Yikes! I hurt him!

OP
happycat

happycat

Mar 9, 2012
Virginia, U.S.
Parrots
Kakariki (Kirby) Cockatiel (Shiro) Jenday Conure (Jojo)
Darn! He just regurgitated twice a few minutes after eating. :(

But, just something I thought I should mention, he HAS been regurgitating more for the past couple of weeks. Hes been in a hormonal stage, so I don't think one regurgitation is something worth losing sleep over.

Also I can't really tell, but sometimes it looks like he eats something and maybe is bringing it back up in his mouth and eating it again.

Last edited:
OP
happycat

happycat

Mar 9, 2012
Virginia, U.S.
Parrots
*sigh* Scratch that. Four times. Do you think its a coincidence that it happens when the medicine is starting to wear off?

Edit: 6 times....I guess we'll have to call the vet again...

Last edited:
OP
happycat

happycat

Mar 9, 2012
Virginia, U.S.
Parrots
10 times now. I gave him his medicine a few minutes ago and he is still regurgitating. I'm so confused. A whole day without regurgitating and now suddenly 10 times??

Last edited:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I think it's time to call the vet. A 'come down' off medication doesn't last *this* long normally. Especially since he was only on it for a couple days. Hope Kirby is ok.

OP
happycat

happycat

Mar 9, 2012
Virginia, U.S.
Parrots
I think it's time to call the vet. A 'come down' off medication doesn't last *this* long normally. Especially since he was only on it for a couple days. Hope Kirby is ok.
I gave it to him at about 10:00 AM. It couldn't last that long? Sometimes he even shakes his head and looks like he is about to regurgitate but doesn't

I'll give them a call. My mom is also very sick so we couldn't even drive him if we had to. :11:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
O no. What is your mom sick with? I might line up another family member or friend who can drive just in case he really needs to get in to see the vet. If your mom is having digestive symptoms too, it may be worth mentioning that to the vet when he/she calls back.

OP
happycat

happycat

Mar 9, 2012
Virginia, U.S.
Parrots
O no. What is your mom sick with? I might line up another family member or friend who can drive just in case he really needs to get in to see the vet. If your mom is having digestive symptoms too, it may be worth mentioning that to the vet when he/she calls back.

That is so kind of you!! Hopefully we won't need to, but thank you so much. She isn't actually sick with anything, her jaw is aching like crazy.

He is regurgitating so much. Almost every time I walk in he does it, which probably means he is doing it more when I am away. He has been nippy and hormonal lately. Couldn't it be a hormonal problem? They are really small.

Edit: Also, he always regurgitates in the same place. I covered up the area with a shirt and I haven't noticed anymore.

Last edited:

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
The chance that this is nothing to worry about is getting smaller and smaller. I mean, that's A LOT of regurgitation. I'm not saying there's definitely something seriously wrong with Kirby, but I am saying that you're at a point where only an examination by a good avian vet could really tell you for sure.

I think you should get him to an avian vet as soon as possible.

OP
happycat

happycat

Mar 9, 2012
Virginia, U.S.
Parrots
The chance that this is nothing to worry about is getting smaller and smaller. I mean, that's A LOT of regurgitation. I'm not saying there's definitely something seriously wrong with Kirby, but I am saying that you're at a point where only an examination by a good avian vet could really tell you for sure.

I think you should get him to an avian vet as soon as possible.

I don't know what to do now. He pooped and there may have been undigested food in it. Then again it could have also been food on the ground. I am really concerned it is Macaws Wasting disease. The symptoms are: undigested food in droppings, regurgitating a lot and weight loss. Its an extremely deadly disease. :(
I really can't take him to the vet tonight. We are broke after spending over 1000 dollars on our pets the past couple of months and like I said my mom isn't up to it. What should I do?

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
I don't think anyone BUT an avian vet can help at this point. I guess there's 'general' advice, such as keep him under a warming lamp, give extra water, from a syringe if needed so he doesn't become dehydrated from the vomiting and diarrhea. Change his paper and re-line the cage with paper towels so you can easily examine the contents of his next poop. Withhold food until the next time he poops, so you can accurately see whats coming out. But NONE of that will help a seriously ill bird in the way a vet who will examine them can. I'm hoping for the best for Kirby.

OP
happycat

happycat

Mar 9, 2012
Virginia, U.S.
Parrots
His last poop was normal. So until further notice that rules out Macaw Wasting disease.

As much as it pains me to say it, I think the only thing I can do is wait. Right now sleep is the best medicine and me waking him up isn't helping. So could it still just be a medicine reaction?

OP
happycat

happycat

Mar 9, 2012
Virginia, U.S.
Parrots
I went against vet's orders and stopped the medicine today. Knock on wood (one thousand times) but I haven't noticed any regurgitation today!

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
I really hope it was just a bad reaction to the medication. Just keep observing him, keeping an eye out especially for weight loss and unusual discharge. April's idea about changing the paper to more easily make out the contents and condition of his poop is a good one.

Has his leg improved any?

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
I am also curious how Kirby has been doing? Has he improved since discontinuing the pain meds? Have you been getting him extra fluids to compensate for the vomiting? Is he eating? I don't know what kind of pain meds they prescribe to birds, but I know the ones given to humans can make you sick.

I injured my foot during a out of state trip for work once, and was prescribed vicodin at the hospital. I took 2 pills as per the prescription I was given, and got so violently ill I thought I was going to die alone on the bathroom floor of the hotel room. I couldn't even move to reach a phone I was so sick/out of it and missed my flight home the next morning. I was 'off' for a few days and decided the pain was better than taking that stuff again! That's wasn't the last time I had a extreme reaction to medication either (the other medication was for a completely different issue, but that one made me feel as though I was burning alive from the inside out). Maybe Kirby had the birdie version of that pain pill reaction, the poor little guy. Anyhow, I hope he's doing better today/tomorrow (it is getting later).

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Wow April :eek: how horrible you had that adverse a reaction to meds! I'm pretty sensitive to meds myself, but luckily nothing quite THAT BAD has happened to me.

I do hope Kirby's symptoms are just something like a bad reaction, and not PDD (more common name for Macaw Wasting disease) which is unfortunately common in any species.

How is his weight now? Is he truly vomiting by shaking his head violently side to side (not a controlled up and down)?

OP
happycat

happycat

Mar 9, 2012
Virginia, U.S.
Parrots
Wow April :eek: how horrible you had that adverse a reaction to meds! I'm pretty sensitive to meds myself, but luckily nothing quite THAT BAD has happened to me.

I do hope Kirby's symptoms are just something like a bad reaction, and not PDD (more common name for Macaw Wasting disease) which is unfortunately common in any species.

How is his weight now? Is he truly vomiting by shaking his head violently side to side (not a controlled up and down)?

He is eating, pooping, and drinking normally. He is regurgitating and it doesn't look violent at all. I also hope that!

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
Have you ever noticed sexual behavior from Kirby before? Maybe the trauma and meds kickstarted puberty? I have no clue when kakarikis hit puberty though or what their typical pattern of behavior while hormonal is.....

At least he's eating/drinking/pooping. Thats always a better sign than not.

Most Reactions

Latest posts