Your thoughts .. :)

Arcane

Jul 8, 2011
Hello all !

I bought a wonderful blue fronted amazon a week ago . :green:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rS6MK-yrQQ8]YouTube - ‪Blue Fronted Amazon‬‏[/ame]

( from 0:10 to 1:11 )

Is it normal behavior ?

Thanks in advance !

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
I don't own an Amazon, but I would highly recommend that you take your newly aquired bird to a vet for a checkup.

Also, a little back ground on your bird is always helpful like:

Age of the bird if known, how did you aquire him/her(was it a second, third or ??? hand bird, sex if known?

It's a beautiful bird and looks healthy and from what I can tell, happy. He may just be trying to get your attention.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I didn't finish the video ,but i'd say that's a young male .The problem is a sterile envrioment,TOYS,TOYS and some more TOYS,That and some human interaction,Zons that age like hanging toys ,foot toys ,bells all that kind of stuff and you,You should be handling that bird and playing with it,before it get's bored and develops behavioral problems,just my 2 cents worth, that could be a great pet. Oh and to answer your question,yes that looks to be normal immature amazon behavior , my wife calls that behavior "spooking",young zon looking to play.Good luck

Last edited:
OP
A

Arcane

Jul 8, 2011
I don't own an Amazon, but I would highly recommend that you take your newly aquired bird to a vet for a checkup.

Also, a little back ground on your bird is always helpful like:

Age of the bird if known, how did you aquire him/her(was it a second, third or ??? hand bird, sex if known?

It's a beautiful bird and looks healthy and from what I can tell, happy. He may just be trying to get your attention.

I'll take him tomorrow .. :)

He is about 5 months age old ;)

My 2 african grey parrots and i with him all the day .. hehehe :D

Thanks for your response !

I didn't finish the video ,but i'd say that's a young male .The problem is a sterile envrioment,TOYS,TOYS and some more TOYS,That and some human interaction,Zons that age like hanging toys ,foot toys ,bells all that kind of stuff and you,You should be handling that bird and playing with it,before it get's bored and develops behavioral problems,just my 2 cents worth, that could be a great pet. Oh and to answer your question,yes that looks to be normal immature amazon behavior , my wife calls that behavior "spooking",young zon looking to play.Good luck

This sterile enviroment for the sleeping time .. so don't worry about that :rolleyes:

About the toys ..

I have some toys but it has colorant material on them and I'm afraid it would be hazard to my birds! so what do you think? Are they dangerous ?

Spooking spooking & Thanks for your answer :)

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Most of the colored toys i've seen are colored with food color which is OK but will rub off, i don't use the colored blocks/chew toys but i make my own.Sorry didn't realize you owned other parrots, just assumed this was your first,my fault.

Tammy

May 4, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Orange Wing Amazon
My Amazon does all kinds of funny dances. He also does the one leg up thing all the time. My mom used to think he wanted her to pick him up because he would hold one leg up when she was next to him. Then when she puts her hand there to pick him up he would put his leg down & try to bite her. It was their little game. She would tell him she wasn't falling for his tricks & he'd get disappointed & keep trying to coax her to try to pick him up. From what I've heard on here & seen from my Amazon "normal Amazon behavior" includes just about anything you can imagine!

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Hey Tammy i think your right about "normal amazon behavior".I have several rescue birds that pick up their foot and act like they want to be picked up or step up, but when they get a grip on your finger they bite the tar out of you.Oh they love petting and striches and will step up but yeah when they hold out their foot it's to get a grip on your finger so they can let you have it.Haven't figured that one out yet. LOL
Hey how do you like your OWA ? i have several and that video reminds me of some immatures i have(teenagers) OWAs seem to be the most Playful of the zons,IMO

Last edited:

kerry

Jul 3, 2011
In a suburb of Minneapolis, MN
Parrots
Yellow Naped Amazon -female, Umbrella Cockatoo - female.
Yes that is normal behavior I have over 11 years of 1 on 1 experience with Amazon behavior. If you will notice, every time that he moves, the cage makes a rattling noise. He is just checking out his environment & trying to amuse himself & trying to find something to do. Give him some toys, my Yellow Naped Amazon loves leather & rope toys, she talks to one like it is her partner or a person.
It is very good to know what situation that your bird came out of, where did you acquire the amazon from? Was it a hand fed baby? Who did you get it from, was is neglected or left alone for a long time, is he from a pet store? These are all important considerations when acquiring a bird.
By the way the person above who stated his age has no way to know that from the video.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
I think she posted he was about 5 months old, "he" appears to be a young bird to me in the video, that's why i said what i said , but your right i have no way of knowing. I would have thought the sex was more of a stretch than the age.LOL

