Yolo

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I assume most folks have seen ads that say BOGO (buy one ,get one) well i saw a new one today, YOLO. Figured it out yet? Took me about 2 seconds, My motto, LOL

MissyMe83

Nov 29, 2011
Indiana
Parrots
Tate ~~
White Capped Pionus -
Violet ~~ Yellow Naped Amazon - Jupiter ~~ Baby B&G Macaw (coming soon)
Lol, yes... Am I the only one totally annoyed with seeing it everywhere?

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
I am too old to learn a new language which is why I don't know how to text:54::D

Nocturnal

May 15, 2013
A secret place
Parrots
||Mika, 23 yo senegal parrot||Cayenne, 5 yo sun conure||Katana, 6 yo cockatiel||Monk, 4 yo peachfaced lovie||Onyx, 8 yo BH caique||Pluto & Neptune, 4 yo budgies||Tauntaun, 17 yo U2||
You Obviously Love Ornithology (study of birds! 8D YES)

People shout it before doing /really/ stupid things. So... it annoys me. (with the actual meaning intended)...

SparkkiSparkS

Nov 14, 2011
SC
Parrots
2 Plum Heads. Indian Ringneck. Hahns Macaw <3
I actually had a 13 year old answer the phone the other day and say YOLO! ugh I would be happy never hearing/seeing it again..

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Just to give you all a really good laugh, I had NO idea what it meant. I'm quite comfy living under my rock and am planning on staying there. :54:

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
I didn't have a clue either Wendy! I will join you under your rock and stay there. LOL!

Grinder

Jan 26, 2013
East Coast, U.S.
Parrots
Military Macaw - 'Lady",
GW Macaw - "Jazzy"
Sadly. I know the origin of YOLO. Lots of younger people think it comes from a rap song, but it only came into the main stream through that song. The term started in WWII when a young pilot in the Navy only had $11 left to his name and was playing in poker game. He had a pocket pair of jacks and someone raised before him and he went 'All In' with $11, saying "What the hell, you only live once.". The hand wasn't finished as his squadron was scrambled during an air raid. The cards and money were left on the cots and everyone ran to their duties and stations. The young pilot made it back, but the person who was in that hand did not. That person it turns out had a pocket pair of Aces. The men looked at the flop, turn & river cards and the young pilot would have rivered a set of Jacks, winning the hand. He took the winnings and sent them to the mother of the dead player and on the return address he wrote Y.O.L.O.

So now when a poker player bets $11 he simply says 'YOLO'.

CaitlinBird

May 9, 2013
Media
Parrots
Achilles my blind Cockatiel, she is four years old.

a Moluccan Cockatoo that it's over 30 years old.
Haha. Hard to ignore this stuff when you work at a theme park! I feel like it's used with the same kids that obsess over "swag".

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fargo- Blue and Gold Macaw
Hahaha As an 18 year old on facebook, sadly i see it everywhere..

Girls who are maybe 14-15 holding alcohol or a smoke, and put a status to is saying 'YOLO' :eek:

I HATE it, i have never used it, and most of the people who do use it, are just stupid..
I think well YODO.. you only die once as well :p

YOLO, along with Swag, and Hipster :20:

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Tab, those of us who are thrice & more your age had our time & sayings too, though they were more about free spirits and the proficies of Timothy Leary...and most things in between.....

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fargo- Blue and Gold Macaw
Yes but Weco, in your days people didnt do stupid things while uttering these sayings ;)
You know, wearing pants below your knees with a baggy shirt and a hat covering your face and saying you got 'swag' :p haha

DallyTsuka

Mar 19, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Dallas and Tsukasa (Cockatiels)
Mango and Munchlax (Peach Faced Lovebirds)
while there is truth behind it, doing stupid things while going under this saying bothers me. too many selfish decisions are made under this saying. you may only live once, but decisions affect everyone :p

drives me nuts seeing it everywhere, it's basically an excuse card for people to get away with something stupid. well, it wont get them far. sayings like that make kids reckless and it can hurt others.

i wish i lived under a rock some days lol

OP
henpecked

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Dang, i'm sorry i brought it up! It was new to me, but i don't do facebook. Guess us "boomers" are just too far behind the times.(see if they can figure that one out)

Last edited:

CaitlinBird

May 9, 2013
Media
Parrots
Achilles my blind Cockatiel, she is four years old.

a Moluccan Cockatoo that it's over 30 years old.
Here's something to blur the age gap and give a little chuckle.
02eb01ca9ddd5b4e9b33f438b9c04dbc836b8a6d063adb90715a7800129c7302_1.jpg

Most Reactions