrils and had to have sinus flushes and nose drops (for 3wks, thank God for pine nuts). Then I go and hit the coffee table and she spooks.

Shes dealing with her collar better today, she is no longer on a rampage. She seems a little tired still, I think she really wore herself out yesterday.

Most Reactions