Last edited:

Tammy

May 4, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Orange Wing Amazon
Hey Tammy
Hey how do you like your OWA ? i have several and that video reminds me of some immatures i have(teenagers) OWAs seem to be the most Playful of the zons,IMO

This is the first bird I've ever had & I absolutely love it! He's my best friend and always making me laugh. I took him outside today to experience rain for the first time. He loves the shower but has never been out in rain. He kept looking up in the sky to see where the top of shower was. LOL.

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
Bean the Blue Front Amazon, Chico the Ringneck, and Ida the African grey
If the cage he is on is the cage he lives in I would recommend getting a much bigger one. That one is quite small for an amazon.

Conurekidd

Mar 30, 2011
Southern Calif
Parrots
YC Amazon Sampson

Sun Conure Bella

Cinn Green Cheek Conure Rexx
The op said that it was a sleeping arrangement. But I'd agree if that is the home I'd get a larger one. More sturdy. When he's over a year he will be able to break the welds no prob. But that baby playful Behaviour. If haven vetted yet I'd take him to a vet. That's just protocol. But that your avrage baby who wants to play. Whoever said he's shaking the cage to hear it rattle is right. :)

stephend

Jun 7, 2011
Denver
Parrots
Acorn - a Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure;
Bob - a Cockatiel;
Cricket - an American Budgie
I only have experience with Bob, a tiel, but nothing I saw would concern me, although I would guess that the breeder, or a previous owner had a dog.

OP
A

Arcane

Jul 8, 2011
Most of the colored toys i've seen are colored with food color which is OK but will rub off, i don't use the colored blocks/chew toys but i make my own.Sorry didn't realize you owned other parrots, just assumed this was your first,my fault.

... I think she posted he was about 5 months old...

I'm " He " :eek:

I see .

Thanks very much !

..Then when she puts her hand there to pick him up he would put his leg down & try to bite her. It was their little game. She would tell him she wasn't falling for his tricks & he'd get disappointed & keep trying to coax her to try to pick him up. From what I've heard on here & seen from my Amazon "normal Amazon behavior" includes just about anything you can imagine!

Hehehe same here.

Thanks for your reply =)

Yes that is normal behavior I have over 11 years of 1 on 1 experience with Amazon behavior. If you will notice, every time that he moves, the cage makes a rattling noise. He is just checking out his environment & trying to amuse himself & trying to find something to do. Give him some toys, my Yellow Naped Amazon loves leather & rope toys, she talks to one like it is her partner or a person.
It is very good to know what situation that your bird came out of, where did you acquire the amazon from? Was it a hand fed baby? Who did you get it from, was is neglected or left alone for a long time, is he from a pet store? These are all important considerations when acquiring a bird.

Yeah that's right =)

My concerns was with these sudden movements . I thought maybe a " micro" fly gets into his feathers somehow lol = |

Thanks for your response !

If the cage he is on is the cage he lives in I would recommend getting a much bigger one. That one is quite small for an amazon.

The op said that it was a sleeping arrangement. But I'd agree if that is the home I'd get a larger one. More sturdy. When he's over a year he will be able to break the welds no prob. But that baby playful Behaviour. If haven vetted yet I'd take him to a vet. That's just protocol. But that your avrage baby who wants to play. Whoever said he's shaking the cage to hear it rattle is right. :)

Yup. I'm planning to get a larger cage next week. In the meanwhile, I mostly keep him out from his cage with me.

Thanks !

I only have experience with Bob, a tiel, but nothing I saw would concern me, although I would guess that the breeder, or a previous owner had a dog.

Thanks for your input ..

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Quote: Originally Posted by henpecked

I'm " He "

Oops , sorry dude:confused:

OP
A

Arcane

Jul 8, 2011
Quote: Originally Posted by henpecked

I'm " He "

Oops , sorry dude:confused:

It's okay .. but guess who is "she" my AMAZON lol :D

Most Reactions