YNA or Noble Macaw

OP
K

KYBirdman

Feb 2, 2020
South Eastern Kentucky
Parrots
Green Indian Ringneck, 2 Cockateils, and a Parakeet
Thanks again everyone for all the help. I think the Noble will be the best choice if it chooses me when I go to meet it soon.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Nobles are not very common. You’d have a much easier time finding hahns macaw. Same species, just different subspecies. Very little difference.

Yes i know, there’s a breeder in Melbourne. You’re not helping! LOL!!

Well I’m not here to dissuade! I know you take amazing care of your flock, A macaw would be a fascinating addition to your eclectic group :)

Thanks again everyone for all the help. I think the Noble will be the best choice if it chooses me when I go to meet it soon.

Aw great to hear :) give some leeway too if the bird doesn’t automatically come running to you. I have a good relationship with my bird, but I actually got bit the first time I met Parker, but that’s because in my trying to get him to step up I pushed him too far. He’s been a great addition, though putting me through the wringer sometimes to the point of tears, especially when hormonal.

Birds are super easy...said nobody, ever.

OP
K

KYBirdman

Feb 2, 2020
South Eastern Kentucky
Parrots
Isn’t that the truth. I have another question since the bird is a pretty bad plucked and the rescue doubts there will be any new feather growth. What temperature should the house be set at? It stays around 68-70 degrees Fahrenheit depending on the month. Would that be to cold for one? I can upload pictures if I can ever figure out how too.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

My boy is a plucker - well, barberer (chews his feathers, rather than pulls them), so they grow back when he moly’s in August every year. As long as your comfortable, your bird will be comfortable. Maybe consider a hearted in his room in the winter to keep the temperature above 70f. That’s about it, I wouldn’t worry too much about it.

OP
K

KYBirdman

Feb 2, 2020
South Eastern Kentucky
Parrots
The rescue has some Hoodies that would come with him and they mentioned something about a Sock Buddy. Have you heard anything about a sock buddy before?
Here is a picture of the Noble Macaw, his name is Toby.

Attachments

• DFF38A9F-1C48-4D5D-8758-E06184DD0645.jpg
    DFF38A9F-1C48-4D5D-8758-E06184DD0645.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 80

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to the forums, deep respect for considering a plucked rescue. The Noble has a beautiful presence!!

Good luck with your selection and "interview" with the Noble!!

OP
K

KYBirdman

Feb 2, 2020
South Eastern Kentucky
Parrots
I ended up getting a message from the Rescue today and they had some good and bad news. The bad news was that they are having to close the rescue and move out of state. This is a great resource that Central Kentucky is losing. The good news was they still had the Noble Macaw and would waive the adoption fee if I could pick him up and his cage today. So I made the four hour trip and am now the proud parrent of a Noble Macaw.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Congratulations! You know, we ARE fans of photos around here *hint hint*

OP
K

KYBirdman

Feb 2, 2020
South Eastern Kentucky
Parrots
This is picture that I have from our ride home. Will have more tomorrow once he’s settled in.

Attachments

• 878CA92B-8CA7-406B-9B9B-9715C641A677.jpg
    878CA92B-8CA7-406B-9B9B-9715C641A677.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 58
OP
K

KYBirdman

Feb 2, 2020
South Eastern Kentucky
Parrots
Is it normal for Noble Macaws to be so friendly? I got him out of the carrier and he immediately stepped up on my hands and would let me feed him. Then today he would step right up and let me move him to his play stand on his cage and then came over to the chair will me and sat up there a while. I figured it would have taken at least a week or two if not longer to get to the stage that he is with me. He could just be a friendly bird I guess.

Most Reactions

Latest posts